Thread: Video Games Live on PBS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Games Live on PBS

RECEIVED a few minutes ago:
    (PS: didn't there used to be a 'submit news' link on the main DP page?)

Subject: Video Games Live on PBS! New info and full segment!

Hi!,

Below is a press announcement that PBS released earlier today. We hope that you can help us spread the word!

PBS also posted one of the full segments from the upcoming special. It's our new duet version of the Civilization IV music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_EWzmvI8E

Thank-you for your kind support.

================================================== =======================

VIDEO GAMES LIVE™
    July-August 2010 (check local listings)

— Special Features Music from Mario™, Zelda™, Sonic™, Halo®, Warcraft®, Chrono Cross®, Castlevania®, Guitar Hero®, God of War™ and Final Fantasy® as Performed by the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra —

In VIDEO GAMES LIVE, a new PBS special, the world’s most beloved video game franchises come together to celebrate gaming culture and the incredible music surrounding it. An immersive event featuring the best game music performed by top-notch musicians and choirs combined with synchronized lighting, video, live action and audience interactivity, this performance was taped at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra. The lineup consists of never-before-televised live musical performances from the Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, God of War, Civilization, Chrono Cross, StarCraft and Guitar Hero franchises, including a musical journey through classic gaming. VIDEO GAMES LIVE is part of special programming airing in July-August 2010 (check local listings) on PBS stations.

“We are introducing a whole new generation to the music of a symphony orchestra,” said veteran video game composer and VIDEO GAMES LIVE CEO/executive producer and host Tommy Tallarico. “Never before in history have kids been dragging their parents to watch a symphony.”

The VIDEO GAMES LIVE CD and DVD/Blu-Ray release will coincide with the nationally televised special and will be available in North America exclusively through PBS until November 1, 2010. The CD features 16 musical performances, and the DVD/Blu-Ray includes more than three hours of bonus material, including additional and extended music segments, composer and game developer interviews, exclusive game trailers, “making the game” documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and composer commentary.

“I’m hoping that this project will have a positive impact on the perception of video games by the non-gaming world,” said Tallarico. “We created VIDEO GAMES LIVE over eight years ago to prove to the world how culturally significant and artistic video games have become. The goal was to create a show for everyone whether they play games or not. The fact that all of the game publishers have come on board with this project to help our mission says a lot about the future of gaming and how much they believe in VIDEO GAMES LIVE.”

Filmed in New Orleans this past April in high definition with 5.1 audio surround sound, the concert features the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by VGL’s co-founder, Jack Wall; a 34-person chorus; a number of soloists including pianist Martin Leung, flautist Laura Intravia and singers Vangie Gunn, Kendrew Heriveaux, Ron Ragin and Cindy Shapiro; plus a rock band featuring Tallarico on guitar; and a full complement of state-of-the-art lighting, lasers and special effects.

There are also interview bites with actress and video game fan Jamie Lee Curtis and video game composers including Tallarico, Jack Wall, Russell Brower, Christopher Tin and Gerard Marino.

The video game music performed includes:

• Super Mario Bros.™
    • The Legend of Zelda™
    • Sonic the Hedgehog™
    • World of Warcraft®
    • StarCraft® II
    • Halo®
    • Final Fantasy®
    • Chrono Cross®
    • Castlevania®
    • God of War™
    • Civilization IV®
    • Classic Arcade Medley
    • Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith

PBS special programming invites viewers to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; hear diverse viewpoints; and take front-row seats to world-class drama and performances. Viewer contributions are an important source of funding, making PBS programs possible. PBS and public television stations offer all Americans from every walk of life the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content.

For Video Games Live images visit PBS PressRoom at http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/vi...s_live/gallery.

Don’t miss selected PBS programs streaming free online, the day after broadcast, on the PBS Video Portal (pbs.org/video/).

Underwriters: Public Television Viewers and PBS
    Producers: Tommy Tallarico/Mystical Stone Entertainment, LLC in association with William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
    Executive producer: Jeff Rowland
    Director: Allen Newman
    Program Producer: Tom Case
    Format: CC 5.1 Surround Sound HD

– PBS –

PRESS CONTACT:
    For PBS: Cara White, CaraMar Publicity, 843-881-1480; cara.white@mac.com
    Mary Lugo, CaraMar Publicity, 770-623-8190, lugo@negia.net
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is awesome! I still get people saying video games are not art, and video games are not relevant in our culture like books, movies, and music. Hope this further brings video games the respect they deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Cant wait to hear the halo music get played, it can be so amazing.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post

The video game music performed includes:

• Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith
    Really? I like all of the other video game music choices, but this? Is the music from Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith any different from the actual Aerosmith music?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

The WoW music is gonna be epic, it better be from old wow seeing that this new shit sucks
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They aired this in this area a couple weeks back. In the Guitar Hero segment they had a kid (who won a GH competition they held) play on Guitar Hero along with a live band playing the actual song.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet Video Games Live on TV. I'm gonna have to try and catch that! I am still waiting for the word on when they are coming to Vegas!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Tommy Tallarico has been doing game music for years, and has been doing this concert series for a couple years now. FYI he is Steven Tyler's brother.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't get the schedule search app to work, just says 'loading...' Maybe my browser?

If anyone gets search to work could you post Boston, MA dates/times? WGBH 2. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    Got the opportunity to see VGL! in person. The Halo music is incredible, especially when they break out the electric guitars. My personal favorite was Brothers in Arms... the voice that comes out of that young girl is absolutely unbelievable. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor several times.

I have never seen a crowd go so freaking wild as when they started playing One Winged Angel, however.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) bohproper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

right? what did steven tyler ever do for video games...that generation x game was fun tho :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    Really? I like all of the other video game music choices, but this? Is the music from Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith any different from the actual Aerosmith music?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Tommy Tallarico has been doing game music for years, and has been doing this concert series for a couple years now. FYI he is Steven Tyler's brother.
    Cousin. At least, according to wikis
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was unable to find a listing for this on either of the PBS stations I'm aware of in Northern NJ. I did some digging though, and found out the program will be aired on WLIW21 on Saturday, 8/14 at 1:30 p.m. & Sunday, 8/15 at 9:30 p.m.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you ever get the chance to see this show live..go! I went a few years back during Gen-Con. My husband bought us tickets to go again this year in Aug during Gen-Con. They had two people compete in Frogger on stage while the orchestra did the music. It was very entertaining. The music is just incredible and moving.

The funniest part of the show is when they had everyone turn on their DS and PSP instead of using lighters. They said they would wait a little longer for the PSP's to come on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So I happened to catch this last night on local KOCE at 7pm. It was 1 1/2 hours long, but the 1/2 was a pledge drive. I missed the first 15 minutes but tuned in just in time to catch a Sonic the Hedgehog medley. Tommy Tallarico seriously hams it up on guitar the whole time, but there was just something novel about seeing anything video game related on a public broadcast station. Somehow legitimizes games more.. Martin Leung (the video game pianist) was also on hand to play some mario tunes.

Overall, a good mix of old and new games, symphonic and guitar sounds. Loved the Chrono Cross performance. Supposedly the Blu-Ray/DVD contains 2 additional hours of footage.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it will contain the same 'Pledge Drive' footage where you all are, but if it does, here's a fun drinking game: Everytime Tommy T. says "you know" during his interview, take a shot.

Actually don't. You will be dead from alcohol poisioning after the second Pledge Break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    Yes it can be and the first game did a perfect job at performing the right notes at the right moments, hence why I still only like the first Halo as it was/is still a masterpiece imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    If you ever get the chance to see this show live..go! It was very entertaining. The music is just incredible and moving.
    The missus and I saw the show when the tour came to Minneapolis earlier this year at Orchestra Hall. Well worth the money. She went to humor me but had a good time also. It was probably one of the most diverse crowds for any concert I've ever been to. Plenty of chicks!!
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould