Thread: Question for Giana Sisters Nintendo DS

Insert Coin (Level 0) N 2 Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question for Giana Sisters Nintendo DS

First, I am completely unaware of PAL format regularities (hence, my question). I recently purchased two copies of Giana Sisters DS(one for playing, one to stay sealed). Before I open one, I have a question. Both of them appear to have the same type of seal, with one exception. One copy has a little red mark on the front (commonly found among sealed products; usually signifying a pull tab) Basically one has the mark, and the pull tab, but the other is completely absent of either. Another strange note, the one with the pull tab and red mark has the Y-folds on the top, and bottom of the game case (like ALL other games, I've ever encountered sealed). The other has it's Y-folds located on the left, and right (the first I've ever seen of that). My question is, which one (if either) was properly sealed? (according to the majority of current Nintendo DS sealed PAL games)

I have included a pic to better explain.

Thanks for any info!
    "It has never been better to be a retro gamer." ~ HVGN (Derek Alexander)
    "Delivery is 50% of communication" ~ Me

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N 2 Nintendo View Post
    First, I am completely unaware of PAL format regularities (hence, my question). I recently purchased two copies of Giana Sisters DS(one for playing, one to stay sealed). Before I open one, I have a question. Both of them appear to have the same type of seal, with one exception. One copy has a little red mark on the front (commonly found among sealed products; usually signifying a pull tab) Basically one has the mark, and the pull tab, but the other is completely absent of either. Another strange note, the one with the pull tab and red mark has the Y-folds on the top, and bottom of the game case (like ALL other games, I've ever encountered sealed). The other has it's Y-folds located on the left, and right (the first I've ever seen of that). My question is, which one (if either) was properly sealed? (according to the majority of current Nintendo DS sealed PAL games)

I have included a pic to better explain.

Thanks for any info!
    Most recent PAL games have a red or black recycle symbol on the pull tab on the front of the case. I have never seen a PAL or any DS game for that matter with Y Folds on the left and right. I can't say for sure as I have the English/Australian version of Giana, not the German version, but mine has pretty standard Y Folds on the top and bottom and a recycle symbol on the pull tab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Most recent PAL games have a red or black recycle symbol on the pull tab on the front of the case. I have never seen a PAL or any DS game for that matter with Y Folds on the left and right. I can't say for sure as I have the English/Australian version of Giana, not the German version, but mine has pretty standard Y Folds on the top and bottom and a recycle symbol on the pull tab.

That is quite interesting. By what you are saying it must be something that isn't seen often. Not that it may be worth that much, as it's probably not the type of thing that is considered more desirable or collectible. Still you have to wonder how many games get clearance through quality assurance like this (the seal, and/or case is not damaged or therefore of any less quality of that of a standard, or normal seal). I think I'll open the one that's got the "normal" Y-fold locations (I kind of like the idea of having an "error" packaging, but that's just me).

Here's some more pics on the Y-folds locations on both copies for verification.
    Last edited by N 2 Nintendo; 07-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mind if I ask where you ordered from? I wouldn't mind picking up a copy myself.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That is quite interesting. By what you are saying it must be something that isn't seen often. Not that it may be worth that much, as it's probably not the type of thing that is considered more desirable or collectible. Still you have to wonder how many games get clearance through quality assurance like this (the seal, and/or case is not damaged or therefore of any less quality of that of a standard, or normal seal). I think I'll open the one that's got the "normal" Y-fold locations (I kind of like the idea of having an "error" packaging, but that's just me).

Here's some more pics on the Y-folds locations on both copies for verification.
    I don't know, if it doesn't have the pull tab, it could also be a reseal. I have seen some Hong Kong shops with Y Fold wrapping machines recently and a sure giveaway that something isn't factory is if the pull tab isn't present. It could also be a bootleg, although I haven't heard any reports of bootleg Giana Sisters out there, but it's certainly possible as many Hong Kong sellers are now selling European version bootlegs of DS games even on Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette View Post
    Mind if I ask where you ordered from? I wouldn't mind picking up a copy myself.
    I purchased both copies from the same seller on eBay. I had to purchases the listing originally from eBay Germany. The seller's feedvback is 100%, with them being a member since 2006. Their total feedback ratings out numbers my own by nearly 150(I'm just under 250, most my mine is buyer feedback though). It seems like it is legit. I've further inspected both copies and they both appear to factory sealed. (It appears to have been made with the exact same cellophane wrap when sealed). So I'm inclined to say it appears to not be a bootleg at this point.

Another hypothesis I have would be to send them both to a grading company (the only one I know of is VGA). I've yet to send any of my sealed games to be graded, but I've been intending to for some time. Would the VGA even considered grading PAL games? I can't say I've even seen a PAL game graded anywhere, period. Even if they were to grade them, would they take special note of the differences or even care if they did? I guess its worth a shot, but not a cheap one, it may take me some time to get around to that theory's application.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I purchased both copies from the same seller on eBay. I had to purchases the listing originally from eBay Germany. The seller's feedvback is 100%, with them being a member since 2006. Their total feedback ratings out numbers my own by nearly 150(I'm just under 250, most my mine is buyer feedback though). It seems like it is legit. I've further inspected both copies and they both appear to factory sealed. (It appears to have been made with the exact same cellophane wrap when sealed). So I'm inclined to say it appears to not be a bootleg at this point.

Another hypothesis I have would be to send them both to a grading company (the only one I know of is VGA). I've yet to send any of my sealed games to be graded, but I've been intending to for some time. Would the VGA even considered grading PAL games? I can't say I've even seen a PAL game graded anywhere, period. Even if they were to grade them, would they take special note of the differences or even care if they did? I guess its worth a shot, but not a cheap one, it may take me some time to get around to that theory's application.
    Actually, VGA does grade PAL stuff, although I'm not sure what the point of paying all that money to grade a game worth maybe $40-$50 would be. While it could be a factory error, sealed collectors probably would value the one without the pull tab/symbol at far less simply because without the pull tab, there is some doubt about its authenticity. The fact that you bought the game off Ebay and not from a retailer makes me even more skeptical of its origin. I have seen even experienced collectors and sellers get fooled by bootlegs recently and there are now lots of PAL ones coming out of Hong Kong which use factory identical cases and the same exact wrap as legit ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, VGA does grade PAL stuff, although I'm not sure what the point of paying all that money to grade a game worth maybe $40-$50 would be. While it could be a factory error, sealed collectors probably would value the one without the pull tab/symbol at far less simply because without the pull tab, there is some doubt about its authenticity. The fact that you bought the game off Ebay and not from a retailer makes me even more skeptical of its origin. I have seen even experienced collectors and sellers get fooled by bootlegs recently and there are now lots of PAL ones coming out of Hong Kong which use factory identical cases and the same exact wrap as legit ones.
    It's not so much the total monetary value in the end, as it's just my own personal want to know either way. Plus, if it were to be authenticated by the VGA, I'd be pleased as well because I was (what I consider) fortunate enough to luckily stumble upon it. I guess both copies can take a trip VGA, because I can always just open one of the graded cases, once they returned (yes I know it's wasteful of money, but who else is gonna do it?)

But I feel if anyone could legitimately verify authentication of original factory seal, even in this situation, would definitely be VGA.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regarding bootlegs, as I understand it most pirates use PAL cases. Anyone know if they also use the slimmer grey US/JPN cases as well? Also, I've got a sealed US copy of Lunar Knights with the top right and bottom right flaps similar to N 2 Nintendo's defect copy.

The seal is exactly the same as this copy on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lunar-Knights-...ht_3591wt_1082
    Last edited by Enixis; 07-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enixis View Post
    Regarding bootlegs, as I understand it most pirates use PAL cases. Anyone know if they also use the slimmer grey US/JPN cases as well? Also, I've got a sealed US copy of Lunar Knights with the top right and bottom right flaps similar to N 2 Nintendo's defect copy.

The seal is exactly the same as this copy on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lunar-Knights-...ht_3591wt_1082
    Yes, there are tons of bootlegs out there in US and Japanese cases. That copy of Lunar Knights on Ebay has a legit looking seal, although again, the pirates have access to Y Fold wrapping machines now and usually you have to open the game to check out the cartridge to know for sure. If you had no Y Folds on the top and bottom (the one linked from Ebay has proper Y Folds on the top and bottom per the pictures), then you might have a more obvious concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not so much the total monetary value in the end, as it's just my own personal want to know either way. Plus, if it were to be authenticated by the VGA, I'd be pleased as well because I was (what I consider) fortunate enough to luckily stumble upon it. I guess both copies can take a trip VGA, because I can always just open one of the graded cases, once they returned (yes I know it's wasteful of money, but who else is gonna do it?)

But I feel if anyone could legitimately verify authentication of original factory seal, even in this situation, would definitely be VGA.
    What about VGA makes you believe that they can be 100% correct in telling you if the seal is factory or not?
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, there are tons of bootlegs out there in US and Japanese cases. That copy of Lunar Knights on Ebay has a legit looking seal, although again, the pirates have access to Y Fold wrapping machines now and usually you have to open the game to check out the cartridge to know for sure. If you had no Y Folds on the top and bottom (the one linked from Ebay has proper Y Folds on the top and bottom per the pictures), then you might have a more obvious concern.
    Bojay1997 - Thanks! I was wondering more about the 'Y fold' folding the other way (not on the top but on the side down the opening of the box) and whether this is a common occurrence. Notice it on that ebay link I sent for lunar knights. Also, have the pirates really stepped up their game with high res game covers that look as good as the originals or can you still tell them apart by the blurry images? I'm getting a bit concerned as I'm in the process of starting a sealed US DS collection.

N 2 Nintendo - I've been meaning to get Giana Sisters DS for some time now. I'll let you know about the seal when I get a copy from amazon germany. However, I suggest in terms of which copy to open, I say open the one with the odd seal. At least then you won't be keeping a sealed copy and doubting its authenticity in the years to come.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DS Games isn't PAL just Euro or UK version..

Stop saying PAL

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    DS Games isn't PAL just Euro or UK version..

Stop saying PAL
    That's not correct either. There are multi-language European versions, monolingual French and Spanish European versions, UK versions, Australian versions, etc...PAL is just a shorthand way for me to describe a particular region, but you're correct that the video standards don't really apply to the DS for European release games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enixis View Post
    Bojay1997 - Thanks! I was wondering more about the 'Y fold' folding the other way (not on the top but on the side down the opening of the box) and whether this is a common occurrence. Notice it on that ebay link I sent for lunar knights. Also, have the pirates really stepped up their game with high res game covers that look as good as the originals or can you still tell them apart by the blurry images? I'm getting a bit concerned as I'm in the process of starting a sealed US DS collection.

N 2 Nintendo - I've been meaning to get Giana Sisters DS for some time now. I'll let you know about the seal when I get a copy from amazon germany. However, I suggest in terms of which copy to open, I say open the one with the odd seal. At least then you won't be keeping a sealed copy and doubting its authenticity in the years to come.
    The pirates have gotten so bad that many collectors won't buy DS games on Ebay at all. It started off as just Hong Kong sellers doing it, but I have found many US sellers that seem legit selling bootleg games as well. The inserts and cases are very professionally made and in many cases look nearly identical to the real thing and certainly not different enough to identify from a picture on Ebay (most sellers don't even post photos anyway nowadays and use stock shots). Typically, you can't even tell unless you open the game and you might see some odd cart shapes or a weird sticker as they seem to put less attention into the game cart itself. The best bootlegs even have identical carts and you can't tell until you insert them in a DSi and the game doesn't work.