Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Street Fighter X Tekken / Tekken X Street Fighter (Updated!)

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Capcom admits DLC is on disc:

http://www.kotaku.com/5890630/capcom...ity-file-size?
    By including these 12 characters on the disc, the idea was to ensure easy compatibility between players who do and do not choose to download the characters when they arrive as DLC. For example, not buying costumes in the Street Fighter IV series means you will not see the costumes when playing another person who did buy them; on-disc characters avoid this issue and allow everyone to participate in the update without additional patches or hiccups. The update also saves on file size - instead of a massive download, there will be a much smaller unlock that brings the new content to the surface.

This move also furthers our desire to avoid a "Super" version of the game down the road. Everything you need to enjoy this game for months (and years) to come will be accessed by the retail disc available this week. When the DLC update does come, it will inject new life and excitement into the game by unleashing 12 new fighters into the wild.
    Bear in mind, it never says they'll charge for these characters, but I think we would all be in agreement that given their past and current history, there will likely be a price tag attached. Not purchasing regardless of whether or not they are priced or not now. I'm tired of this BS.
    Last edited by Gamereviewgod; 03-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Wow, their PR spin on having a whopping 12 characters on the disk are some of the greatest examples of corporate excuse trite I've ever seen.

Low file size? Thanks for optimizing this is for players rocking 56k and having a 64m memory 360 memory card. Lord knows I hate those huge game updates since they're obviously required every single time you connect to go online. It's not like we live in a world where you download them once and your done.

The whole notion of "everything being on the disk" yet requiring DLC updates to work is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

And I know Capcom (or most everybody) couldn't give a shit less, but having 12 characters as DLC pretty much eliminates those 12 from being used in tournaments.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

And I know Capcom (or most everybody) couldn't give a shit less, but having 12 characters as DLC pretty much eliminates those 12 from being used in tournaments.
    Well, THAT'S wildly untrue. It makes it a pain in the ass, but its still not as bad as unlocking everything in MVC 2 on Dreamcast. Players gonna play.

The character situation is frustrating for sure, and so are the gem packs. Unfortunately, the game is the best fighter Capcom's put out since Third Strike, so I can't get properly worked up about it. There's no overpowering comeback mechanic, the gems add a little bit of an edge without breaking the flow of the game, getting caught in a bad decision can REALLY hurt you, there's excellent character variety, and it has all the great replay channel stuff that they designed during the billion versions of SFIV.

Fighting games are my jam, though, so I'm willing to put up with a lot of garbage to play a game I like. That's just me, though.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 03-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Well, THAT'S wildly untrue.
    Which game & what paid DLC characters are used in tournaments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Which game & what paid DLC characters are used in tournaments?
    Jill and Shuma weren't banned for Vanilla Marvel, the DLC characters in MK9 are open game since Final Round and are ok for Evo this year(and were only off limits last year at Evo due to time constraints, see below), and Makoto, Valkynhane, and Platinum were DLC only in BlazBlue CSII and they were playable in majors from the get go. Console exclusives tend to get banned because not everyone has both consoles: ie, Kratos in MK9.

The biggest factor is simply time. If the DLC characters hit a week before a tournament, they might make the call that those characters are out of bounds, but that rarely happens: MK9 is the only example, and there were also some weird.issues with constant patching and so on. I imagine that the 12 DLC characters will unlock either right before or right after Evo this year. If its a month or more before, I'll bet money they're fair game. Remember that Evolution ran AE last year despite Americans only having the game for a couple months.

So here's the thing: I get why people are upset with on disc DLC, and I'm not happy about it either, but I have friends that buy a new Call of Duty every year, along with every map pack, the Elite membership, etc. I play fighting games competitively. I put in twenty hours a week, and run/play in tournaments every week too. I'm going to get my value out of the game and its expansion characters and gems. And if the scene dies out? Well, there's always SFIV, Persona 4 Fighter and Melty Blood.

Bottom line: not everyone is going to see the value in DLC characters for fighting games, and it makes my life harder too: beyond the extra cash, getting the DLC to run on five consoles every week sucks. But I'm going to suck it up and deal, because Capcom finally made a big boy game this generation and I love Street Fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I'm a sucker for fighting games, but the 12 DLC characters within the disc is pretty lame. But of course, it doesn't stop me from playing the game. Capcom is pretty lame about this stuff though. My biggest gripe with Capcom is concerning SSFIV AE. Here's how I view it: SSFIV was pretty damn balanced IMO...arguably the most balanced out of the SFIV series, then AE shows up a couple months before Evo. AE was known to be quite dominated by Yun and Fei, and some characters like Ryu were nerfed hard. Evo rolls around and Fuudo, a Japanese Fei player, takes the tourny. At the same damn event, Ono announced they were patching the game, and AE 2012 came out late last year.

I think it's a shame that they couldn't playtest the game correctly before the biggest tournament of the year. I'm not a Ryu user, but I feel bad for someone like Alex Valle who has always used the character, and Capcom gives him the worst SFIV iteration of Ryu for Evo only to change him back to how he should be later in the year.

But aside from Capcom's questionable methods, how are you guys liking SFxT? I really like the game; it's pretty footsie heavy. I absolutely love my Cammy/Nina team that I've been excited to use since this game was announced. Nina hits like a truck, and Cammy's stand jab and ability to it confirm into ABC Launcher is phenomenal. Grapplers give my team the biggest trouble, but it's still a matter of getting used to people's moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Anyone else excited for the bizarre Mega Man 1 box cover depiction as a playable character? Or Pac-Man for that matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    I'm a sucker for fighting games, but the 12 DLC characters within the disc is pretty lame. But of course, it doesn't stop me from playing the game. Capcom is pretty lame about this stuff though. My biggest gripe with Capcom is concerning SSFIV AE. Here's how I view it: SSFIV was pretty damn balanced IMO...arguably the most balanced out of the SFIV series, then AE shows up a couple months before Evo. AE was known to be quite dominated by Yun and Fei, and some characters like Ryu were nerfed hard. Evo rolls around and Fuudo, a Japanese Fei player, takes the tourny. At the same damn event, Ono announced they were patching the game, and AE 2012 came out late last year.

I think it's a shame that they couldn't playtest the game correctly before the biggest tournament of the year. I'm not a Ryu user, but I feel bad for someone like Alex Valle who has always used the character, and Capcom gives him the worst SFIV iteration of Ryu for Evo only to change him back to how he should be later in the year.

But aside from Capcom's questionable methods, how are you guys liking SFxT? I really like the game; it's pretty footsie heavy. I absolutely love my Cammy/Nina team that I've been excited to use since this game was announced. Nina hits like a truck, and Cammy's stand jab and ability to it confirm into ABC Launcher is phenomenal. Grapplers give my team the biggest trouble, but it's still a matter of getting used to people's moves.
    I honestly think its the best fighting game Capcom has released since Third Strike. It's astonishingly good, and as much as I love Rolento and Hugo, what they did to translate the Tekken characters to 2D is brilliant and I'm having way too much fun with Raven and Heihatchi. Gems are dumb, but we've been running without them anyway since that's tournament standard.

Once Blanka comes out for real though, its all Rolento Blanka. Team Rolls Around-the-clock.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a turn off knowing that there is content on the disc. One feels fleeced and robbed. We use to love unlockables like in Nba street 2. I promised myself last time Unless i get it chap at gamefly I will wait for a updated goty whatever edition. They have just been to blatently cheap.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I honestly think its the best fighting game Capcom has released since Third Strike. It's astonishingly good, and as much as I love Rolento and Hugo, what they did to translate the Tekken characters to 2D is brilliant and I'm having way too much fun with Raven and Heihatchi. Gems are dumb, but we've been running without them anyway since that's tournament standard.

Once Blanka comes out for real though, its all Rolento Blanka. Team Rolls Around-the-clock.
    I agree for the most part; I do love how they presented this game. I didn't think the Tekken characters would translate too well, but Capcom really did do an excellent job with them.

I don't mind the gems being tournament banned due to the fact they would take forever to setup. Although if Capcom's tournament patch enabled a way for them to be easily accessed through USB or whatnot, I would be perfectly fine with that. I really like the dimension they add to the game. But like I said, it's not too big of a deal to me; I'm fine both ways. The game is too good not to play.