Thread: N64 controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N64 controllers

I recently purchased 35 "broken" controllers from a seller on ebay, and was wondering if there was a way to repair the analog stick without buying a new analog stick. He said the majority (25) are good except for extremely loose analog sticks, and was hoping there was a better (less expensive) way of repairing them.

Also, are there any other common problems with N64 controllers? He said the other controllers are either missing parts (pretty big problem), or just don't function when plugged in. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I have heard of a method using glue and graphite to fix the sticks.

I have no idea how it is done, a local game store round here used to do it (they sold the controllers for like $18 but guaranteed them for a long time).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Upon cracking the controller open, what you want to do is find the two pieces of plastic the stick sits in; one horizontal and one vertical, and restore their initial shape (with something like superglue), as much of the two pieces will have been ground into plastic dust. It will make more sense when you see it for yourself, it's hard to explain. I'm thinking that I might have to post up a tutorial myself because there aren't any particularly good ones online. If all else fails, simply empty the plastic dust from the controller and lubricate the stick to limit future damage.
    There are still some great games that can use the D-pad only (Mischief Makers comes to mind)!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnforcerOfJustice View Post
    Upon cracking the controller open, what you want to do is find the two pieces of plastic the stick sits in; one horizontal and one vertical, and restore their initial shape (with something like superglue), as much of the two pieces will have been ground into plastic dust. It will make more sense when you see it for yourself, it's hard to explain. I'm thinking that I might have to post up a tutorial myself because there aren't any particularly good ones online. If all else fails, simply empty the plastic dust from the controller and lubricate the stick to limit future damage.
    There are still some great games that can use the D-pad only (Mischief Makers comes to mind)!
    Mischief Makers FTW,they need to put it on virtual console, or make a sequel at least. As for N64 controller common problems, the memory card/accessory slot can get really dirty and not work anymore.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try this guide and see if it is of any help.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SuperOstrich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just about to post a similar topic, as I recently found a complete N64 at a thrift store for $8.

After ripping apart a controller with a loose stick, I was thinking that nail polish might work on the two black rails that have worn out. Going to try it out this weekend, will post results.

I've decided that for any good condition controllers I find, I'm going to use a moly based lube to hopefully prevent premature wear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I'm getting the controllers today, and will be sure to try to fix as many as I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the package this afternoon, and just got a chance to dive into all the controllers and 22 of them work great. Many have loose analog sticks, but I've used ones that were a lot worse. The other 13 are fine, but they most of them are missing analog sticks and a couple are great except they have no cords (that sucks). I got an Extreme Green controller without the analog, so I hope to mix and match some of the other controllers I got.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    I got the package this afternoon, and just got a chance to dive into all the controllers and 22 of them work great. Many have loose analog sticks, but I've used ones that were a lot worse. The other 13 are fine, but they most of them are missing analog sticks and a couple are great except they have no cords (that sucks). I got an Extreme Green controller without the analog, so I hope to mix and match some of the other controllers I got.
    Here is a link to a supplier for NEW aftermarket replacement thumbsticks. This is HUGE. I have mine on order.

http://www.bresoftware.com/wholesale...nt/view/251/1/

Big deal at E3 this year I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamecraze View Post
    Here is a link to a supplier for NEW aftermarket replacement thumbsticks. This is HUGE. I have mine on order.

http://www.bresoftware.com/wholesale...nt/view/251/1/

Big deal at E3 this year I guess.
    Thanks for the link. How many did you order? I might have to do this, but I would need around 10, and that would hurt my wallet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    Thanks for the link. How many did you order? I might have to do this, but I would need around 10, and that would hurt my wallet.
    I think the minimum you can buy at that site is 10, and that's what I ordered. I know I saw a site (vpgames I think) that was offering them for sale individually. I'm sure they will become easier to find once word gets out.