Thread: MD cart crashes, then dies.... but works with a passthru device?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default MD cart crashes, then dies.... but works with a passthru device?

So I pick up a copy of Shin Samurai Spirits: Haohmaru Jigokuhen (Samurai Shodown II) for Mega Drive. Plop it into my Genesis and within about 2 minutes the cart crashes, complete with freezing along with garbage letters and numbers across the top portion of the screen. Strangely enough, the BGM still played.

I reset the console, black screen. Removed the cart, black screen. Cleaned everything, prayed, etc, still a black screen. I even tried the game on my Nomad and got nothing. Out of about 2 dozen tries I managed to get a blue screen on bootup, but other than that, nothing.

So, figuring the cart is garbage anyway, I decide to inspect the PCB. Being a pirate globtop job there are no components to really inspect, but I do check out the traces to make sure nothing has gone haywire.

A brief search yielded no results for a ROM image, so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to dump the cart myself. I slapped it into my Double Pro Fighter and amazingly enough the cartridge was recognized and ROM dumped without hitch! I was able to load it on both my DPF and Everdrive Cart without problems.

So I went back and tried something else, loading and playing from the cartridge with the DPF hooked up, and that worked also!? Then I tried the cart with a Mega Key II adapter (works), a Pro Action Replay 1 & 2 (works), and a Game Genie (doesn't work).

What sort of error would allow the cart to boot when ran through one of those devices but not straight into the console? I realize "lol pirate cart" but there has to be a technical reason behind this strangeness, especially being that the cart worked briefly before it crashed without requiring any additional hardware.
    Last edited by Az; 08-02-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a pirate cart that acts weird like yours. I have a pirate copy of Bare Knuckle 3 that plays perfectly fine in my Genesis but crashes or just plain won't boot up in my Japanese Mega Drive. I wonder if something like the system bios could make these pirated games act weird like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Didn't some MD/Genesis carts have a regional lock-out programmed in them? Maybe your cart is one of them?
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Didn't some MD/Genesis carts have a regional lock-out programmed in them? Maybe your cart is one of them?
    Some of the later carts did have a lock-out on them but since OP's game is a pirate cart it won't have a region lock on it. If the game had a region lock it would have just given you a screen saying that you can't play the game on your regions system. Then if you used a cheat device like a Game-Genie you'd still get the lock-out screen unless you input a code to bypass it. Sounds like the OP's game is just one of those picky pirate carts that acts weird on certain region consoles.