Thread: Ebay Problem...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ebay Problem...

I figured this is probably the best place to ask about this. I seem to have run into a problem with a buyer where the auction ended on 6/22/10 and they just told me now (7/29/10) that they hooked the system up and it doesn't work. The system is an N64 by the way and I tested it thoroughly before I listed it as I would never list something that is broken. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to rectify the issue? I figured this would be the best place to ask since some of you do the whole eBay thing and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have them clean the game contacts with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a listed return policy where a buyer can return the item within five days upon receipt of item. If the item is damaged or not as described (this is rare), I'll give a full refund, no questions asked, after it's sent back to me. If the buyer just has remorse or can't use the item (doesn't fit, no longer needs it), I charge a 50% restocking fee for wasting my time. There's absolutely no way I'd accept any return six weeks later, for any reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right, that's what has me so perplexed is the fact that they waited until now to use it. Granted it was shipped parcel post, but it did not take almost 6 weeks to get there. I just checked the tracking number and it has been there since June 28th. I feel bad somewhat because they aren't able to enjoy it, but I also don't want to refund them their money because it has been over a month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by cowmando6 View Post
    I feel bad somewhat because they aren't able to enjoy it, but I also don't want to refund them their money because it has been over a month.
    It could also be buyers remorse.

When was the item paid for (not when the listing ended)?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Right, that's what has me so perplexed is the fact that they waited until now to use it. Granted it was shipped parcel post, but it did not take almost 6 weeks to get there. I just checked the tracking number and it has been there since June 28th. I feel bad somewhat because they aren't able to enjoy it, but I also don't want to refund them their money because it has been over a month.
    He's lying to you to get a refund. I give my buyers 30 days to return their shit. Most people only give 7. I don't remember what the paypal/ebay item dispute deadline is but I'm pretty sure he passed it.

You can opt to give him a refund, but don't refund the shipping.

Fact of the matter is, one of two things happened. Either, A). He's/She's lying cause of buyer's remorse (most likely), B). He/She is a dumbass and left the system outside in the cold mailbox for weeks.

You'll probably get a neg feedback. Just take it. I wouldn't refund the money at this point.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Feel no shame. You have no control over what happens once the buyer gets it. If it works when it leaves your hands and you package it well, you've done everything in your power to ensure the buyer gets a functional system.

Plus, waiting a month? No way.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    He's lying to you to get a refund. I give my buyers 30 days to return their shit. Most people only give 7. I don't remember what the paypal/ebay item dispute deadline is but I'm pretty sure he passed it.

You can opt to give him a refund, but don't refund the shipping.

Fact of the matter is, one of two things happened. Either, A). He's/She's lying cause of buyer's remorse (most likely), B). He/She is a dumbass and left the system outside in the cold mailbox for weeks.

You'll probably get a neg feedback. Just take it. I wouldn't refund the money at this point.
    Exactly. Personally, I wouldn't give him/her a refund. You don't know if they've had it for a month and found a cheaper one, if they took it apart to fix another one, etc. I'll usually let people return working items for a restocking fee but as ryborg said, it's been too long.

By the way, the eBay/PayPal dispute process can only be started within 45 days from the auction end date.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah damn, I'd like to avoid the negative as much as I can since I have 100% feedback right now. But yeah, I've had the feeling he is lying too although we spoke over a few eBay messages last night where I told him what to do to try to remedy the situation. He said he tried a different cable and still got nothing yet the N64 was powered on. Oh and megasdkirby, he paid right after the auction ended. My luck he'll file a Paypal claim and I'll be forced to refund anyways and still get the negative.
    Last edited by cowmando6; 07-30-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    He/She is a dumbass and left the system outside in the cold mailbox for weeks.
    Damn, that's a big mailbox!

Ah damn, I'd like to avoid the negative as much as I can since I have 100% feedback right now.
    Feedback is irrelevant now. Yeah, having 100% looks nice, but you won't lose any buyers if you're at 99.7 or whatever. There are enough lunatics, idiots and children using ebay, it's impossible for a seller to keep their perfect feedback if they sell enough items (ESPECIALLY video game stuff).

My luck he'll file a Paypal claim and I'll be forced to refund anyways and still get the negative.
    Yes, you may get a neg, but it's fairly unlikely he'll complete the Paypal dispute process. He'll have to re-package everything and mail it back to you on his dime with tracking before a refund can be processed. This usually scares away most people for bulky items.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alrighty, I'm just going to tell him then that since he waited so long that I am unable to issue a refund/return. Then I'll see what his tune changes to.