Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The CD-ROM Revolution

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The CD-ROM Revolution

CD-ROM was, to the entertainment industry, the equivalent of an ant getting hit by a violent supernova. It changed everything, and is now a sadly underrated, yet overused medium. CDs were, at first, simply digital music. Remember how they were packaged like they were events unto themselves (I suppose some of them were)? CDs came in those long, artsy boxes that had the album artwork expanded. They were even longer and more wasteful than today's DVD boxes. As a matter of fact, musician David Byrne once made it so that his album artwork was labeled "This is Garbage” on the longbox in protest of what he thought was wasteful packaging. It was, but I'll admit that for the sake of memories, I've had my eye on a copy of U2's "The Unforgettable Fire" on ebay, still in it's original longbox, for some time.

CD's were an amazing new digital medium. They had at least twice the fidelity of LPs (likely much more, although audiophiles still knock them as not producing that nostalgic pop and crackle sound, something I uderstand nad sympathize with) and no rewinding or strategic setting of the needle. Cassettes didn't dissappear overnight, but they got dirt cheap and were rendered obsolete almost overnight (or at least until CDs became cheaper). I remember my older brother buying his new stereo system somewhere around 1990 or 1991. We listened to Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" all night, and he learned to put The Steve Miller Band's "The Joker" on repeat ad nauseum. This was new power, and the discs looked so . . . . . silvery, so shiny . . . so advanced. This was emphasized in ads for CD players, stereos, and especially in Sega CD ads in which seemingly label-less discs were shown peeking their heads out of the CD unit, and this shiny-ness was a selling point unto itself. Meanwhile, my brother Dan’s stereo system, still probably a decent system if it still worked, was the size of a dryer in the amount of space it and its massive speakers took up. Amazing.

On came CD-Roms. PC Games like The 7th Guest, Myst, the Doom series, and the Journeyman Project looked to the future. Videogame systems began to come out taking advantage of the medium as games were, for the first time, put on CD. Theses systems inlcuded the FM Towns and FM Towns Marty, the Turbo CD (PC-Engine CD in Japan), the Sega CD, the 3DO systems, and the CD-i systems, among other early entries. Let's not, of course, forget the mighty PC- CD-Rom drives that cost and arm and a leg and were, among my friends and I, spoken of in hushed circles. Even non-CD games began, like the TurboGrafx-16 games, to be packaged in ways that resembled CDs.

Early CD-ROM games weren't as impressive as people might have expected, but many still packed a punch, compared to the older games. The initial benifits, since most systems were still only 8- or 16-bit, came not in advanced 3D graphics so much as in longer length of games, more colors onscreen, full-motion video and animation, and sometimes ever so slightly crisper graphics, the result of a digital medium and one that could hold many times the amount of data of a cartridge, cassette, chip, or floppy disk could.

Full-motion video, in itself, became a revolution, although one whose underlying potential was put to rest mostly by lack of technology and lack of vision in many cases. The quality of many of these titles was horrible, but it would be hyperbole to deny that, for a brief, shining moment in the early nineties, the idea of “interactive cinema” was considered the wave of the future. Perhaps it would have been more so if the quality control had been better. Even so, the idea of controlling a movie only by pushing specific buttons at JUST the right time (reminicent of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace in the arcades on laserdisc, also enjoying a resurrection on the home market thanks to the storage power of CD) turned off many frustratted gamers not long after the initial novelty of the FMV visuals and REAL digitized speech wore off.

I remember reading about the gasps and the massive impressions felt and heard during a demonstration Sega gave for its new CD game "Sewer Shark" on Sega CD just before their mighty system hit the market. There really was excitement about all this. I also remember hanging out at a local game store early on, hearing the guys working there talking about this RPG that “talked” (it had real voices). I can’t remember which one it was, but, it was either Lunar on Sega CD or Ys Books I and II on the Turbo CD (Ys was the first ot have voices).

On the PC-CD-rom market, there was the groundbreaking 7th Guest, a still-decent game (although very dated) that combined advanced, crisp 3D visuals (albeit pre-rendered) with full-motion video of real actors and speech. This was revolutionary. The idea of real people coming from a videogame machine in full-motion (or at least at 24 frames/second) was unheard of. Sure, the Amiga computers of the late 80s and early 90s had animation equivalent to today's animated gifs showing motion in games like Crimewave, and Mortal Kombat has digitized actors, but this was FILM we were talking about. Videogames had attained the sensation of watching a movie, but your were in CONTROL . . . . . sort of. The HIGHLY controversial "Night Trap" came and sunk just about everybody's ship. The false statements made by politicians like our beloved pariah Joseph Lieberman and Tipper Gore about the action in the game caused its parent company, Digital Pictures (then headed by the affable Tom Zito, now hard at work as a photographer with his own studio) to go on the bliacklists of just about every middle class parent in America who could actually afford the game for their kids. Suddenly, parents were frightened with the new power game makers had in showing explicit content to their children with the power of CD-ROM. Digital Pictures, and FMV in general, limped along into the mid 90's before losing favor quickly with gamers as new systems like the Playstation and Sega Saturn hit the market and FMV slowly became even more passe. The new systems had impressive "photorealistic graphics" and 3D polygons, but you were in control again. Still, "Night Trap" is a cult favorite (albeit a forgotten game), and it's not a bad game in and of itself. It is often (mistakenly) cited as the first game to use FMV, but it was one of the earliest.

CD technology has gone though many iterations up until now. Soon after it began to dominate the audio market, its inventor, Phillips, attempted to create a CD that would do for video what CD had done for sound. Thus, they unveiled the CD-i (or CD-interactive). This flopped big time, as did their system for playing these, the Phillips CD-i. Although slipping under the radar, one game in particular, “Voyeur,” gained notoriety for its adult nature and unique presentation and was banned in some countries, apart from being considered the CD-is showcase piece. It should be noted, however, that the CD-i format was a triumph of vision, and that were wasn't just one CD-i player. As with the 3DO, the CD-i was a technology (a medium) that could be licensed by multiple companies and systems, and not just one console. There were even video-only and portable CD-is that functioned more like VCRs or early DVD players. Big budget films saw release on CD-i, as they did earlier with laserdisc.

CDs have also embraced audio mediums such as SACD Audio, redbook (the original format), DCC audio (on 24 carrot gold discs), and DVD audio, among others.

In the video and video game front, CDs have become everything to GD-ROMS (for Sega's Dreamcast and NAOMI arcade boards), DVDs, minidiscs, miniDVDs (also used on the Nintendo Gamecube platform), CD+G, Blue-Ray (used by PS3 and supposedly scratch-proof), HD-DVD (the loser in the HD DVD battle), CD-Rs (and DVD-Rs and RWs), UMDs (Sony's PSP), Photo CDs, HVD, Laserdiscs, SVCD, Video CDs . . . the list goes on and on.

In choosing my favorites of the massive CD games medium, I'll admit I have a bias to earlier games. In my defense, there is a reason for this. Necessity is the mother of invention. Because of the fact that the medium (the disc) was more "advanced" than the systems of the time (Sega CD and Turbo CD, MS-Dos, etc.) the games became lengthier in lieu of emphasis on making incredible graphics, putting emphasis on the gameplay and the 2d beauty of the graphics instead. This resulted in games of higher quality when quality control and vision shined through (which, in the early days rarely happened because of crappy quality control and because of the fact that progammers were just learning how to program for the massive new medium). The games became lengthier, prettier, and the soundtracks became scored by live musicians in studio recordings, often with full orchestral treatments. While not a real game music fan, it is always great to play a good CD-rom game with high quality music. I remember, for example, recently reading a blog in which a player commented that he got a copy of Beyond Shadowgate for the Turbo Duo system a week after buying the universally acclaimed Super Mario 64, and thought Shadowgate was the best game he’d ever played. Thus, I choose games that stretched the then known capabilities of the medium. Games with “easter eggs” and lots of extras. Games that took existing franchises and injected new modes of play into them to take advantage of increased storage capacity. Games with massive sprites and beautiful 2D rendering. Games with fully-scored soundtracks. Games with replay value. Games with multiple endings. Games with crisper graphics. And much more.

An example of this, and one of my favorites: Sonic CD. When I was a kid, I would have died for that game. When I got it on Christmas day at age 13, I told my family (and was fully convinced) that the rest of my life lay in that shiny box. I had played it at the store (Ventura's Hi-Tech Center) on a massive TV and had caused my mom the trouble of having to rent it, along with a huge suitcase containing a Sega CD. The graphics just looked CRISPER (and it says so on the back of the box, right?). There weren't just a few bad guys. There were hundreds, in all different, crisp colors. When warping to thwe past, they looked shiny and new. When going into the future, they looked old and malfunctioned. The BOSS encounters were massive affairs and were far more elaborate than the old cartridge games. The backgrounds were crystalline and smooth, and the frame-rate, even when moving at light speed, seemed a consistent 60 FPS (even though it really wasn't.) time warping and added gameplay modes, along with a nice animated intro featuring FMV, sweetened the deal. Is it any surprise that in spite of all the more accessible and common cartridge classics, and despite the new 3D graphics, that this Sonic is most often voted the best of all of them? It is a HUGE game! Same with Twisted Metal 2. I remember telling my friends they filled that disc up to the maximum limit of storage space. So many easter eggs!

Get my point?

Then without further adieu: These, in my humble opinion, are the greatest works of gaming art ever committed to CD-ROM, at least in the early days:

(AHEM)

Sonic CD - Sega CD

Contra: Shattered Soldier - PS2

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – PSX

Full Throttle – PC CD-rom

Dracula X: Chi no Rondo - Turbo Super CD

Snatcher - Sega CD

Alundra - PSX

Lunar: The Silver Star - Sega CD

Policenauts – NEC PC-9821

Darkseed – PC CD-rom

Star Control II – 3DO

Metal Gear Solid – PSX

Final Fantasy VII – PSX

Grandia 2 – Dreamcast

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth – PC CD-rom

Quake 4 – PC DVD

Rebel Assault – PC CD-rom

Diablo – PC CD-rom

Warcraft 2 – PC CD-rom

Beyond Shadowgate – Turbo Super CD

Silent Hill (series) – PSX, PS2, others

Doom II - PC-CDROM

Vagrant Story – PSX

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue – Sega CD

Einhander – PSX

Dark Forces – PC CD-rom

Twisted Metal 2 - PSX

Rayman - PSX

Doom 3 – PC DVD

Resident Evil - PSX

Quake - PC

Quake 2 - PC-CDROM

R-Type - Turbo CD

Gradius 2: Gofer's Ambition - Turbo CD

Ys Books I and II - Turbo CD

Metroid Prime - Gcube

Tie Fighter-X-Wing – PC CD-rom

There are many more, and I'll update this list as it gets bigger and I try more of these oldies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

give neverhood a shot
    definitely the best pc game on cd i can think of

also the residents made a few cd roms
    ths gingerbread man gives an experience one will not soon forget

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

At the very least, please stop posting all of your blog articles until there has even been a chance to discuss the first one.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How in the world did Quake 4 make the list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is an obvious lack of Myst here.

It may be boring, but the landscape is amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally hate CD technology. At one point in time, in the early 90's I liked it because of what it brought to the table. Massive games, digitized video, cd-quality sound, etc etc. But now, all these can be done without the need for CD technology. Things I *HATE* about CD's are the unreliability. Moving parts always fail eventually, and scratches happen. All the older great CD consoles are now starting to fail because the lasers are wearing out, or the drive motors are wearing out, etc etc. Then there's the problem of having to get games re-surfaced because of some idiot that didn't know how to take care of it before.

Personally, I'd like to see everything go back to carts and/or flash memory. Hell even though I am opposed to the whole DLC thing, at least it will be reliable since it's all run off the HD and/or flash memory.

Nintendo had it right with the N64 and DS. Cart/Flash media is the best way to go for games. Sure it cost an arm and a leg to produce an N64 game, but these days you can surely create a blue-ray quality game and place it on the drive or flash media.

Problem is, anything but CD's cut into their bottom line. It costs then 10 cents to press a CD, so the other $59.89 is pure profit.

If they had to spend $5 to make a cart or flash based games, it would be the end of the world.

It all boils down to money. CD technology is not the best there is anymore. Optical media is very unreliable and showing it's age.

I see a future where everything is flash based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    There is an obvious lack of Myst here.

It may be boring, but the landscape is amazing.
    My thoughts exactly. Mentioned in the article but not included in the list at the end...?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Singularity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post

Problem is, anything but CD's cut into their bottom line. It costs then 10 cents to press a CD, so the other $59.89 is pure profit.
    Agree on a lot you're saying about cd's. But surely the retail price of a game does not cover just the cost of the reproduction media. Those $60 include coverage for dev cost, marketing, distribution, etc. And of course a margin for profit for the publisher.

Any medium has it's flaws. Cartridge contact/pcb's wear out, etc.
    They have more longevity than cd's , I agree. CD rot is also something of a concern (I've had priceless music cd's suffering from this and it's NO fun).
    DVD's as well... great medium , I'm a crazy DVD collector... but walk into a video store (at least in this country) and 4/10 times you rent an unplayable dvd. VHS had much more durability (my parents owned a video store in the 80's / 90's).

The format discussion can be seen everywhere. Music fanatics flamewars on vinyl superiority, etc. I've seen it in every forum for years. Then again , I think the focus of the OP is more towards the CD medium's impact in a nostalgic / retro sense. And he really hits the right chord... I also have fond memories and some lesser fond memories of those times when CD was the magic medium Nights playing 7th Guest being amazed..... remembering the "magic" of Mega CD when it was announced and I finally got to play one.

And yeah, agreed the FMV trend on consoles was fracking crap.
    Last edited by Singularity; 06-23-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nevermind
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    At the very least, please stop posting all of your blog articles until there has even been a chance to discuss the first one.
    He can't even constrain himself to just one.

http://www.progressiveu.org/blog/202...ution-part-one
    http://fragfan.blogspot.com/2010/05/...ames-ever.html

Quote Originally Posted by parker311 View Post
    The initial benifits, since most systems were still only 8- or 16-bit, came not in advanced 3D graphics so much as in longer length of games, more colors onscreen, full-motion video and animation, and sometimes ever so slightly crisper graphics, the result of a digital medium and one that could hold many times the amount of data of a cartridge, cassette, chip, or floppy disk could.
    I cannot readily think of an example where the CD-ROM meant a longer game with more colors in the 8- or 16-bit era.

An example of this, and one of my favorites: Sonic CD. When I was a kid, I would have died for that game. When I got it on Christmas day at age 13, I told my family (and was fully convinced) that the rest of my life lay in that shiny box. I had played it at the store (Ventura's Hi-Tech Center) on a massive TV and had caused my mom the trouble of having to rent it, along with a huge suitcase containing a Sega CD. The graphics just looked CRISPER (and it says so on the back of the box, right?). There weren't just a few bad guys. There were hundreds, in all different, crisp colors. When warping to thwe past, they looked shiny and new. When going into the future, they looked old and malfunctioned. The BOSS encounters were massive affairs and were far more elaborate than the old cartridge games. The backgrounds were crystalline and smooth, and the frame-rate, even when moving at light speed, seemed a consistent 60 FPS (even though it really wasn't.) time warping and added gameplay modes, along with a nice animated intro featuring FMV, sweetened the deal. Is it any surprise that in spite of all the more accessible and common cartridge classics, and despite the new 3D graphics, that this Sonic is most often voted the best of all of them? It is a HUGE game!
    No, in retrospect, Sonic CD really isn't that much more advanced than the other Sonic games of the time.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 06-23-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Dude, look at your post count.
    What's with the hatred, elitism. Is this another one of those forums?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least he's contributing to the community with some decent material instead of the same old stuff that's posted repeatedly day in and day out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Decent is very subjective in this case.

It's one thing to write an article for your blog, it's another to cross post it when it doesn't get the attention you want, especially when it's likely his motivation for coming here/coming back.

And yes, this is another one of those forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Decent is very subjective in this case.

It's one thing to write an article for your blog, it's another to cross post it when it doesn't get the attention you want, especially when it's likely his motivation for coming here/coming back.

And yes, this is another one of those forums.
    Grumpy oldschooler, I salute thee.

You'll have to excuse me sir. I'm kind of taking things at face value here, not very much "in" on the whole scene.
    Just thought the contents of the posts were an interesting read. I can imagine however, forum regulars tend to focus on the meta layer of the contributions.
    For some of us, including myself, (retro) gaming is still something of an obscure personal thing. There's virtually no "scene" where I live... so please bear with me

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Grumpy oldschooler, I salute thee.

You'll have to excuse me sir. I'm kind of taking things at face value here, not very much "in" on the whole scene.
    Just thought the contents of the posts were an interesting read. I can imagine however, forum regulars tend to focus on the meta layer of the contributions.
    For some of us, including myself, (retro) gaming is still something of an obscure personal thing. There's virtually no "scene" where I live... so please bear with me
    Linking to a blog post can be a good way to spark a discussion. I think the frustration comes more from the fact that he just kind of dumped four of them off here in short order, and seems to be doing the same on other forums.

To me it illustrates that he's more interested in getting people to read his blog postings than he is with having an interesting discussion: listening attentively to what others are saying, and reacting accordingly - much like you're doing right now. To me, that's a much more valuable contribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand the cost benefits to using CDs for storage, especially back in the 90's, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay NeoGeo prices for my PS and Saturn games, but I just hate optical discs.
    They're a read-only medium that requires moving parts in order to access, have horrible access time, are easily damaged, give developers an excuse to waste more time and money on non-interactive fluff, and worst of all, they allowed patent trolls and greedy tech cartels to ruin the removable media industry by saddling the writable versions with proprietary software requirements.
    I've never had to buy software to write to a tape, floppy disc, magneto-optical disc, or flash card, and I've never had my computer tell me I can't play any of those things because they're not authorized for my region. In five years time, optical discs will be on their way out, and I say good riddance.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about games like Another World (Out of This World in the US)? Goddamn, the 3DO version of that game is easily my favorite. Beautiful, stylized graphics and a great musical score.

Android Assault is another one of my favorite games. This Sega CD shooter is really fun. It's a bit generic, but I like it better than Silpheed or Robo Aleste. Easily one of my favorite shooters ever.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I personally hate CD technology.
    Hmm. Well... I personally hate you, for personally hating CD technology. Sorry.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I personally hate CD technology. CD technology is not the best there is anymore. Optical media is very unreliable and showing it's age.
    If you hate CDs, then you surely must think 3.5 in. floppy disks are much better and more reliable.

In reality, none of these mediums can last. CDs scratch and warp to death, floppies get killed by magnets, even carts will die someday, including the chips. The only thing that has lasted is stone, which is quite ironic. Our floppies get killed in an instant by magnetic blasts, and stone is worn down over millenia. Nothing lasts.

Yeah, I know it's sad, but it's just a thought. If things are taken care of gently, the carts could last up to a century at the most, IMO. It all depends on how you handle the medium. If you carefully handle the discs, they will not be scratched much and still in good condition. I have CDs from 1987 that are barely scratched, and that's 23 years right now. It's truly about how you take care of your things. Don't treat them as another "meh" convienence and screw around with them like they're common clothing, treat them as they are: a source of entertainment brought by scientific ingenuity and advancement.

Atari carts have been around for over 30 years and they're still going. CDs have been around since October 1982, and that's coming up on 28. They do last, but not as long as natural things. Just use them while they're still around, and have fun with them while they last, all while being careful with them.

EDIT: Kitsune brought up a good point. Unless the manufacturer was one known or is one known for making CDs of dubious quality, they can last a long time. If the manufacturer is a bad one, they will suffer bitrot from a bad process.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Unfortunately, even brand new CDs can suffer from deterioration. I have several old CDs from the 80s and 90s which are completely unusable because they developed pinprick holes in the reflective layer. Sometimes the CDs just go bad because they weren't manufactured with long-time use in mind.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 06-23-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic