Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holes drilled into jewel cases

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Holes drilled into jewel cases

I bought a box of PS1 games, and several of them have a hole drilled into the top left corner of the jewel case. It's a small clean hole all the way through. What was the purpose of this? Did the store drill the hole or were they drilled in the factory?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

They were promo or copies that were reported destroyed.

Then they were sold by bad people.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    They were promo or copies that were reported destroyed.

Then they were sold by bad people.
    Are the holes drilled through the barcode on the back insert? If so, I'd definitely agree w/skaar. If not, well.....I'd probably agree anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won a contest several years ago that entitled me to free PS2 games and accessories for a year. Each game I received also had a hole punched(not drilled) thru the barcode on the back of the game case. As these games were still factory sealed, the reason they did this was to prevent me(and others) from trying to take these games to a store and trying to get a refund or store credit for them. And thats probably why yours have the same holes in them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How big are the holes? I'm going to guess that some person had an odd fetish.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    How big are the holes? I'm going to guess that some person had an odd fetish.
    Or a very tiny dick.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They've been doing this forever. If anyone is into records, they've seen a lot of punched holes usually through the top of the corner. I've seen them on jewel cases also, but it's the first i've heard of them on a game. Sometimes it's not a hole, but a slit like someone took it to the edge of a grinder.

I've seen them used on discounted items, promos, and non-returnable stuff. It usually means for whatever reason, this item shouldn't be traded, returned or whatever.
    Last edited by bend; 07-18-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They also did this with games that were value bundled.
    Remember seeing "value" games clamshell packed with a 3rd party memory card (usually) and sold at bargain stores for $19.99 or whatever? They punched those as well, so that they couldn't be sold by retailers separately from the bundles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Quote Originally Posted by bend View Post
    They've been doing this forever. If anyone is into records, they've seen a lot of punched holes usually through the top of the corner. I've seen them on jewel cases also, but it's the first i've heard of them on a game. Sometimes it's not a hole, but a slit like someone took it to the edge of a grinder.

I've seen them used on discounted items, promos, and non-returnable stuff. It usually means for whatever reason, this item shouldn't be traded, returned or whatever.
    This is more what I have heard. I see it on music cds all the time. It is very common for the barcode to be hole punched, however a little rare for the actual jewel case to be punched. A common reason to do it is all cds with a punch are on sale or clearance.
    Autobots. Roll out.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    This is more what I have heard. I see it on music cds all the time. It is very common for the barcode to be hole punched, however a little rare for the actual jewel case to be punched. A common reason to do it is all cds with a punch are on sale or clearance.
    I actually have a ton of CD cases with a hole clean through the entire case and artwork.

I've been replacing them bit by bit. I was dumb in my early flea market hunting days. Not that I'm any better now, but.

I once bought a sealed Final Fantasy VII black label that had a hole through it... I couldn't sell it for that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've bought music CDs that had the cases sliced with a notch on the end. And some with a little hole drilled through the case and into the barcode. I'd almost have to say it was common.

I've drilled holes into jewel cases myself. Notches, actually. That's how I used to store my Atari Lynx games. I bought heaps of new jewel cases, removed the interior tray that the CD sits in, use a Dremel to cut a notch for the curved lip of the Lynx cartridges, and use a pair of pliers to break off the center hub. I'd then get a thin layer of foam, cut a CD shape out of it with a rectangular hole in the center for the cartridge, and glue it inside. Scan in the box front and back and print out case inserts, and you've got yourself an attractive way to store Lynx games in CD racks without putting wear and tear on the original boxes by storing games inside them.

I haven't done that with Lynx games in a long while. I just keep them all inside my storage bag.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few CDs with cutouts, but they don't really bother me. It's usually stuff that I bought used at FYE.

Most recently, the copy of .hack//MUTATION I acquired on eBay had the UPC punched out. It was a circular hole, bigger than a normal hole punch. Again, doesn't really bother me because I'm not interested in reselling it.

The crappy trance mix albums, however, I can't get rid of. I bought a box-set of several DJ mixes when I was young and hadn't found my musical niche. When I opened it up and took the cases out of the box, I noticed that they had holes punched through the UPCs. This was a new, shrinkwrapped boxset. When I tried to trade them to FYE about a year ago, they told me they never should have been sold in the first place. Funny, because I bought them there.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

I have a old copy of Kraftwerk's Autobahn album with the corner cut off. It was from the pre barcode days.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Its so smart reseller stores (the exchange and stuff) know that the item you are trading was some freebie bullshit you got, and they usually wont take it.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The copy of Steel Reign (PS1) that I'm selling here has a hole punched through the top left side. Yeah, I'm a bad mans!

When I worked in the 9th circle of he-- err, EB Games, we'd receive free games from various companies for vaguely retarded reasons and they would always come with the UPC punched out. My manager used to scare us with campfire tales about how the game companies could 'track' these free games that were bestowed upon us and if we were ever caught selling them to some resale shop, we would lose our jobs In fact, I still have my free copy of Downhill Domination with the trademark glory hole in it. I would never sell it though; it's actually an awesome game.
    Last edited by Smashed Brother; 07-19-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some PS1 games with a notch cut in them rather than a hole. Don't know if that means anything. By a notch I mean it was cut straight through the back part (manuals and front of jewel case are intact) about a 1/4 inch deep on a table/band saw or something like that.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-19-2010 at 07:12 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I have some PS1 games with a notch cut in them rather than a hole. Don't know if that means anything. By a notch I mean it was cut straight through the back part (manuals and front of jewel case are intact) about a 1/4 inch deep on a table/band saw or something like that.
    same thing. different tool.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I won a contest several years ago that entitled me to free PS2 games and accessories for a year. Each game I received also had a hole punched(not drilled) thru the barcode on the back of the game case. As these games were still factory sealed, the reason they did this was to prevent me(and others) from trying to take these games to a store and trying to get a refund or store credit for them. And thats probably why yours have the same holes in them.
    Yeah, I used to do video game reviews for a local newspaper years ago, and Sony does this to every game they send out. Others such as THQ and Lucasarts don't bother to hole punch.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

I hate when they cut the notches into record sleeves, it really destroys a lot of the value and makes them look bad.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    same thing. different tool.
    As expected, just wasn't certain. Carry on!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives