Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rare games to get for Nintendo DS?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyrdsalesman View Post
    I'd the Atelier Annie box set with the figurines is something to desire, it had a print run of only 550. I'd also keep an eye out for the DS games that originally came with pack in soundtracks including

SMT Strange Journey
    Knights in the Knightmare
    YS I and II
    The Dark Spire
    Luminous Arc 2
    Radiant Historia

Also keep an eye on the Etrian Odyssey series, i bet you could fetch a pretty penny with all 3 games
    I've been trying to find a copy of Radiant Historia since it was released. I couldn't afford it when it launched, and after only one month of waiting I was unable to find a copy anywhere in my area. Now I see the game selling for over $60 used, and even eBay only has a few auctions up. This is the last DS game I want, and the only one I'll likely never own.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

One of the best games on DS.

What happens when you take a visual novel and mix it with an RPG

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'd the Atelier Annie box set with the figurines is something to desire, it had a print run of only 550. I'd also keep an eye out for the DS games that originally came with pack in soundtracks including

SMT Strange Journey
    Knights in the Knightmare
    YS I and II
    The Dark Spire
    Luminous Arc 2
    Radiant Historia

Also keep an eye on the Etrian Odyssey series, i bet you could fetch a pretty penny with all 3 games
    Atelier Annie is part of a real grey area in desirability called the NIS Store LE problem. They pump out a metric ton of LEs for just about every game they release, a lot of them nothing more than a bonus box they ship with the game. While that's all well and good, every collector knows about them and if they want them, they get them. 550 is a low print run for sure, but if everyone who wants it, gets it (and moreso gets it JUST because they think it's going to be pricey/hard to find later)... there will be no demand and no value and no desirability.

The other games you mentioned could surely be desired titles, but I don't think they'll ever fetch more than what they originally sold for, at least for a good while.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    The other games you mentioned could surely be desired titles, but I don't think they'll ever fetch more than what they originally sold for, at least for a good while.
    And that's the problem with DS collecting right now, there are alot of unknowns Anyway speaking of NIS i have my suspicions about A Witch's Tale becoming hard to come by

Also we'll have to wait till release for Devil Survivor 2 but it may become hard to find because it's going to be released so late in the DS's life

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually think few if any of the NIS/Atlus games will retain their value long term. They printed tons of them and many collectors have sealed copies even when they don't ordinarily collect sealed. Frankly, like other consoles, the rare and valuable games are going to be odd things that had very small print runs (I think 5K was the bare minimum you could do on the DS) that got truly limited distribution and which people aren't currently holding onto and may not even be aware of right now. Resale price wise currently, the most expensive DS games seem to be the early first party titles that didn't get Nintendo/Toys R Us reprints like Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, Yoshi Touch, the two Kirby games (Squeak Squad and Canvas Curse), at least sealed. There are tons of boots of these titles out there, so when a legit one comes up, it tends to draw interest.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And that's the problem with DS collecting right now, there are alot of unknowns Anyway speaking of NIS i have my suspicions about A Witch's Tale becoming hard to come by

Also we'll have to wait till release for Devil Survivor 2 but it may become hard to find because it's going to be released so late in the DS's life
    I would think Witch's Wish would be harder to come across down the road than A Witch's Tale but I could be wrong. I've an idea on some titles that are quirky/off the beaten path that might become more scarce in the future like Honeycomb Beat, Trioncube, Rhythm N' Notes, and maybe Easy Piano (complete anyway). As Port said though, it's still too early to really tell. I do see a lot of titles fetching what they originally sold for so if you can find them on the cheap now, hold onto them and you might be able to get $20-30 for them. Modest for sure, but at the very worst you can break even more often than not.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I actually think few if any of the NIS/Atlus games will retain their value long term. They printed tons of them and many collectors have sealed copies even when they don't ordinarily collect sealed. Frankly, like other consoles, the rare and valuable games are going to be odd things that had very small print runs (I think 5K was the bare minimum you could do on the DS) that got truly limited distribution and which people aren't currently holding onto and may not even be aware of right now. Resale price wise currently, the most expensive DS games seem to be the early first party titles that didn't get Nintendo/Toys R Us reprints like Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, Yoshi Touch, the two Kirby games (Squeak Squad and Canvas Curse), at least sealed. There are tons of boots of these titles out there, so when a legit one comes up, it tends to draw interest.
    One of the ones that still seems ridiculously expensive is Super Princess Peach. It's still $40 at Gamestop.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going down the road of importing is a bit more fun as Japan had so many limited editions & other quirky games to go for, it is indeed very true what others have said though, rare doesn't always mean valuable.

Perfect example is Tingles balloon fight, it was a Japan club nintendo exclusive. You couldn't buy it with club points it was given out to every member who made platinum rank. Only one print run & given out in reasonably low numbers & yet you can easily find it really cheap even now.

Best ones i have found so far are the limited editions from Capcom's Japanese e-shop. Okamiden, phoenix wright & miles edgeworth limited editions hold their value pretty well. Theres nowhere you'll find any of them for less than $100 nowdays.

Hoshizora navi is really hard to get, not much of a game but it's pretty unique as it has a sensor built into the cart so it can tell you where to look for each constallation. If you love star gazing it's an awesome thing to have. Still trying to track it down as it rarely appears on yahoo auctions & i have never ever seen it on ebay.
    http://www.seihosha.co.jp/image/used...3_contents.jpg
    Last edited by importaku; 12-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jehusephat View Post
    I've been trying to find a copy of Radiant Historia since it was released. I couldn't afford it when it launched, and after only one month of waiting I was unable to find a copy anywhere in my area. Now I see the game selling for over $60 used, and even eBay only has a few auctions up. This is the last DS game I want, and the only one I'll likely never own.
    Is it really that hard to find? I'm sure it's still available new around me for $34.99 plus tax, at least some stores still have it in stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Is it really that hard to find? I'm sure it's still available new around me for $34.99 plus tax, at least some stores still have it in stock.
    closest one at a gamestop (for me) is in mexico, i really think that that's just because of the demand for it because of good reviews though.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    One of the ones that still seems ridiculously expensive is Super Princess Peach. It's still $40 at Gamestop.
    It got a TRU re-release though. In fact, all three of my local Toys R Us locations still have copies in stock. Must just be a situation like Fritz Chess where some people either don't have a Toys R Us locally or just never go there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

closest one at a gamestop (for me) is in mexico, i really think that that's just because of the demand for it because of good reviews though.
    I checked the EB Games website for stores near me. Of course I can't tell if the stores have multiple copies or if they've been gutted(or missing the soundtrack) but it's still something.

For Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure there's 8 stores within 100km that have a copy, for Radiant Historia there's 33 stores. Just a comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

It got a TRU re-release though. In fact, all three of my local Toys R Us locations still have copies in stock. Must just be a situation like Fritz Chess where some people either don't have a Toys R Us locally or just never go there.
    \

Was waiting for someone to mention Fritz Chess in this topic. I'm not sure if it's more rare on the Wii (as the Wii is relatively devoid of a true "rare" market) or DS, but it retailed for 19.99 MSRP and you'll pay 2.5-3x that used, 5x or more new no matter where you look for either console. There are enough copies online for people to buy right now, but none are dirt cheap.

I never saw it at my local Toys r Us either - so the endless speculation on that one is it may have been some parts both regional and TRU exclusive. It definitely got distributed in Canada in some parts (it had a bilingual French/English box as well).
    Last edited by DOAsaturn; 12-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Sorry for the bump, but i found a copy of Scrabble DS at my local game store complete for $35. Do you guys think this is a good deal? some of the online prices for it are ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just yesterday I just happened to take a look at the games for sale where I rent movies and there was Tetris DS complete and in very nice shape for $10. I thought that was rather lucky.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the bump, but i found a copy of Scrabble DS at my local game store complete for $35. Do you guys think this is a good deal? some of the online prices for it are ridiculous.
    *spits*....Wha....What?! Scrabble now?! Was it dipped in gold, encrusted with blood diamonds, and every copy personally kissed by the Queen of England herself? I'm sorry for sounding kinda dickish, no offense meant you, but....Scrabble? I'm calling on Ebay sellers.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 01-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Yeah it just seems like an odd title to be expensive, that's why I was wondering whether or not it was worth it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

For some reason Scrabble is a $30-$40 game, no idea why as other versions of Scrabble are still cheap.

http://item.ebay.com/260926054028
    http://item.ebay.com/150721088839
    http://item.ebay.com/220918586231
    http://item.ebay.com/290649910030

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

There are only 3 explanations for it...
    1)It is actually rare (hard to believe)
    2)It is an extremely sought after title with a high demand (not likely)
    3)The internet is crazy (well.... yeah)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are only 3 explanations for it...
    1)It is actually rare (hard to believe)
    2)It is an extremely sought after title with a high demand (not likely)
    3)The internet is crazy (well.... yeah)
    4) The ol' Snake Oil scam. Say a game is "rare", have a few shills from the interweb audience "vouch" it's "authenticity" by jacking up the prices in a few auctions here or there, and have every overzealous/paranoid collector buying up copies fear of paying "too much". Oh the irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/