Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D - I'm a believer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Wipeout HD in 3D - I'm a believer!

Ok, I know there is alot of hate out there for this whole 3D push, but I'm telling ya... after playing Wipeout HD in 3D, I'm a total believer in this 3D future. The sensation was amazing to me while experiencing it for the first time. Prior to Wipeout HD ever receiving a 3D facelift, I always thought that it was one of the best games I've played this generation. Maybe it wasn't a hyped up, major retail release (being a downloadable PSN game) , but Wipeout HD is well worth every single penny, even if it was priced much higher. I'm a huge fan of the game, and have put countless hours into it. The non-3D visuals have always been outstanding, representing some of the highest graphical achievements on the PS3 so far.

So, I play it tonight for the first time in stunning 3D, and let me tell you... it was jaw dropping. I've seen some mediocre 3D out there, but this definitely doesn't qualify as mediocre. This is some absolutely legit 3D. The display that was being used was a Panasonic TC-P50VT20 50 inch plasma. The 3D Panasonic plasmas are well known right now as the best 3D displays available. Wipeout HD, in 3D, on the Panny plasma was like stepping into another world. It was like I was "inside" the world of Wipeout.

When the race is over, and it shows the replay, you get to see so much more detail in the world of Wipeout. I've seen things in five minutes of playing it in 3D, that I never noticed in countless hours playing it normally. Details are everywhere, and when playing in 3D, they are more noticeable. This isn't something that is only perceptible during replays either. The effect is strong during the actual race itself. It's just you're blazing along so fast, that it's hard to take in all the visual splendor.

We had the music really cranked up, and this, combined with the 3D visuals, was sensory overload. I seriously started to think that this is the first thing that I've seen that really seems future-like. I mean, we are in the year 2010, and as a little kid during the 80's, this is kinda what I imagined things would be like in the future. It really is a glimpse into the future of gaming.

We also played a demo of MLB 10: The Show in 3D, and it was another showcase game displaying off what 3D brings to the table. Again, like stepping into the virtual world. It's like you climb inside your TV, and you can sit there and look at the MLB world, as a live spectator. It's like being at the actual event, rather than watching it from a remote perspective. Hard to explain, but the immersion is really pumped up. Those are the only two games we have played in 3D so far. I hope to try Super Stardust HD and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    We had the music really cranked up, and this, combined with the 3D visuals, was sensory overload.
    Sounds like we need Rez in 3D. Synaesthesia.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Sounds like we need Rez in 3D. Synaesthesia.
    My brain would explode!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, sounds like fun, do you have to wear a head set virtual reality style or was it like the 3DS? I have no idea, I have yet to experience modern 3D.

Ok, I know there is alot of hate out there for this whole 3D push, but I'm telling ya... after playing Wipeout HD in 3D, I'm a total believer in this 3D future. The sensation was amazing to me while experiencing it for the first time. Prior to Wipeout HD ever receiving a 3D facelift, I always thought that it was one of the best games I've played this generation. Maybe it wasn't a hyped up, major retail release (being a downloadable PSN game) , but Wipeout HD is well worth every single penny, even if it was priced much higher. I'm a huge fan of the game, and have put countless hours into it. The non-3D visuals have always been outstanding, representing some of the highest graphical achievements on the PS3 so far.

So, I play it tonight for the first time in stunning 3D, and let me tell you... it was jaw dropping. I've seen some mediocre 3D out there, but this definitely doesn't qualify as mediocre. This is some absolutely legit 3D. The display that was being used was a Panasonic TC-P50VT20 50 inch plasma. The 3D Panasonic plasmas are well known right now as the best 3D displays available. Wipeout HD, in 3D, on the Panny plasma was like stepping into another world. It was like I was "inside" the world of Wipeout.

When the race is over, and it shows the replay, you get to see so much more detail in the world of Wipeout. I've seen things in five minutes of playing it in 3D, that I never noticed in countless hours playing it normally. Details are everywhere, and when playing in 3D, they are more noticeable. This isn't something that is only perceptible during replays either. The effect is strong during the actual race itself. It's just you're blazing along so fast, that it's hard to take in all the visual splendor.

We had the music really cranked up, and this, combined with the 3D visuals, was sensory overload. I seriously started to think that this is the first thing that I've seen that really seems future-like. I mean, we are in the year 2010, and as a little kid during the 80's, this is kinda what I imagined things would be like in the future. It really is a glimpse into the future of gaming.

We also played a demo of MLB 10: The Show in 3D, and it was another showcase game displaying off what 3D brings to the table. Again, like stepping into the virtual world. It's like you climb inside your TV, and you can sit there and look at the MLB world, as a live spectator. It's like being at the actual event, rather than watching it from a remote perspective. Hard to explain, but the immersion is really pumped up. Those are the only two games we have played in 3D so far. I hope to try Super Stardust HD and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift soon.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading this post is the first time I've ever thought to myself: This guy could be a corporate shill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Reading this post is the first time I've ever thought to myself: This guy could be a corporate shill.
    Echo that.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Every time someone raves about how amazing 3D is, I remember how underwhelmed I was when watching 3D movies in theaters (I'm looking at you Avatar) and those 3D TV demos at stores. It's just a fad plain and simple, people will get over it once the novelty wears off. Only thing I see coming from it is everyone getting a headache and game prices getting jacked up because they're in "glorious" 3D.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I was impressed with Avatar, but I wasn't so impressed with the HD Samsung tv I saw at Best Buy.

If 3D is still in the market a few years from now when I upgrade from my ancient 720p tv (a haggard 3 years old), I will buy one since you can always turn off the 3D.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

A major problem with "marketing" 3D gaming is that people NEED to put the glasses on, sit down, and experience a GOOD EXAMPLE of the technology.

If we can't get our hands on a regular 2D game demo, most of us are satisfied with photos and video to make a decision about whether or not we'll enjoy the product.

3D simply can't be conveyed by any other means than a full on product demonstration.

I'm sure that we're going to see Sony pump a lot of money into "demo kiosks" at retail in the months to come ... but no matter how good the word of mouth is on the product (and as somebody who embraces all facets of gaming, I DO think it's awesome that WCP has found themselves enjoying a well made 3D game) this is going to be a very very difficult thing to sell, even WITH great word of mouth.

Eventually 3D will be a standard feature in TVs, and to some it'll be as much of an after-thought as picture-in-picture ... but I thnk that when and only when it's standard will we really see game developers embrace it and/or REALLY get innovative with it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The 3D films I've seen lately are good uses of the technology, but those were in REAL-D or IMAX theaters. Haven't seen any on one of the 3D televisions yet. However, after a 3D movie in the theater of 2 hours, my eyes are really worn out. I cannot see myself or most people, being able to watch a movie or play a video game frequently. So the TV's have to do something that doesn't tire your eyes out.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^That's possibly another area where the 3DS wins. Portable gaming is more suitable to playing in short bursts. I think really what makes the 3DS interesting here is at the price Nintendo will release it at it's an affordable foray into 3D. Depending on how it turns out you'll get to see if it's worth paying for a 3DTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

3DS actually felt less portable, at least for the 3D aspect. I spent a lot of time adjusting the 3D slider and moving the unit closer and farther from my face to actually have the 3D "work"

Games with scores or information or anything happening that wasn't dead center on the screen took time to refocus my eyes to actually read. ie Starfox. Looking up and down between the top and bottom screens also needed a refocus.

Think when you watch 3D movies in the theater. To really experience the 3D you need to let your eyes kinda relax. Now picture watching a subtitled movie in 3D. Imagine the headache.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think we just have to wait for holographics.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

WTF??

Do a search on all my posts and read them if you really think that.

Believe me, I've seen some shitty 3D. In fact, the first time I saw these new 3Dtv's was at Best Buy. They had a Samsung LCD 3Dtv that looked like absolute crap. They were playing a 3D Blu Ray version of Monsters vs. Aliens, and the 3D quality was laughable. I thought to myself that if this is the new 3D, then they can totally forget about mass adoption, because it ain't gonna happen.

It turns out that the Samsungs just aren't very good, and it isn't a fault of 3D itself, but the quality of the display. When you see the 3D on a Panasonic plasma, it's like a night and day difference between the demo I got on the Samsung. The Panasonic 3D was super legit, and it just worked, and worked well. If I'm a corporate shill of anything, then I guess it would be the Panasonic plasmas, because they really have blown me away with their 3D quality.

The sad thing is, that if you see crappy 3D, then you think the entire technology is a joke. So, a lot of the people seeing 3D demos of the Samsungs are probably coming away from the experience underwhelmed. I've heard that the first wave of the Sony 3Dtv's are kinda lame as well. All I can say is check out a demo of 3D on one of the new Panasonics, and I'm sure you'll be somewhat amazed at what you're seeing. Especially if you can see Wipeout HD in 3D. That is a real killer app as far as 3D is concerned. I still haven't checked out Super Stardust HD or Motorstorm Pacific Rift in 3D, so I'll see how those turn out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I still haven't checked out Super Stardust HD or Motorstorm Pacific Rift in 3D, so I'll see how those turn out.
    The reason why Wipeout HD is probably good in 3d is because it's a racing game.

I'm sure a standard racing game such as Gran Turismo 5 or Test Drive Unlimited 2 being in 3d will probably look better due to the cockpit mode. The cockpit mode is obviously designed to make you feel like you're in the vehicle. Pair that with 3d and a racing wheel accessory for possibly the best racing experience ever?

*edit*

Unfortunately Test Drive Unlimited 2 won't be in 3d unless they add it in the next few months. So if it really is that amazing then the best racing game will be the best non 3d racing game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The reason why Wipeout HD is probably good in 3d is because it's a racing game.

I'm sure a standard racing game such as Gran Turismo 5 or Test Drive Unlimited 2 being in 3d will probably look better due to the cockpit mode. The cockpit mode is obviously designed to make you feel like you're in the vehicle. Pair that with 3d and a racing wheel accessory for possibly the best racing experience ever?

You know the funny thing is, I've now played two 3D racers (Wipeout and Pacific Rift) and I haven't tried the cockpit view in either game. All my gaming career, I've used the behind the car/ship view. I'm not sure why, but I've always been like that. Still, I should definitely try cockpit for a little bit the next time I play them.

I think having the behind the car view might actually be better in 3D though, because of the fact that the car basically looks like it is kinda popping out of the screen, and then the track looks like it's going into the screen with a convincing sense of depth. It's a great combination, that lends itself well to basically all racing games.

Ok.... So, I tried out the other two games today. Super Stardust HD and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. First, I tried Super Stardust. The game asks you if you want to play in 3D mode, and you select yes, and then all of a sudden there is this tremendous sensation of depth going out into space. It's really freaky just to look at the title screen, and see the stars out in space. Mesmerizing. Then the game starts. Man, I've played a crapton of Super Stardust, and the sensation was just like Wipeout for me. It felt like I was hovering out in space, watching everything take place from a much different vantage point. The Asteroids would rotate around the planet in a way that was absolutely fascinating. The 3D effect is immediately impressive. The 360 degree nature of the game lends itself perfectly to the third dimension.

Up next was Motorstorm. Wowzers.... Pacific Rift is easily the most impressive 3D that I've seen thus far. Super Stardust and Wipeout HD are very, very close, but Pacific Rift reigns supreme, for the moment at least.. This game freaking blew me away. Really, the main thing that stood out to me, was the fact that you could just see so damn far into the screen. Like, you would look "into" the screen, and see the track unfolding before you, with about a half-mile range of vision.

One worry about this, is that I think it could possibly make the game too easy, because you can see the twists and turns that are coming up so much better. You can really see into the distance much more, and be able to know how the pathway is defined.

I need to play much more of these four 3D games to get a better feel for how all of them perform after more extensive playtesting. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, is only a demo, and it's only one track. That is one thing that really sucks about these four games, two of them are only demos. MLB '10: The Show is the same way. I don't own either retail game, but was planning on going to the store and picking them up, but for whatever reason, the 3D is only working in the demos. I'm not sure why they don't have an update to the full versions of those games.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WTF??

Do a search on all my posts and read them if you really think that.

Believe me, I've seen some shitty 3D. In fact, the first time I saw these new 3Dtv's was at Best Buy. They had a Samsung LCD 3Dtv that looked like absolute crap. They were playing a 3D Blu Ray version of Monsters vs. Aliens, and the 3D quality was laughable. I thought to myself that if this is the new 3D, then they can totally forget about mass adoption, because it ain't gonna happen.

It turns out that the Samsungs just aren't very good, and it isn't a fault of 3D itself, but the quality of the display. When you see the 3D on a Panasonic plasma, it's like a night and day difference between the demo I got on the Samsung. The Panasonic 3D was super legit, and it just worked, and worked well. If I'm a corporate shill of anything, then I guess it would be the Panasonic plasmas, because they really have blown me away with their 3D quality.

The sad thing is, that if you see crappy 3D, then you think the entire technology is a joke. So, a lot of the people seeing 3D demos of the Samsungs are probably coming away from the experience underwhelmed. I've heard that the first wave of the Sony 3Dtv's are kinda lame as well. All I can say is check out a demo of 3D on one of the new Panasonics, and I'm sure you'll be somewhat amazed at what you're seeing. Especially if you can see Wipeout HD in 3D. That is a real killer app as far as 3D is concerned. I still haven't checked out Super Stardust HD or Motorstorm Pacific Rift in 3D, so I'll see how those turn out.
    I stand by what I said, the post reads like a sales brochure for 3D. Either way, that's one huge boner you have for 3D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I stand by what I said, the post reads like a sales brochure for 3D. Either way, that's one huge boner you have for 3D.
    Learn some manners. There's nothing wrong with his excitement. Myself and probably others appreciate his first hand impressions. If you don't, move along please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Learn some manners. There's nothing wrong with his excitement. Myself and probably others appreciate his first hand impressions. If you don't, move along please.
    This. I'm glad to see people excited about new tech, whether it's something I'm personally into or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember how silly I thought it was when games complained about HD for thew new systems. They said how it did not add to the game, how much more it would cost, how Nintendo was smart not to have it. I always thought they either did not like Microsoft and Sony or just did not want to spend the cash to upgrade to HD. Well not with this 3D crap coming out , I am starting to see their point.