Thread: Arcade Auction in Mesquite, TX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Arcade Auction in Mesquite, TX

Anyone know when the next arcade/amusement machine auction will be in Mesquite? I finally have a game room big enough to get a coin-op or two (and maybe a pinball machine).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that there should be a decent one coming up on August 15. Wish I could make it to that one, but I'm set to move the next day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dstone View Post
    I've heard that there should be a decent one coming up on August 15. Wish I could make it to that one, but I'm set to move the next day.
    Is there somewhere online I can find more information? I can't find their website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe it's www.superauctions.com, but their site won't say much. What are you wanting to know?
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I believe it's www.superauctions.com, but their site won't say much. What are you wanting to know?
    The time, directions, address, etc. I've never been, but I've heard about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless they have changed the times, preview starts at 8:00 and the auction itself usually starts at 10:00 - 10:30. Be there early if you want to get in on the "first row" of games which are usually the multi machines and good classics. They will do a few hours or games, then switch to pins usually around lunchtime. After pins, they normally move on to redemption crap and the big sit down games. They will finally work their way back around to the rest of the games at some point in the middle of the afternoon and it can run well into the morning.

I believe they are still doing them at the Rodeo Center in Mesquite, so straight out 635 to the east and it's the Military Parkway exit. Go straight through the light and the road will kinda peel off to the right. You'll see the Rodeo Center at the top of a hill to the right. Easy to find.

If you want to try games before you buy, you will have to bring your own extension cord and it's a good idea to have a power strip as well. You will only be allowed to try games from 8:00 to 10:00. Once the auction starts, they try to keep them turned off. They will power them up as they are about to auction them though.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

I might try to hit that one as well. It's been years since I've attended one, but back in the mid-90's I bought a Robotron and a Stargate from them and they were great. Unfortunately, I had to sell them both and I'm STILL pissed that I sold my Robotron - I had completely restored it and I knew at the time that I wanted to keep it, but mine wasn't the only opinion to be had.....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Word of warning, the talk I've heard of the years is Super Auctions allow shill bidding to occur (because it helps their bottom line as well). Just be on guard and don't go crazy overbidding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Word of warning, the talk I've heard of the years is Super Auctions allow shill bidding to occur (because it helps their bottom line as well). Just be on guard and don't go crazy overbidding.
    i wouldn't call it shill bidding so much as non-bidding. The auctioneer just starts pointing and jumping the price up, yet no one has a hand up?!? I noticed this years ago but it would stop when they got to $200 or so. I don't think they wanted anything going for less than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    i wouldn't call it shill bidding so much as non-bidding. The auctioneer just starts pointing and jumping the price up, yet no one has a hand up?!? I noticed this years ago but it would stop when they got to $200 or so. I don't think they wanted anything going for less than that.
    It's how they do reserves. You can do them two ways:
    1- the auctioneer knows what the reserve is, so he will blindly raise the bids like someone is bidding to get it to the reserve and then see if anyone is interested (this is actually common in auction houses)
    2- The owner of the game can bid on his own game to get the price to what he wants to sell for. This is just something you have to accept that SuperAuctions allows. If the owner wins his own game, it's called a 'buy back' and he isn't charged any fees for trying to sell it.

That's just how SA works, and always has. I've been attending their auctions for over 10 years, and have attended several of their Entertainment Memorabilia auctions in Los Angeles, and they do the same thing there.

As for the schedule, here's the link you want:
    http://superauctions.com/Entertainme...nCalendar.html

Mesquite, TX on August 14th and Oct 2nd
    Located at the Hampton hotel near the Rodeo Arena.
    http://www.mesquitehampton.com/home.aspx

August 15th has a 'Live On-Site Family Entertainment Center Private Auction' scheduled in Texas. Doesn't have more information yet, but I gather it will be at the entertainment center that's being sold off...

Rik