Thread: Any Jaguar owners get the dreaded "Red Screen of Death&

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any Jaguar owners get the dreaded "Red Screen of Death&

I recently bought a Jag off of Ebay, and I'm getting the dreaded "Red Screen of Death".

What happens is, when I turn the unit on, the Jaguar logo appears, like normal. Then the whole screen turns Red, with the Jaguar logo still onscreen. Then it just stays like that, until I turn the unit off.

I was reading a Jag FAQ on some website, that said that if this happens to clean the contacts of the game cartridge. I did so with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, but no luck. I only have one single Jag game to try this with, so it's possible the game could be defective. The FAQ said that this is another possible reason for the "Red Screen of Death".

Another possible reason is that one of the pins in the actual cartridge slot is bent slightly out of position. I looked at all the pins and they all appear to be fine.

I'm wondering if I should clean the actual cartridge slot with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol? I don't want to make this machine even worse, but I don't know what I should do now. I guess I should get another Jaguar game to see if the game has anything to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After you make sure the cart is clean, put the cart in the Jag all the way, then pull it out SLIGHTLY. So, the cart will still be making contact with the system. Then turn it on and see if it works. Any time I got that red screen I would do this and it would work fine. Actually, with some games this is the only way it would work.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I think certain cartridges are funny that way. The only game I ever had that did that was Syndicate...I think that's the one. I don't have it anymore. I also got tired of having to adjust the CD unit every time I wanted to use it which is the main reason I don't have that anymore either.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I actually cleaned the cartridge slot with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol, and it Worked!

Sweet!

Well, it worked for now, anyways. I still don't have a controller yet, I got this system off ebay and it was just the Jag by itself, with no power adapter, no cables, no controller, no nothing. The good news is that it only cost me $10.50 for the system, and another 8 bucks for shipping. I got Cybermorph for $2.25 in a seperate auction, with FREE SHIPPING! I have a Sega Genesis power adapter, which works with it, and a old RGB Cable to hook it up to a RGB monitor.

I also won another auction for 10 bucks for a Controller, RFU Switch, broken AC Adapter and a broken Jag system. Basically, I just wanted the controller and the RFU Adapter. But who knows, maybe that broken Jag just needs some Rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

This will be the inspiration for me to try again on my two Jag games that don't work...

Club Drive and Trevor McFur

On second thought, maybe I won't try and fix them
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should try club drive. The game sucks, but the get the kooshball mini game rocks. They where also able to render a car with only using like 5 quads. An amazing artistic accomplishment.
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some weird reason I like Trevor McFur. So if you feel like your going to throw it away, you can donate it to me first.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Sorry, I'm not going to toss them out...after my convention ends tomorrow, I'm going to try and clean it up in the coming week.

If they still don't work, we'll talk
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Club Drive was fun. It's not pretty but it can be entertaining for awhile just driving around and exploring the virtual world to see how far it goes. I only paid $5 for it new and it's worth it. There are some interesting easter eggs and hidden areas in the game. I'd rather play this on my Jag than another Amiga port.

Trevor McFur is great looking but impossible to play IMHO. This game was rumoured to have actually been developed for the unreleased Panther system and then quickly ported over to Jag as a launch release title.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Anthony1, one way of cleaning the cartridge slot (for future reference) would be to take a thin cloth like a hankerchief and soak the edges in alchohol. Then you wrap it over the edge of a credit card and run it in there a few times up and down. Gets a ton of dirt along the insides of the contacts that q-tips don't reach. Another benefit to not using q-tips is that there are no cotton shreds getting loose and sticking.