Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rare games to get for Nintendo DS?

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed Mario & Luigi is retailing for 39.99 used at GameStop, which is insane. I'm guessing it's oop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah man, as others have stated, I wouldn't get into DS games unless you have an interest in playing them and value is just an secondary factor. If you are looking to profit off DS games, the amount of time it would take them to appreciate will offset their gains in value.

I.e. if the game takes 10 years to go up $10, you probably didn't even beat inflation and that $10 gain you made was probably close to $0.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collector View Post
    I noticed Mario & Luigi is retailing for 39.99 used at GameStop, which is insane. I'm guessing it's oop?
    Mario & Luigi 2: Partners in Time cost as much used as it was new. An early DS release and alot of bootleg versions are out there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BacteriaInfection View Post
    A truly ridiculous way to try to make money. It's actually pretty sad. Why don't you funnel all your energy into some more positive and productive like getting a master's degree or something.

Anyways, it's your life to waste...so by all means go for it.
    How is it a waste? I'm having fun collecting rare games and enjoy playing them too!

Its not just about making money - that's just a benefit down the road when I want to sell my collection after i've had my fun playing the games. True, I might not get much more than my investment, but I figure if I can get what I paid for it (most I paid for each was $10-$15) and I was able to play them through, it was worth it.
    Last edited by g00ber; 06-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Question: Why is the combo games from Atari (Monopoly/Battleship...) is rare? Even GameStop has it for somewhat high price.
    I believe because it is out of print now, and they are not making them anymore. Also, it wasn't a great seller, so there are limited numbers of copies out there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Since you are looking for value:

Tech stocks can still be a good way of making money. Its less risky and can get you more profit than any video game.
    True true, but collecting stocks is not nearly as fun as collecting games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by g00ber View Post
    True true, but collecting stocks is not nearly as fun as collecting games.
    Yes it is but when you are buying for future value that's not collecting that's investing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Yes it is but when you are buying for future value that's not collecting that's investing.
    There's always a critic out there. Sorta like the people who go out of their way to correct a spelling mistake in every post.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's always a critic out there. Sorta like the people who go out of their way to correct a spelling mistake in every post.

I suppose it's fair to assume that you haven't caught the gist of what people have been advising you to do here. So, let me try to put it into terms you might understand. If you are buying games in the hopes of making money on them, you are wasting your money. Don't bother. It's a terrible investment with negative returns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

... i've taken a liking to collecting some of the more rare Nintendo DS games (in anticipation of their future value)....

Sorry I guess I misunderstood what you meant

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm having fun collecting rare games and enjoy playing them too!
    It's good that you're having fun playing them but none of the games you mentioned are in any way "rare". In demand and desired yes, but their value is never going to increase beyond current levels. If it at all.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is the guy just wants to collect some games and maybe they will increase a few bucks in the future and a couple of posters flat out say you can't make any money in video games which honestly is laughable, the thing is it's way harder now than it was 5-10 years ago...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    and a couple of posters flat out say you can't make any money in video games which honestly is laughable, the thing is it's way harder now than it was 5-10 years ago...
    Well, duh. Let's not forget that this is from DreamTR who, while nothing wrong with it, had/has a barrel of industry contacts to exploit.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 06-23-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    The thing is the guy just wants to collect some games and maybe they will increase a few bucks in the future and a couple of posters flat out say you can't make any money in video games which honestly is laughable, the thing is it's way harder now than it was 5-10 years ago...
    Well, I suppose to be fair, it's pretty impossible to make any money using the strategy this guy is talking about employing. Yes, there are people who make money selling video games, but this isn't the way they do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread confuses me.

With the news about the 3DS recently, i've taken a liking to collecting some of the more rare Nintendo DS games (in anticipation of their future value).

Is there any games that people would recommend I collect?

I heard about electroplankton and the monopoly / boggle / yahtzee / battleship games that i'm considering getting.

So far i've collected all the Final Fantasy's, Chronotrigger, Suikoden, both of the Shin Megami Tensei games, both of the Rune Factory games, Valkyrie Profile, all of the Dragon Quest games (4, 5, joker, and rocket slime, and ix in the future) and some other RPG's that I thought would be worthwhile to keep. It seems that Atlus and NIS games (although some are not the greatest) are valuable to have (just take a look at PS1/2 games and you'll understand).

Was thinking about getting the original Tetris DS, and perhaps the new Tetris Party version as well in the future. Puzzle quest series seems to also be something that would be worth more over time. Pokemon is a given, but I really never liked collecting those titles (just too many, and most are garbage besides the main original game)

Any other games that come to mind as being valuable in the future? (Limited quantities, etc).
    No where in the original post did you say a single thing about playing any of these games. Then when we chime in and tell you what a horrible idea this is, you change your story and say "Oh well I'm collecting them to play, value is just a plus and not the main reason."

lol? We weren't born yesterday man.

If value is your only concern, you'll do much better collecting for other systems as "investments". Some that I'd recommend as currently being "low" compared to what their price will one day be are: N64 and PS1.

However, if you only collect games for monetary value, you are probably setting yourself up for failure. Most of us collect systems that we like and know and value is just a plus.

Oh and if you are truly after value, you might want to get into sealed. That's where the big money is... but if you can't spot a real from a fake then don't buy anything until you are more knowledgable.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're playing them, your don't really stand to gain much, even if you leave the games and all inserts, etc. in immaculate condition. As stated in the last post, you should go sealed, and try to find games that only released in certain regions in limited quantities, and keep them sealed. Even then, you seem to be going after games using an SNES model. Chrono Trigger on the SNES always goes for a lot (way more sealed), so therefore CTDS will follow that, right? Not necessarily. It's all about quantity shipped and availibility. I see all the games you mentioned all over the place all the time, whereas I rarely see Electroplankton.
    Still, a lot of what has raised in price these days has gained popularity through other game releases etc. Original Harvest Moon, Chrono Trigger (new IP for Square at the time and sort of a gamble), Shantae on GBC has a new title coming out, etc.
    You also have to be careful with re-releases and DLC making the actual games decrease. I can cite Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on that one.

I think what people are saying here is sound. Enjoy the games, or become a collector of sealed ones, but don't expect a profit now or later down the road when doing either.
    The future is to those who take it!

Like Video Game Merchandise? Buy some here! Rare stuff in many categories! (Click the pic)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So far i've collected all the Final Fantasy's, Chronotrigger, Suikoden, both of the Shin Megami Tensei games, both of the Rune Factory games, Valkyrie Profile, all of the Dragon Quest games (4, 5, joker, and rocket slime, and ix in the future)
    Suikoden and Dragon Quest 5 are the only two games you listed that are going for anything, however, these games are only going for what you probably originally bought them for anyways, and I doubt there will be an increase or if there happens to be there's really not going to be much of one.

Collecting to make money you have to already either have a lot of money, a lot of free time, a lot of luck, or all three, but you also have to know what you're doing. You're better off getting a real job and do collecting on the side, like many of us.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BacteriaInfection View Post
    A truly ridiculous way to try to make money. It's actually pretty sad. Why don't you funnel all your energy into some more positive and productive like getting a master's degree or something.

Anyways, it's your life to waste...so by all means go for it.
    Getting a master's degree doesn't necessarily guarantee success in this country anymore with the economy out of whack. That's a big misconception a lot of people seem to have. By the way, I have one and it's not doing me much good at the moment. Not to mention that I have to pay student loans every month which has put a serious dent in my game-buying habit.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    yep, there is