Thread: Snes red tint

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Snes red tint

Hello all.

Having trouble with my snes it is coming up with an annoying red tint on everything. ive cleaned everything as previous posts have suggested and tried it on different tvs (they are older models too) and changed the av cables also.

anyone else hit this problem at all!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meshuggah_mule View Post
    Hello all.

Having trouble with my snes it is coming up with an annoying red tint on everything. ive cleaned everything as previous posts have suggested and tried it on different tvs (they are older models too) and changed the av cables also.

anyone else hit this problem at all!
    I'm just wondering if you have a bad RF Box or if you have a newer model (cracked solder joints on the AV Jack)? You might want to suck up the cracked solder joints and put some new flux bearing solder on. Thank you and have a nice day.

P.S. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im hopeless with these things, can u explain in detail what i should do.

cheers

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in saying that im using an av. i've cleaned everything and really dont want to open it but if i have to i will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a tough one man. You can open it up if you wish and take a look, see if there is anything obvious. You probably won't notice anything obvious. Not sure if re-soldering the A/V output port points would do much for ya really, but I guess you can give it a try. Something could be wrong with the video driver/IC. Hard to tell. Take a picture for us what the screen looks like, that would be a good start.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P1010051.jpg

this is a picture of whats happening. so its the red/ orange over the super mario title.

seems not to be over the whites when i look at it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have red & blue, but somewhere you've lost green. My first inclination would be to check the RGB encoder. It's component level troubleshooting at this point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, so how do i start, as i said im hopeless with all the electrical part of it, can someone post a photo or something? i just purchased a nintendo screwdriver to open her up too so its a tad easier!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't green and the other two colors there since it can display white? I thought you need all three colors working to create white since it's additive colors when it comes to light.

It's tough to say what it could be. I'm wondering if one or two of the electrolytic caps in the system is going bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEgamer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't green and the other two colors there since it can display white?
    There is no pure white in that picture. This looks exactly like when you lose a green circuit in a CRT.

After looking at the schematics, I doubt it's a cap issue. Only way to know is to open it and scope or voltage check the neighborhood of the RGB encoder. Green comes from the PPU, runs through a couple of transistors, and then splits off between the "RGB PROCESSOR" and the G pin on the a/v connector.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, ok. I think I had it backwards where the electrolytics are on the outputs of the RGB encoder for the composite video, etc. instead of the RGB signals going into the chip. I was also suggesting it since a cap would be a lot easier to replace. Thanks FABombjoy for clearing that up.

Best of luck to you meshuggah_mule on fixing it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've got a mate to look at it (as i am hopeless with all the electrical parts of it) and here is what he said.. any help will be great!

The fault keeps changing slightly, and I can't find w...hat triggers or causes it, the colours flicker when they want to.

It's happening on the blue and green signals only, the red seems fine. The circuit diagram i have doesn't fully match the EU/AU SNES so it makes tracing it back a bit tricky. The colour signals going to the input of RGB processor are flickering, so it's not the RGB processor at fault. By flickering I mean that the signals vary in voltage level when viewed on an oscilloscope. The power supply is stable, so it's also not that. The signal going to the transistor buffers/amps from the PPU i'm pretty sure are also flickering, though without an accurate circuit diagram I can't be 100% sure this is the case. This may (or may not...) be useful info to the blokes on that forum. Might be worth asking if they know of any other circuit diagrams or where else to look for info. Nintendo made it difficult to trace out as they painted the board so you can't see the traces on it... Tricksy bastards

any help will be amazing!

Cheers

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm the guy that meshuggah_mule mentioned was looking at his SNES to try solve this flickering colour issue. Anybody have any tips for me? Meshuggah_mule is having SNES withdrawals, and I'm not any closer to figuring it out