Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pics of my Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New pics of my Atari 2600

Here is my CX2600A. Purchased with about 40 games at a garage sale for $5 about 10 years ago.

I recently got a new RCA ----> RF adapter and the quality is good. I was using the Radio Shack TV/Game switch box. Garbage! Get this, much better! Of course it might not be as sharp as the Composite Video mod, but I think it's good! And my LCD doesn't like Composite anyways, RF tends to look better actually.

And the Genesis 6-button pad is THE best Atari controller ever! Except of course the Genesis Arcade Stick.

Last edited by Oldskool; 04-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks nice on that Polaroid LCD.

I used to have a 32 in. NEC RGB monitor I watched TV with, and it made Atari's RF look stunning. Too bad it burnt out when a tree struck a power line nearby and burnt a lot of our electronics. Oh, well, now I have a 27 in. Toshiba CRT and it still looks good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you using the old style switch box or did you get the newer pass through adapter like the one I just got?

How did you hook it up to an RGB monitor? Was there an RF input on the back of it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's almost the same Atari that I have, but mine does not have the wood color front panel.

And I'm looking for a official 6 button controller for my genesis, luck you that you have it. But the felling of playing in the single button atari controller is wonderful.

And the image seems pretty clear for the RF cable.
    Have you ever thought of modding your atari for rca outputs ?

I'm very scared to do moddings but people say that the image quality is a lot better. And as I can see you have a HDTV television, so you should try it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I am going to mod it for composite video. Might look better but I am pretty happy with the picture. And really with it not being super sharp, it helps to blend in the colors a bit and smooth things out.

Sounds like you have a Vader if it's the all black Atari. The Vaders are nice! I think they were trying to modernize the looks with that one.

As far as official 6 button controllers, yeah they are sort of hard to find these days. Ebay always has a couple up at any given time, but normally there are TONS of Chinese knock offs (They don't say Sega on them, beware).

I've collected a handful of the official 6-button controllers over the years. I have the one with the turbo buttons too, but I don't like the feel of it. The older 6-button control pads like the one shown "feel" the best. And the quality seems much better.

I've got a bunch of the original Atari joysticks, but I really don't like them. They wear your hands out very quickly since you have to move the joystick with some decent force to get it to do anything. Of course you can always remove the rubber around the joystick and it'll be better, but then what good is it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Are you using the old style switch box or did you get the newer pass through adapter like the one I just got?

How did you hook it up to an RGB monitor? Was there an RF input on the back of it?
    Yeah, it was a weird 1988 NEC 32 in. RGB monitor that had an RF input, two RGB ports for PCs and 4 other inputs that looked to be the old style of DIN inputs, about eight or nine pins.

It worked really well with the 1987 stereo I had that also got fried with the brownout caused by a tree.

Also, I use a switch box that came from Radio Shack in the 90s according to my dad and a coax cable due to the Atari switch box being MIA after 2.4 decades.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And the Genesis 6-button pad is THE best Atari controller ever! Except of course the Genesis Arcade Stick.
    Whoa! Sega Genesis is great, Atari 2600 is great. But the Genesis controller has the worst D-pad in history.

The best 2600 sticks are the standard Atari branded stick and the Wico Command Control series.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No way man, the 6-button Sega pad has an EXCELLENT D-Pad. You might be thinking of the original 3-button controllers.

I have some original Atari branded Joysticks, I don't like them at all. Too stiff.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No way man, the 6-button Sega pad has an EXCELLENT D-Pad. You might be thinking of the original 3-button controllers.
    The 3-button Genny controller has the worst D-pad. The 6-button has the second worst D-pad. For some games it doesn't make too much difference, but if you're trying to play 4-way games like Ms. Pac or Ultimate Qix with a Genesis D-pad, forget it.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have some original Atari branded Joysticks, I don't like them at all. Too stiff.
    Whenever I have the option to choose a 2600 stick, I always choose the EPYX 500XJ

And yes, I wear a leather driving glove too.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing I play my 2600 with is with a Flashback 2 stick. Looser and more reliable than the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Whenever I have the option to choose a 2600 stick, I always choose the EPYX 500XJ

And yes, I wear a leather driving glove too.
    Dude, that's freakin' bad-ass! It's like the knight rider of joysticks.

Looks ergonomic too.

I do have some sort of an aftermarket joystick that's a lot better than the factory joysticks, but not sure what kind it is... ok I just looked. It's an ACE. Looks a lot like the factory joysticks. I'm not even sure I ever even tried it before.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Your RF looks a lot clearer than mine. I may need a new RF cable.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What setup are you running on yours?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Same as you, 2600 right to the RCA/RF connector into the HDTV.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. yeah maybe you do need a cable then. Do you have a lot of electronic equipment near your TV? Especially anything with a radio frequency? Cordless phones, cell phones, anything like that?

I notice when my cell phone is near the 2600 and it's sending/receiving anything it displays garbage on the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm.. yeah maybe you do need a cable then. Do you have a lot of electronic equipment near your TV? Especially anything with a radio frequency? Cordless phones, cell phones, anything like that?

I notice when my cell phone is near the 2600 and it's sending/receiving anything it displays garbage on the screen.
    Even when I use a shielded cable (an old gold-plated right audio cable that I have no match to) it displays garbage. It's all in what is nearby, such as my Wii being near my 2600 in my room and being near the wireless internet box in my living room. For now, until I AV modify my 2600 Jr., I'm just running Wii2600 off of my Wii with the games I already own carts to. So, unless you have an AV modded 2600, that's my suggestion if you can't fix the problem, Greg2600. Either that or a Flashback 2 with a cart slot modded on, which runs most games with a few exceptions.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Some games look fine. It depends on the games, and what colors they use. For instance, frogger had a lot of distortion, but super breakout looks perfect. It's perfectly playable, and that's all I care about. I do need to replace this ancient ac adapter I have, though, which could be affecting it. Mine is also one of the earlier "Heavy Sixer" models.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Just an update, I took my 2600 apart and used a common Composite (RCA) cable to connect to the TV via RF and the picture is crystal clear. The colors might not be exact, it's RF, but a new cable seems to make a huge difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happened to your images? I'd like to see them.