Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rare games to get for Nintendo DS?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What rare games to get for Nintendo DS?

With the news about the 3DS recently, i've taken a liking to collecting some of the more rare Nintendo DS games (in anticipation of their future value).

Is there any games that people would recommend I collect?

I heard about electroplankton and the monopoly / boggle / yahtzee / battleship games that i'm considering getting.

So far i've collected all the Final Fantasy's, Chronotrigger, Suikoden, both of the Shin Megami Tensei games, both of the Rune Factory games, Valkyrie Profile, all of the Dragon Quest games (4, 5, joker, and rocket slime, and ix in the future) and some other RPG's that I thought would be worthwhile to keep. It seems that Atlus and NIS games (although some are not the greatest) are valuable to have (just take a look at PS1/2 games and you'll understand).

Was thinking about getting the original Tetris DS, and perhaps the new Tetris Party version as well in the future. Puzzle quest series seems to also be something that would be worth more over time. Pokemon is a given, but I really never liked collecting those titles (just too many, and most are garbage besides the main original game)

Any other games that come to mind as being valuable in the future? (Limited quantities, etc).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You definitely should look for the original TETRIS DS
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Just make sure you look out for the massive amount of bootlegs for the Electroplankton and Monopoly/Boggle games. Even Gamestop has sold bootlegs of these games.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Since you are looking for value:

Tech stocks can still be a good way of making money. Its less risky and can get you more profit than any video game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment, especially if you're just grabbing these games on ebay or the like for the going prices.

But if you're having fun, well then, carry on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buying games cheaper now in order to play them later, at a time when they may be expensive: makes sense. Buyer games now in order for them to appreciate in value: doesn't make sense. They are the worst investment you could make. 99.99% of them depreciate.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The original Picross DS might become valuable, otherwise I can`t imagine why it sold for so much in a recent auction.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190388889447

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine Curling for the DS might become rare as it was only released in Canada for North America. In about 4 years, at the next Winter Olympics, it may even be worth something if no one makes a better curling game in the meantime with all those new fangled motion sensing devices.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

There is a bunch of stuff that is holding value (or moved up) over the last year or two. The problem is that after it rides the $40-50 wave, most of it tends to settle back down into obscurity because the games arn't all that, they just tend to be the only one of that kind available at the time.

Tetris DS (40-50)
    POGO Island (+/- 30) This one has dropped down from the 40-50 it pulled for a while
    Rain Drops (40)
    Backyard Football (+/-30)
    Backyard Hockey (+/-20) This one dropped most of its value
    Madden 09 (this one has dropped most of its value)
    Electroplankton (+/- 50)
    Monopoly/Boggle/Yahtzee/Battleship (+/- 40-50)

There are i'm sure a number of others, but i've not been paying attention to the high value DS games, because by the time I've chased down a few of them (Pogo Island for one) their value has dropped back down.

@ GameGuy
    Picross is riding the wave thanks to it being OOP and with the recent release of Picross 3D increasing demand. I'd not be surprised to see it get the Orange Bar re-release like Clubhouse Games and Hotel Dusk did.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A truly ridiculous way to try to make money. It's actually pretty sad. Why don't you funnel all your energy into some more positive and productive like getting a master's degree or something.

Anyways, it's your life to waste...so by all means go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'd grab Infinite Space ASAP. I already regret not doing that, I've had little luck in obtaining the game.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Theres a few club nintendo games (they suck to play) that had limited releases in Japan only. I think a Game & Watch Collection and 2 with the guy from Zelda. Ruppes...? Names elude me atm. Stuff like this will actually be collectable in the futre. The games your going for will real only be as expensive as they are now. It's just most of the other games will be worthless. If your going, you're gonna have to dig alot deeper than Pokeman and Chrono Trigger. The really rare games usually end up the crapiest ones no one even wanted to buy. (Sound fun?) Or even noticed. Or the End of the line when everyones moved on. Not the popular games. They just hold there value.
    In yo face!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by g00ber View Post
    With the news about the 3DS recently, i've taken a liking to collecting some of the more rare Nintendo DS games (in anticipation of their future value).

So far i've collected all the Final Fantasy's, Chronotrigger, Suikoden, both of the Shin Megami Tensei games, both of the Rune Factory games, Valkyrie Profile, all of the Dragon Quest games (4, 5, joker, and rocket slime, and ix in the future) and some other RPG's that I thought would be worthwhile to keep. It seems that Atlus and NIS games (although some are not the greatest) are valuable to have (just take a look at PS1/2 games and you'll understand).

Any other games that come to mind as being valuable in the future? (Limited quantities, etc).
    Your first problem is you think rare and valuable are the same when they're not. All the DS FF games, Atlus RPGs, etc will never be rare and never will be. Desired, somewhat. Rare, no. Nothing's going to change the fact you can walk into any KMart in the US and find a copy of Chrono Trigger DS. Mentioning Pokemon as a given shows you don't really understand the concept.

Honestly, if you're never going to play any of these games, don't bother. You're going to be disappointed and end up overpaying for a lot of games with neutral or negative value.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    @ GameGuy
    Picross is riding the wave thanks to it being OOP and with the recent release of Picross 3D increasing demand. I'd not be surprised to see it get the Orange Bar re-release like Clubhouse Games and Hotel Dusk did.
    That makes sense, I was just surprised to see it going for that much. I bought a new copy to play a couple of years ago and still haven't got around to open it, I'm wondering if I should sell my new copy and pick up a used one later on. If it's like Mario's Picross for the Gameboy I know I'll enjoy it.

I also have Hotel Dusk, I'm actually a bit annoyed it got the re-release as I thought I'd have a cool game that would be actually somewhat rare. I remember it was available pretty much everywhere around where I am but it practically sold out in a few months. It's still a cool game but it's dirt common now.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    the guy from Zelda. Ruppes...? Names elude me atm.
    The first game got a release in Europe as "Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Question: Why is the combo games from Atari (Monopoly/Battleship...) is rare? Even GameStop has it for somewhat high price.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Thinking a bit more, many Nintendo published titles tend to hold their values, as a good chunk go OOP and are never seen from again. Doesn't mean they are worth 2k monies, but they arn't 4 buck titles always either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That makes sense, I was just surprised to see it going for that much. I bought a new copy to play a couple of years ago and still haven't got around to open it, I'm wondering if I should sell my new copy and pick up a used one later on. If it's like Mario's Picross for the Gameboy I know I'll enjoy it.
    I havn't played Mario's Picross, but the controls are pretty much the same, save the addition of the stylus 'marking'. I really liked it's controls, but I know a few others who were older Picross fiends who didn't. I'd hold on to your copy until you stumble into another one thats open (if you care) because I've been on the hunt for that for a friend for a few months now with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Question: Why is the combo games from Atari (Monopoly/Battleship...) is rare? Even GameStop has it for somewhat high price.

It had a short run at the early on in the DS's lifespan, it had very good versions of Monopoly and Battleship and Atari's license to those games went away when Hasbro clamped down soon afterwords.

Battleship has been re-released, along with a few others in the Hasbro 'Friday Game Night' compliation, but that was the only way to get Monopoly on the DS. There is a new Monopoly DS game coming out, but that isn't getting release until next month ( I think). Once that release hits, if the version doesn't suck, the price of Monopoly/... might come down.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 06-21-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The first game got a release in Europe as "Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland"...
    Yes. I think the balloon fight remake is the one that's japan club nintendo only.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Import Jump Ultimate Stars.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post
    Buying games cheaper now in order to play them later, at a time when they may be expensive: makes sense. Buyer games now in order for them to appreciate in value: doesn't make sense. They are the worst investment you could make. 99.99% of them depreciate.
    This. Also it may sound obvious, but make sure you actually want the games you're buying and are not just getting them because of rarity. I bought Electroplankton a while back for quite a bit, but sold it recently when I realized I'd played it exactly once.