Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best NES CLONE console? I have conditions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default What is the best NES CLONE console? I have conditions.

OK, there seems to be several including ones that play also SNES / Genesis etc. Here's the thing, my ONLY NES hardware is my FC Mobile II Handheld, fine and dandy but I want a console. OF COURSE I KNOW overall the original Toaster is best but I hate the issues with reliability with the pins etc. I would like recommendations on the best overall NES Clone console keeping in mind I would like the following features IF POSSIBLE. Please post your opinions, comments, experience:

Would prefer:

1. Decent game compatibility.
    2. Game Genie compatibility.
    3. PowerPak from Retrozone Compatibility.
    4. Composite video out.
    5. Acceptable sound.

Now I know the die hards will insist on a real NES but is there any clone that meets the above criteria? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I was pretty happy with my later release FC Twin. Had good compatibility (except with the usuals like castlevania III), the sound was *ok* for a clone, not NES perfect, but most games not bad. The graphics were great, not much of a difference.

If I was your common Joe Blow, I'd probably not be able to tell the differences. Carts fit nice, not too tight (once it was broken in). The SNES side worked GREAT. Sounded/Looked/Played perfect on the SNES side, I could not tell a difference. The controllers are somewhat MEH, but I used my SNES controllers in mine, the cords were longer anyways. Also has standard composite A/V out, so easy to find cords for it.

As far as powerpak compatibility, I would think that it would work, everything else worked in it except for Castlevania III (that was the only game I had an issue with). I don't know if it will work or not however.

Oh yeah, the Zapper won't work in it because it has SNES controller ports.. but who cares really. Not sure if the Super Scope works or not, I am not much of a big Zapper fan so I didn't care much.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 06-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The big problem is that all clone systems are made cheaply and, thus, prone to breaking. You talk about reliability issues w/ the NES "toasters," and yet they have been around for almost 20 years now (or is it longer?) and many of them still work fine and dandy. You can't say the same for these clone systems. And when THEY break, there's no blowing in em or bending pins, it's usually the plastic has cracked or something.

I had a Messiah Generation NEX, which I got for hte Famicom compatibility only. When I realized it didn't play half the Famicom carts I had (or play them correctly, anyway) I sold the system on Amazon to someone who almost immediately broke it. Thankfully the buyer knew they were responsible (that cart slot is a tight bitch and I'd been using it for awhile before selling it, but it was still tight) so I didn't have any trouble over it, but can you imagine?

I'll stick w/ original hardware, thanks. My toaster works perfectly and I've done absolutely nothing to get it to work perfectly. Most of them just require a good cleaning. It's not difficult and you'll have a system that lasts a lifetime.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    OK, there seems to be several including ones that play also SNES / Genesis etc. Here's the thing, my ONLY NES hardware is my FC Mobile II Handheld, fine and dandy but I want a console. OF COURSE I KNOW overall the original Toaster is best but I hate the issues with reliability with the pins etc. I would like recommendations on the best overall NES Clone console keeping in mind I would like the following features IF POSSIBLE. Please post your opinions, comments, experience:

Would prefer:

4. Composite video out.
    5. Acceptable sound.

Now I know the die hards will insist on a real NES but is there any clone that meets the above criteria? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Retro Duo is the way to go. Check the thread! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114088

Some of the best compatibility including Castlevania III, confirmed to work with the Power Pak (which we also got to work fine with an FC3 unit at PAX East) by DP Users, composite/S-Video options and very acceptable sound.

You can also use genuine SNES controllers, which is always nice.

While the SNES Game Genie will work fine with the Retro Duo, I'm uncertain if an NES Game Genie will fit into any top-loader style unit, clone or otherwise without one of these adapters:

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-27-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely, the best NES/Famiclone is Dendy/Pegasus IQ-502 rev 1, but I don't think that is possible to get 'em via eBay. Also, they should not work with US TVs (50Hz).

Why? No black bubbles on PCB, hardware very similar to original Famicom, huge compatibility with NTSC US titles (not so good with PAL games -> vide Asterix) using 72->60 adapter, full compatibility with VRC games (Madara, Langrange Point). Alnd the last thing -> design. Just great.
    Last edited by Dred; 06-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Interesting responses, giving me a lot to think about and consider, much appreciated, any other comments or thoughts PLEASE chime in thanks!

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Definitely, the best NES/Famiclone is Dendy/Pegasus IQ-502 rev 1, but I don't think that is possible to get 'em via eBay. Also, they should not work with US TVs (50Hz).

Why? No black bubbles on PCB, hardware very similar to original Famicom, huge compatibility with NTSC US titles (not so good with PAL games -> vide Asterix) using 72->60 adapter, full compatibility with VRC games (Madara, Langrange Point). Alnd the last thing -> design. Just great.
    It's actually made by TXC/Micro Genius - other Micro Genius models (IQ-501, IQ-701, IQ-1000/2000 with wireless controllers etc) are basically the same hardware-wise. You can even get 60hz versions in some parts of the world (and a 72-pin version of the IQ-701). Plus theyre compatible with original Famicom accessories.

But, yeah, you do have to watch out for later revisions - they switched to a less compatible NOAC design. And new Micro Geniuses (mostly sold in Turkey) are just rebranded generic clones, they don't have anything to do with the original company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a new NES/SNES/Genesis clone by Hyperkin called the RetroN 3 that
    accepts original controllers and has s-video output for SNES/Genesis:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Yobo FC is what I have, and it works perfectly fine. My only problem is that it has only one audio cable, meaning the sound is REALLY low (I have to crank it up to a volume of 70 to hear it as well as I'd like). The sound is also just a tad bit different, at least in pitch but it's hard to even notice unless you've actually played the original NES. It works well with the accessories, but I have yet to test a game genie or unlicensed Tengen cartridges on it. I've had it for a few years, and it hasn't shown any signs of dying on me. The controllers can act strange for a few moments if they aren't cleaned properly so be aware of that.

It's very inexpensive for a clone console. I've heard people getting them for 20 bucks on the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post

Would prefer:

4. Composite video out.
    5. Acceptable sound.

I will go with the FC Twin also. Some elitist dumbasses will go THE SOUND IS OFF. IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE NOT AN AUDIOPHILE. and try to make you feel stupid/inferior.

Ignore them. They don't know what they're talking about.

Side by Side comparisons to a real NES (front and top loader), disprove any sound problems.

Mine works w/ all of the above mentioned crap, has composite out, and if you snap the little tabs off inside, will play SFC games also.......get a convertor for NES, and you play FC also. So thats 4 systems in one unit, for like, 35 monies.... can't go wrong with that man!

Do it!

You miss out on like 3 games. CV3 is the only one I can think of, but oh well.

the only downer is the packin controllers suck. Just use real SNES controllers and you are set.

I have two FC Twins that are both about 4 years old, running strong.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the FC Twins really are pretty rock solid. Although I do think there is a difference in the sound quality, especially in the highs and lows and some sound effects like the coins in SMB.

But like you said, unless you are REALLY paying attention and have both consoles side by side, you won't notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yeah the FC Twins really are pretty rock solid. Although I do think there is a difference in the sound quality, especially in the highs and lows and some sound effects like the coins in SMB.

But like you said, unless you are REALLY paying attention and have both consoles side by side, you won't notice.
    right, and if you are that obnoxiously OCD about some little bleepbloops that really sound OK either way, stop whining and buy a real NES then.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just buy a Retro Duo....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is a top loader with an aftermarket cartridge port not an option?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For modern Famiclones, I'd take a modified RetroDuo. Out of the box, the NES side has such heavily distorted audio that some games will give you a massive earache. See for yourself(these are my videos, by the way):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZ3Id9k0OE
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvcx6-2LEgI
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtzf2CEG0Wo
    Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4yMjv8IMU

Really nasty sound unless you add a 2.2Kohm resistor and a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor to the sound circuit. It is the most compatible modern-day Famiclone, however, but what good is a compatible clone if you have to play most games with no sound?

My personal recommendation is to get one of the classic Famiclones and a Ricoh 2A03 CPU. The cloned CPUs will give sound just as wrong as most NOACs, but most, if not all of the classic Famiclones, have socketed chips on the motherboard for the clones CPU and PPU. The cloned PPU can be left there, but the cloned CPU must be replaced by an original Ricoh 2A03 for proper sound. I have a MicroGenius IQ-501 on which I've replaced the CPU by a 2A03 taken out of a dead Front-Loader NES, and the sound is perfect, except that the sound output was a little bit distorted due to some resistors on the motherboard that aren't the correct value for the 2A03's sound output.

Really, though, if you want to spare yourself some trouble with Famiclones, get a RetroBit Retro Entertainment System or an FC Twin. They sound good, their picture is very nice(slight edge to the RES for its brighter picture), and their compatibility is quite good. I only had issues with 3 games: Castlevania III(crashes when starting a game), Rad Racer II(playable, but the graphics are completely screwed up) and Tengen's After Burner(no backgrounds).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I got the RetroN 1, which is basically the RetroN 3 without Genesis and SNES slots. I don't know if it has PowerPak compatibility or Game Genie compatibility, but it probably does. The sound is good on every game I have except SMB3, and also it's cheap at only $30. It puts a death grip on your cartridges, though, and the controllers that come with it are sh!t and break really easily.

Actually, the best is the Generation NEX by Messiah Entertainment, but good luck getting that for under $200.
    Last edited by xtreme500; 12-29-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

They're all crap.

Ain't nothing like the real thing.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if anyone is looking for the best FAMICOM clone, definitely go with the Famulator. It plays everything, including Zelda!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the retro duo.
    The nes side on mine works perfect with a game genie. And yes it does take snes controllers but....

.....NO FREEKIN ZAPPER!!!!!!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0) fourswords's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm quite happy with my retro duo. never had any compatibility issues with it....