Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rare games to get for Nintendo DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Didn't KORG DS-10 Plus release recently? It is the same as original with added new DSi features.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Didn't KORG DS-10 Plus release recently? It is the same as original with added new DSi features.
    Yep. It's even available at Best Buy and Amazon for just $20.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow - a lot of negativity here.

It was a simple question asking on if there are any rare DS games. Also, I did find a couple of rarer titles for Nintendo DS that I will be in the process of getting, without the help of this thread.

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/10002.do

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/13501.do

Without a doubt, both the Game & Watch titles are worthwhile to have.

To those who don't have something useful to respond with - stop cluttering the thread with pointless replies. I don't care what you think my motives are for collecting games are, and care less what your motives are for responding.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saferkefka View Post
    Wow that used copy you linked to sold for less than the brand new one I linked to. It's almost like the value depends on the condition of the game.

I still don't get why sealed copies would be worth so much, I haven't found many DS games that sell for more than the original retail price. Most DS games sell for less than retail even when they're out of print and still sealed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g00ber View Post

It was a simple question asking on if there are any rare DS games. Also, I did find a couple of rarer titles for Nintendo DS that I will be in the process of getting, without the help of this thread.

To those who don't have something useful to respond with - stop cluttering the thread with pointless replies. I don't care what you think my motives are for collecting games are, and care less what your motives are for responding.
    I'm sorry, but this is a discussion forum and that's what members of this community do, we discuss things. You don't get to dictate how people respond unless and until someone responding violates one of the rules for the board. You came here asking for help and many long-time and well respected members of this community assisted you by advising you that collecting the DS in hopes of making money down the road was a poor decision. Just because you disagree doesn't give you the right to dismiss all of those replies and demand that people stop posting. If you don't like it, go somewhere else where profiteering and foolishness are supported.

Game & Watch 1&2 are both widely available, making them particularly poor potential investments. The only people who have made money on those games and ever will are the ones who somehow collected lots of codes free and are turning around and selling their free games on Ebay for $20 or $25.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by g00ber View Post

The problem is that the G&W games arn't rare. They are uncommon at best and are easily netted turning in your Club Nintendo codes. If you don't want to do that, they can be snagged from eBay for the +/- 20 range. Were they rare, they'd sell for more than that. The online market is quite capable of price bumping stuff like Pogo Island and Backyard Football quickly and when demand and rarity par down you get the kind of prices that the G&W collections are going for now. I've seen more copies of Game & Watch Collection in the used GS sections than I have Monopoly/Battleship... .

Drop the 'rare' from you DS vocab and focus on 'demand' games. Those will net you the RPG's and other things that are pulling the money. The truly rare shit isn't being bought because its horrible crap filler titles and they just arn't worth anything. People are buying the good games, big name publisher games and games in the desired genres (RPG's ect).

I do a few simple things when it comes to DS games, and I've got more than my fair share of DS games (400+ US titles and counting). RPG's, no matter the company, are buys (and close to day 1 buys often, especially the smaller publishers because when they fall off the shelves, they tend to be gone) and buy all Nintendo published titles. There is enough first party games that are still selling for near retail or more that they arn't stupid buys.

That said however, i've also paid out way more than I'll ever make back on my DS games, having bought like I have. Close to what i've spent on my PS collection, which is twice the size before variants and other stuff i've gotten and I don't expect to make that much back on either collection if I do get to a selling point.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Most of the useless replies you've been getting have been people trying to tell you that you're confusing rare with desired/valued. How about you try and digest that concept?

Listen to Stu. As another with a fair share of DS games (300+), I can tell you he speaks the truth.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 06-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would think that the Game and Watch games have to be at least an R7 since they were only available online and you couldn't even buy them. I don't think that means that they would be worth all that much though, at least not now. They're pretty simple games with little replay value so they're being sold constantly now, just wait a decade and they might be much more difficult to find.

I'm looking through ebay right now and most of the games listed are the Japanese version, there are several listings of the US version for the first collection(4 listings) but only a few listings for the second collection(2 listings). Just for comparison, Bebe's Kids is listed as an R7 and there's currently 9 copies listed on ebay, most are priced around $10.

I personally want the games but I don't want to spend much on them and I don't think I'd ever be able to save enough points to get them, at least not enough points for both games. You need 800 points for each title, that's either 16 first party Wii games or 27 first party DS games for each collection. While I might have over 27 DS games, they're not all first party games. I just don't see how many people would get both collections by redeeming points, could there really be more than 2000-3000 copies of either collection?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I would think that the Game and Watch games have to be at least an R7 since they were only available online and you couldn't even buy them. I don't think that means that they would be worth all that much though, at least not now. They're pretty simple games with little replay value so they're being sold constantly now, just wait a decade and they might be much more difficult to find.

I'm looking through ebay right now and most of the games listed are the Japanese version, there are several listings of the US version for the first collection(4 listings) but only a few listings for the second collection(2 listings). Just for comparison, Bebe's Kids is listed as an R7 and there's currently 9 copies listed on ebay, most are priced around $10.

I personally want the games but I don't want to spend much on them and I don't think I'd ever be able to save enough points to get them, at least not enough points for both games. You need 800 points for each title, that's either 16 first party Wii games or 27 first party DS games for each collection. While I might have over 27 DS games, they're not all first party games. I just don't see how many people would get both collections by redeeming points, could there really be more than 2000-3000 copies of either collection?
    There are other ways to earn points though including surveys, special promos, etc...Many of the Ebay sellers seem to be used game resellers who have simply registered a bunch of games and used the points to obtain multiple copies of each. In the two years or so since G&W came out in the US, I have never seen less than half a dozen available at any given time on Ebay. I suspect tens of thousands of copies of both were pressed and given that the first one is still available from Nintendo for points two years later makes it very unlikely there is any value there even if there is some numerical rarity compared to other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The World Ends with You seems to be a title that will become hard to find down the road.
    The future is to those who take it!

Like Video Game Merchandise? Buy some here! Rare stuff in many categories! (Click the pic)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightram View Post
    The World Ends with You seems to be a title that will become hard to find down the road.
    It's been $20 new for well over a year. For a Square Enix game it sold fairly poorly, but the length of time it's been for $20 really means that no one wants it. Valkyrie Profile 2 is the only Square Enix title in recent times that has went out of print and you can still find it for $20-40 new at Ebay.

Dragon Quest 5 was published by Nintendo and it's keeping its value because they didn't print many copies due to how poorly Dragon Quest 4 did.

I also feel the need to make a rant about Nintendo. Square Enix remade the Dragon Quest series on the DS and the next two main titles on the DS and Wii so Nintendo would get them recognized, but instead, Nintendo prints limited copies, and then pretty much shafts Square Enix at E3 with their less than two minute talk about Dragon Quest 9, along with no video clips, only to rush onto Metroid the Other M. But hey. Who cares if the US buys the Dragon Quest games, Nintendo still gets money per sale from the Japanese who purchase the series. Along with all their other tactics, people wonder why I dislike Nintendo as a company.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't SMT Devil Survivor holding its value nicely?

I'm also wondering about Contra 4.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Wasn't SMT Devil Survivor holding its value nicely?

I'm also wondering about Contra 4.
    Both are in stock as new sold by Amazon still($21 and $28.) SMT Strange Journey isn't in stock right now and they're possibly just sold out from Amazon. You can still find Strange Journey at Gamestop.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkrpger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    reyvateilaholic

I know this is a pretty old topic, but I just recently (in the last week) bought my first DS system.
    I'm a big RPG/SRPG player, and to start my collection off, I've bought:
    SMT Strange Journey, SMT Devil Survivor, TWEWY, 9 Hours, 9 Doors, 9 People, Theresia, Dragon Quest(s) 4, 5, 6, and 9, and I pre-ordered Devil Survivor 2.
    My point is, that after researching, comparing, and buying a bunch of DS games...I only found one that was selling for considerably more than its release price...and that was Radiant Historia (and I'm talking new/sealed prices, here).

@ TC

I'm *far* from an expert or authority on making money off of video games, but, I've found that strategy guides are the better investment since they're usually cheaper than the games when they release - and - I was *amazed* at how many guides on Amazon (in new condition) were selling for considerably more than the games themselves.

A quick and recent example of this would be the hardcover Skyrim guides that I bought...I've already doubled my money on a few of them, and the rest...I'll just hold onto for awhile.

Also of note is that Doublejump is no more. Most of their guides were for Nisa (niche) games and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few more years they were selling pretty high prices.
    Now playing: Disgaea 4 (PS3), 9,9,9 (DS), Persona (PSP)

A lot of truth is said in jest

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

I'd the Atelier Annie box set with the figurines is something to desire, it had a print run of only 550. I'd also keep an eye out for the DS games that originally came with pack in soundtracks including

SMT Strange Journey
    Knights in the Knightmare
    YS I and II
    The Dark Spire
    Luminous Arc 2
    Radiant Historia

Also keep an eye on the Etrian Odyssey series, i bet you could fetch a pretty penny with all 3 games

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Wow somebody actually paid $35 for a brand new sealed Zelda Ocraina of Time 3D soundtrack when it was a free giveaway. I wonder if that will ever go up in price if I never open it? Did any regular DS games ever have a limited edition soundtrack or bonus item included in their packaging?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Wow somebody actually paid $35 for a brand new sealed Zelda Ocraina of Time 3D soundtrack when it was a free giveaway. I wonder if that will ever go up in price if I never open it? Did any regular DS games ever have a limited edition soundtrack or bonus item included in their packaging?
    There was a list of some in the post before yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    There was a list of some in the post before yours.
    those are all the ones i could think of off the top of my head. if there are others PLEASE list them so we can try to get a comprehensive list

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Huh weird, the post wasn't visible to me before I posted.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Huh weird, the post wasn't visible to me before I posted.
    there are also some games released by Ignition that have a cardboard outer sleeve. My copy of metal slug 7 has one and included in the case is an extremely small mini poster.