Thread: CD-i game "Demonstration Discs"?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CD-i game "Demonstration Discs"?

I found a couple of CD-i games (Burn:Cycle and Clue), but rather than the regular disc, it's a plain white and says:

Demonstration Disc
    Not For Resale

With the game's title printed below. These games also both have a short, black and white insert explaining the suggested demonstration to use. Any idea on the history/value of these?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    I found a couple of CD-i games (Burn:Cycle and Clue), but rather than the regular disc, it's a plain white and says:

Demonstration Disc
    Not For Resale

With the game's title printed below. These games also both have a short, black and white insert explaining the suggested demonstration to use. Any idea on the history/value of these?
    Fairly common, unfortunately. Philips really spent a lot of money and time doing outreach to non-traditional retail outlets with the CD-i and a big part of that was sending out representatives with large binders full of all the available software to demo to the retailers and the public. They would also let retailers have certain demo discs for in-store use. Unlike traditional demo discs, these are actually the full games. Philips seems to have made no effort to get them back after they pulled the plug on CD-i. As such, tons of these discs are out there and come up on Ebay and elsewhere very regularly. The only ones that seem to have much value are the Zelda/Hotel Mario ones and all the rest sell for several dollars each. Almost all of them I have ever seen are badly scratched because they were handled roughly at retail. The inserts are a little harder to find, so depending on the condition of the discs, you might get a few extra dollars for those.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's not worth trying to sell them, but they'll look nice on my shelf.

Is there any demand out there for CD-i software, by the way? I have a handful of other titles around here somewhere. (not that I expect to make any money on them...)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it's not worth trying to sell them, but they'll look nice on my shelf.

Is there any demand out there for CD-i software, by the way? I have a handful of other titles around here somewhere. (not that I expect to make any money on them...)
    It's also kind of low unless you have the Zeldas/Hotel Mario or some of the late release titles that were only available in the US by mail order. Tons of CD-i stuff was being liquidated up until a couple of years ago and is still available for $5-$7 even for new/sealed copies on most titles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, looks like I may as well store them away for a few more years. Thanks for your help.