Thread: Anyone here ever play Imagic's Dragonfire?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone here ever play Imagic's Dragonfire?

There are some games that never get boring after nearly 30 years and Dragonfire is a great example.

For those of you who have never played it, Dragonfire has you controlling a man who must first cross a bridge while jumping and ducking fireballs. Once you get inside the castle, you have to collect all the treasures while avoiding the fireballs being breathed at you by a dragon. Once you collect all the treasures, you go through the door and repeat the whole process. The treasures are worth more and the dragon becomes more faster and breathes his fire faster and more often. The game becomes absolutely crazy really fast.

The only flaw in the game is that once you die, you quickly respawn and if you're not careful, you might lose another life before you know it. You are invincible from the fireballs in both screens if you stay behind your door on the right. You have to try and stay there and map out your strategy.

I liked the 2600 version the best. I never owned the CV version. I've only played emulated versions of CV Dragonfire and it seems like I can't even jump over the low fireballs. They added other obstacles like an archer, a moving floor and a troll in the treasure room but I can't get far in the game because I keep dying in attempts to jump over that low fireball.

Still, it's a great game in any case. Perhaps I'll find the CV version someday.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the same note: Has anyone here ever played Adventure for the Atari?

Just my snarky way of saying "Anyone who frequents DP probably has four copies of Dragonfire in his collection."

To get it back on topic, I recall a great glitch that was triggered when your "fried" the system (obviously never EVER recommended). Anyway, when you got to the dragon's room, the treasures would not be randomly scattered across the playfield. Rather they were lined up alongside the edge of the screen, just under the door. Run to the bottom, zip straight up, collect them all and exit the door. Also, I thinkt he only treasure that would be available were the diamonds, making it a big ol' point scoring grab.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya, DF is awesome. It's funny though as I don't remember that game as being one of Imagics big hits back then and never saw it. The only Imagic games I had originally were Demon Attack, Trick Shot, Cosmic Ark, Atlantis and Riddle of the Sphinx. Oh, and Fathom was awesome too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Intellivision version is pretty great too. The Atari version moves fast when it gets to collecting the treasures, but the Intellivision is just about the same speed. And I think it's 16-direction disc makes it a little easier to maneuver.

I just wish Imagic made more games along the lines of Riddle of the Sphinx. It was a pretty linear adventure game, but just imagine how great a similar style of game could be once they really started pushing the envelope around 1984 or so. Make it scroll in different directions when needed, let you go inside buildings, hidden rooms, and maybe even a boss or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleAddict View Post
    There are some games that never get boring after nearly 30 years and Dragonfire is a great example.
    Dragonfire is an AWESOME game! I have discussed this very thing with people before. There are a lot of games for the 2600 that for whatever reason just don't keep my attention anymore. Tunnel Runner used to be one of my favorite games. Its a great showcase for what the 2600 could do, although I think it used an extra chip. Regardless, I could play it for hours, but anymore It can only hold my attention for a few levels.

Dragonfire however, is one of the few 2600 games that I can still play for long periods of time. Venture is also one of those games. I never really thought about it before, but the basics of the games are VERY similar. The goal and objectives are clear and they get right into the action.

They both consist of two distinct screens with different play styles. Dragonfire has the draw bridge where you have to jump and duck (platform style) and then the treasure room where you have to collect the treasure and dodge the dragon and his fire (free-form movement, Gauntlet style).

Venture is very similar. It has the overview of the level which you navigate the corridors and avoid the hall monsters (pacman style). Then once you enter the rooms you have to shoot the monsters an collect the treasure (Gauntlet style).

I love em' both. They were great games then and still great game today.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dragonfires speed, great graphics, and precise control make it one of the top games on the system. if you are ever trying to convert a non-believer on the greatness of the vcs, this is the game to try

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I played Dragonfire as a kid shortly after its release. Back then, it was one of the 2600 games I kept going back to. Collecting the colorful flashing treasures felt rewarding, and the further you got in the game, the more kinds of treasures appeared. In that way, it's kind of like Demon Attack. you want to advance to see the different types of demons.

I bought the game again a couple of years ago, and I still pop it in from time to time. I don't think I like it as much as I used to since the speeds of the dragons increase so much, it gets impossible to maneuver through the fireballs.

I will say it's a great game to test controllers with, since it's quick, and allows you to move in every direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    On the same note: Has anyone here ever played Adventure for the Atari?

Just my snarky way of saying "Anyone who frequents DP probably has four copies of Dragonfire in his collection."

Haha, ain't that the truth.

On topic, Dragonfire happens to be one of my favorite games and I have it for multiple playforms. I like the Vic-20 version best for some reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Havent played it in a long while....will have to check it out
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For anyone who has the CV version: is the jumping wonky or anything? It seems like you don't have much hang time on your jumps in the emulated version of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dragonfire is in my top 3 2600 games along
    with River Raid and Seaquest.

Thanks for the reminder, i will have to pull it out
    and play it this weekend.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have the CV version in cart form. You are correct, the control is difficult and the game speed is too fast at some points. For whatever the reason, CV ports often have this. Tutankham, Miner 2049er, a lot of the precursors to side scrolling, the character moves too quickly. With all that said, I prefer the CV over the 2600 because of the HUGE graphical improvement.

PS: Did Imagic ever make a bad game? They had many of the best games on the 2600, with some of those great labels, too. Their Intellivision games were all very good, and had great graphics, and the Colecovision games were impressive. Really a shame they went under during the Crash.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ice Trek probably was their only bad game. It was pretty much broken on arrival. Nice graphics but little else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The C64 version has to be the toughest version of DF out there; the bridge sequence has some *impossible* fire sequences.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) zachhargis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zachhargis

I don't have any experience with the CV or 2600 version, but when i was a kid I absolutely loved it on the Intellivision. I think i have a couple of copies of it. Plus I always thought the cartrige was awesome because it wasn't just the black cartridge with the label on the front. It actually had full art over the beautiful black and silver case that made it stand out from the rest also.