Thread: Unfixables?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unfixables?

I took three non-consoles to the local repair shop and they were all diagnosed unfixable. The Super Nintendo only flickered in black and gray lines, the N64 doesn't send any signal except when immediately turning it on it send a gray line and the Dreamcast goes black after the initial screen, which he told me it was the processor. Are they really gone? I promptly replaces the SNES with a SNES mini, the N64 with a jungle green version, and the DC with the black Sega Sports version.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They sound pretty dead to me, I'm sure you cleaned the systems and check that it wasn't a problem with the power adapters and video cables first right? You could probably try selling the broken systems on here maybe, somebody might be able to use them for parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like this story.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like all of your non-consoles are dead, I'm glad you were able to replace them with real working consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There are very few problems with electronics devices that are truely unfixable. More than likely they were "not worth the troubleables".
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

^^^ This

If you have access to all of the parts you need (including proprietary), the right equipment, and the necessary docs it probably wouldn't be that hard to diagnose. But without those things, you are looking for a needle in a haystack. At work we have all of those things for the boards we work on, and still the I-don't-know's become a game of replace this, then this, then this until it works.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    It sounds like all of your non-consoles are dead, I'm glad you were able to replace them with real working consoles.

Why did i write that???

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I like this story.
    I aim to please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Smile

ok the dreamcast the processor can be reballed or you can replace the motherboard as the n64 motheboard is replaceable theres one site that sell them and the snes is the cart solt i can fix all faults some shop are just lazy
    cant be asked to fix systems i like repairing system keeps me busy

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    I took three non-consoles to the local repair shop and they were all diagnosed unfixable. The Super Nintendo only flickered in black and gray lines, the N64 doesn't send any signal except when immediately turning it on it send a gray line and the Dreamcast goes black after the initial screen, which he told me it was the processor. Are they really gone? I promptly replaces the SNES with a SNES mini, the N64 with a jungle green version, and the DC with the black Sega Sports version.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    ok the dreamcast the processor can be reballed or you can replace the motherboard as the n64 motheboard is replaceable theres one site that sell them and the snes is the cart solt i can fix all faults some shop are just lazy
    cant be asked to fix systems i like repairing system keeps me busy
    Really? I thought the problem with the N64 was either the cartridge slot or cracked solder joints on the AV Slot? Could you please reply back to me about what you think? Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Cool re n64

Got pictures of the motherboard and the cart solt. I could tell you and help you. Out more with pictures or a youtube video take care. I repaired a usa n64 the blank screen was a motherboard last time i done one was a march this year
    but i sold it on i will able to help you out.
    take care buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperGrandson View Post
    Really? I thought the problem with the N64 was either the cartridge slot or cracked solder joints on the AV Slot? Could you please reply back to me about what you think? Thank you and have a nice day.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with the N64 was the game. I would love to get the SNES working, im going to take it apart and clean to see if that helps. The Dreamcast I already sutituted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Heres replacement parts for sale
    http://www.nesrepairshop.com/online_shopping/
    its usa based.
    sells nes parts snes n64 game gube parts

The problem with the N64 was the game. I would love to get the SNES working, im going to take it apart and clean to see if that helps. The Dreamcast I already sutituted.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, don't throw out the game. Try opening it up, rubbing a pencil eraser on the contacts on both sides of the circuit board. Then rub them down with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Repeat this process and then the game should most-likely work. If not, then one of the components is bad inside. Test those with a multi-meter. This game is worth reviving because then it could be sold for cash!