Thread: Wii remote at $5,132

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii remote at $5,132

Okay, I want to know what this person did to piss off someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nintendo-Wii...item4cf0195a7b
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha WTF, the bidder had 0 feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would guess that it is fake (being from Hong Kong) and second, way to steal images from IGN.

Ooops, guess that doesn't answer the original question.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like previously stated, it is a fake. They are advertising it as Nintendo. There is a HUGE price difference between bootleg wiimotes and the real deal. I have a bootleg, and it works great. BUT...when I bought it, it wasn't advertised as an official Nintendo wiimote. I thought I was getting a cheap no-name controller. I was surprised when the wiimote showed up, and it was a full on bootleg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

How does that even happen? Did they forget how to use the decimal point or something? Sucks to be him.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) bohproper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow somebody really must want to play some tennis

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhm View Post
    Like previously stated, it is a fake. They are advertising it as Nintendo. There is a HUGE price difference between bootleg wiimotes and the real deal. I have a bootleg, and it works great. BUT...when I bought it, it wasn't advertised as an official Nintendo wiimote. I thought I was getting a cheap no-name controller. I was surprised when the wiimote showed up, and it was a full on bootleg.
    Things produced in China sometimes follow this progression;

A) Production operators in China are contracted to produce X amount of Y product for Z company.
    B) In the course of a given production period, they have extra capacity (material, man power/hours etc.) to produce more than they are contracted to produce. So...
    C) They continue to produce the same product as usual, but this production is not contractually owed to their clients. It's gravy. Product that comes about like this is the exact same product in all respects, maybe has omitted branding, logos, official packaging and such and may have more lax quality testing, but it's otherwise identical to the other 'legit' items that were produced under contract. They're both made on the same line by the same people, equipment and process, basically.
    D) They sell the 'extra' production by whatever means they can, undercutting their clients product price.
    E) Profit.

From what I understand, this is fairly common with the Wii controllers. Among other things, like golf clubs and even music instruments like drums, hardware and cymbals.

I bet the seller is more cheesed about the auction situation than the buyer.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-08-2010 at 07:29 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because the item sold for a price doesn't mean the buyer paid....

So nothing to see here.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post

A) Production operators in China are contracted to produce X amount of Y product for Z company.
    B) In the course of a given production period, they have extra capacity (material, man power/hours etc.) to produce more than they are contracted to produce. So...
    C) They continue to produce the same product as usual, but this production is not contractually owed to their clients. It's gravy. Product that comes about like this is the exact same product in all respects, maybe has omitted branding, logos, official packaging and such and may have more lax quality testing, but it's otherwise identical to the other 'legit' items that were produced under contract. They're both made on the same line by the same people, equipment and process, basically.
    D) They sell the 'extra' production by whatever means they can, undercutting their clients product price.
    E) Profit.

From what I understand, this is fairly common with the Wii controllers. Among other things, like golf clubs and even music instruments like drums, hardware and cymbals.

Happens with Disney Pins all the time. From what I undertsand there's significantly more grey market pins than legit ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post

E) Profit.

You left out the step of switching to lead and/or cadmium based paint because it's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Just because the item sold for a price doesn't mean the buyer paid....

So nothing to see here.
    Yes, but it's still very odd that 2 bidders would do the same thing. I could see them messing up the decimal point, but still, even $51.32 is too high. Bidding war indeed. Also, the guy had 0 feedback so I can only imagine his reaction when he got his very first ebay invoice.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, they've never recalled 'legit' stuff for those types of paint... Oh, wait.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sph1nx View Post
    Happens with Disney Pins all the time. From what I undertsand there's significantly more grey market pins than legit ones.
    I know about someone, (friend of a friend of a friend type thing), who deals in those Disney pins, but they are not cheap knock-offs. They are made by the same factory that made the original. It is that when Disney put in an order for 5000 of a limited edition pin, the factory made an extra batch for their "other buyers."

JY