Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there a PS2/Xbox (original) component cable?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default Was there a PS2/Xbox (original) component cable?

Did any company produce a Universal Component Video/Audio cable that fit the PS2 and original XBOX? I've seen many that are Wii, PS2/PS3 and Xbox 360. I was using a universal Mad Catz I think S-Video cable for both, but two things. Second question is, if such a cable exists, can both consoles be plugged in at once? The S-Video was a pain, because if they were both plugged in, the video would not come through properly. I had to disconnect the one I'm not using. A p.i.t.a. I want to get a new TV, but one has two Component inputs and one has only one. Thanks!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Like this? http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/c...60-p-2446.html

Not sure about the both-plugged-in-at-once thing though.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, someone did. I had one a while back and sold it, so I can't remember who made it, but they do exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

MadCatz before they updated their cables a few years back to eliminate the SuperNes/N64/GCN connector and the Xbox connector in favor of the more modern consoles (Denoted by a "NextGen" on the packaging), had universal s-video and component cables with Nintendo/Xbox/PS2 compatibility.

Of course you could only use the optional composite connection on their component cable for Nintendo consoles and the PSOne.

These were widely carried at GameStops until the past year or so for around $10-$15. None of these universal cables are designed for hooking up multiple consoles together and they explicitly warn against such use (And there have been individuals here that have reported damage in the past from trying to do so).

They're designed to make it convenient to have one set of cables hooked up to your television to hook your current generation consoles (At the time) up to the television without having to get behind the television to swap out the cable when you changed consoles.

I updated my SuperNes/N64/GCN (Need to get the official component cables eventually for that one) and PSOne each with their universal s-video cables and my Xbox/PS2 with their component cables and have been pleased with the results for a relatively low total cost.

Here's a thread I made when I was wondering just what you were. Ended up buying individual universal cables for each systems and system selectors to avoid the potential for damaging consoles by using these cables in a manner they weren't designed for (Hooking up multiple systems at the same time). Ignore the GameStop link though, the product page has been updated with the more recent cable that replaced the Nintendo and Xbox connections with connections for the PS3/360/Wii (It did retain the PSOne/PS2 style connection)

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83158
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'd have no problem disconnecting one of the systems while the other is being used, but I just can't find those cables anywhere. The biggest problem is that when you search for "XBOX" everything that comes up is 360. I think this is the Mad Catz we're talking about, but seems not to be sold anywhere anymore.

Last edited by Greg2600; 06-22-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Like this? http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/c...60-p-2446.html

Not sure about the both-plugged-in-at-once thing though.
    Wait I think you're referring to this XCM Multi-Consoles Component Cable V3 - connects to PS2, Xbox, PS3, XB360, Wi. Also seems like it has a switch that allows you to keep them plugged in all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have you checked your local GameStop? They might have some of the cables still available new or some used versions.

But they're certainly out there. Like I said, MadCatz's universal component cable that supported all three consoles is how my Xbox and Playstation 2 are currently hooked up.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-23-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I'd have no problem disconnecting one of the systems while the other is being used, but I just can't find those cables anywhere. The biggest problem is that when you search for "XBOX" everything that comes up is 360. I think this is the Mad Catz we're talking about, but seems not to be sold anywhere anymore.

Ah, I have one of those laying around somewhere.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked one like that up from Gamestop once and was disappointed with it since it didn't support any of the HD resolutions for my XBOX. If you're just looking for a clean composite signal then they will probably work.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, I got the one with two component inputs, so I'll just get a separate cable for the PS2 and old XBOX, both of which are cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently purchased one of the Gamestop component cables marked "Legacy" for the original XBOX plug. They have a connector on there for PS2, XBOX & 360 (nice continuity there guys). Only works for PS2 & 360. It sucks. The S-Video ones are fine, but stay away from the Component one.

The only cable that I got to work is the official Microsoft HD Video Pack, which you can get new on eBay for approx $25. Now I run Avalaunch on a softmodded box, so that could be the issue, but the Microsoft cable worked perfectly with zero fuss. Only way to fly.

As for connecting them simultaneously on a multi-cable, I have never had good results from it. Usually the other systems connected, even if they are off, will interfere with the sound or video of the others. You really need to get multiple cables and a switch box to do it right. Trust me, I have 15 systems hooked up to a single TV through multiple switch boxes. It works beautifully.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I picked up an official original Xbox component cable for $8 at gamestop, way back when I got my first HDTV (circa January 2007).
    They exist. Good luck in your search!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

There are dozens of different Xbox-only component cables on ebay and amazon, I'm just going to get one of thoese. The Microsoft HD Video Pack doesn't even include component cables, it's a waste of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    There are dozens of different Xbox-only component cables on ebay and amazon, I'm just going to get one of thoese. The Microsoft HD Video Pack doesn't even include component cables, it's a waste of money.
    They aren't pictured here for instance: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBox.../dp/B00005R6YZ, but that dongle absolutely comes with the component cable needed to connect it to a TV. It just isn't pictured in the stock photos.

The Microsoft pack has everything you need and guaranteed compatibility. It also has the optical audio out (that cable isn't included). It's clunky, but you are definitely getting something that WORKS.

Or you can roll the dice with 3rd party cables (like I did and lost). I'm telling you from experience, the XBOX is finicky.
    Last edited by klausien; 06-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, I wound up getting the official Component connectors for the XBOX, and the same for PS3 to use on PS2. So I tried the XBOX out with a 480P game (Forza), no problems. But when I went to use the DVD player, immediately the video output has all these purple vertical bars on the screen! Here's an example below. What the heck is this now? Why would it only do this on DVD's not games? I tried two sets of component cables, same result.

Last edited by Greg2600; 07-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Through rudimentary diagnosis, I've discovered the problem is the Sony Bravia TV. Friggin Sony, I should have known better. Xbox DVD worked fine on my parents' Panasonic Plasma TV. On Sony, purple bars. I also found that a couple of games made the lines appear if I kept the 1080i on in the Xbox dashboard. I think I should finally be getting the PS2 component cables, and I can see if that makes a difference. My FIOS STB had no such problems when I initially hooked it up with Component cables.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I have the universal cable shown in post #5. are you still looking for it?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I have the universal cable shown in post #5. are you still looking for it?
    Ha ha ha, nope. I wound up moving that generation of systems to my CRT setup running 480i anyhow, so it's no longer an issue. Nor am I using any of them for DVD playback. Each now has it's own OEM component cable feeding into an 8-way Pelican Pro Selector. I will say that the same Bravia went on to be nothing but a pain in the arse.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

my PS2 puts out 480i over YPbPr. 480p doesnt work too well with some games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

I think games had to be prepped for 480p on the system - like Resident Evil 4 was. Although it was crazy that you had to hold own the X & O buttons (or whatever buttons they were) on boot-up to call the system into progressive scan. I've been really curious as to some of the upscaling HDMI cables available nowadays. I used to use the Sony Exploder, lol! I'm sure the tech is better now.