Thread: Point N Click Games Ps1

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backtrax View Post
    I am considering buying Psychic Detective it does look good, i am wondering if its like night trap.

D i have played, yep i hated it too, "laura" "laura" such terrible voice acting,i think you had 4 hours to complete, i completed it but sold it straight away on ebay.
    Psychic Detective isn't really like Night Trap except conceptually. You basically look through other people's eyes to find different parts of the story, but it also means to miss certain things (it unfolds in real time, basically, and you can only watch one thing at a time). There are also changes depending on the way you say things. I dunno it's hard to explain, it's really like no other game I've ever played.

As for D, don't you mean "Low-rah! Low-rah!" And why does she always look around for like half a minute while he shouts at her.

Clock Tower isn't really a game I'd recommend either. I've heard good things about the first game (on the Super Famicom) but the PS1 game is just... ugh. It's very cheesy and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I also don't really think the gameplay works too well. Being a p&c title, you naturally want to explore everywhere, click on everything, etc etc. The game punishes you for doing this by sending "Scissorman" after you. I never found him to be scary so much as annoying. But I'm not a big fan of running away in horror games. I like to be able to fight. (Granted you CAN fight him in certain circumstances but the game is not very intuitive as far as what you can and can't do... at all times. Interactivity is very limited to start with, and when you're being chased, it goes way down. If you like having many ways of solving a puzzle you'll hate Clock Tower.) I guess it's good for a laugh if you're into cheesy Japanese horror. It always seemed like more of a party game than a good horror or p&c title.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lagartija_nick View Post
    Juggernaut is is a very wierd, surreal point and click, witch is why I loved it although critics seemed to have bashed it.
    Juggernaut looks very surreal, may give it a try. Is it anything like D? as i didn't like that game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    I hear the Discworld games for PlayStation are pretty good, funny, et cetera, but they have longish long times and I hear the puzzles can be a bit unobvious and involve pixel-hunting at times. However they do have PlayStation mouse support so that's always a plus particularly if you don't want to use the d-pad.
    Played Discworld 3 but couldn't seem to get in to discworld 1 or 2, it must be just me tho as i know they are great games, I bought parasite eve about 2 years ago haven't played it yet. played the second one years ago and loved it!

Anyone played Parasite eve?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Psychic Detective isn't really like Night Trap except conceptually. You basically look through other people's eyes to find different parts of the story, but it also means to miss certain things (it unfolds in real time, basically, and you can only watch one thing at a time). There are also changes depending on the way you say things. I dunno it's hard to explain, it's really like no other game I've ever played.

As for D, don't you mean "Low-rah! Low-rah!" And why does she always look around for like half a minute while he shouts at her.

Clock Tower isn't really a game I'd recommend either. I've heard good things about the first game (on the Super Famicom) but the PS1 game is just... ugh. It's very cheesy and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I also don't really think the gameplay works too well. Being a p&c title, you naturally want to explore everywhere, click on everything, etc etc. The game punishes you for doing this by sending "Scissorman" after you. I never found him to be scary so much as annoying. But I'm not a big fan of running away in horror games. I like to be able to fight. (Granted you CAN fight him in certain circumstances but the game is not very intuitive as far as what you can and can't do... at all times. Interactivity is very limited to start with, and when you're being chased, it goes way down. If you like having many ways of solving a puzzle you'll hate Clock Tower.) I guess it's good for a laugh if you're into cheesy Japanese horror. It always seemed like more of a party game than a good horror or p&c title.
    I really like Night trap, was so funny! i still have it in my collection.
    Psychic Detective looks really good, check it out on youtube.

"LOW-RAH" I like it how funny!! got to be one of the worst games i have played,

Cheers for input on clock tower, think i will keep away from this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Night trap, was so funny! i still have it in my collection.
    Psychic Detective looks really good, check it out on youtube.

"LOW-RAH" I like it how funny!! got to be one of the worst games i have played,

Cheers for input on clock tower, think i will keep away from this.
    Cheers People for your input so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More votes for Echo Night & Juggernaut. Juggernaut is like a horror version of Myst, EN has some unique sepia toned graphics. Both are worth it.

Theres also Chronicles of the Sword, never played it & havent heard anything good about it.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Juggernaut looks very surreal, may give it a try. Is it anything like D? as i didn't like that game.

I'd say Juggernaught is like Myst on Acid.

Nothing like D. D is one story, but Juggernaught is comprised of many sub stories that tie in together. Very clever in my opinion.

As for D, those 2 rooms are not total time wasters. You need to play those rooms to get the secret ending. Witch ties into the never released/scrapped D2 for the 3D0.

D2 for the Dreamcast was a different game though brillant.
    Last edited by lagartija_nick; 08-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Juggernaught is like Myst on Acid.

Nothing like D. D is one story, but Juggernaught is comprised of many sub stories that tie in together. Very clever in my opinion.

As for D, those 2 rooms are not total time wasters. You need to play those rooms to get the secret ending. Witch ties into the never released/scrapped D2 for the also never released 3DO M2.

Last edited by lagartija_nick; 08-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lagartija_nick View Post
    As for D, those 2 rooms are not total time wasters. You need to play those rooms to get the secret ending. Witch ties into the never released/scrapped D2 for the 3D0.

The rooms I mean are: 1) where you have to keep pulling a lever or something to try to get the numbers on the dial to stop at the right place but they always roll backwards after you stop. Yes, I know, there's a "solution" to this puzzle, but you'll only find it after screwing around for awhile doing this AND that doesn't mean you'll actually be able to land on the correct number even after you figure out how to do it. 2) the room with the wheel that you turn and it makes the room turn. This is completely random. There IS no solution. You just keep doing it until you get the room you want. And then go do what you need to do, and come back, and turn the wheel some more. I think you have to visit this stupid room like three or four times? Unbelievable!

I'll agree tho, D2 is friggin awesome! It's like an adventure/RPG hybrid with action battles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I have played clock tower 3 , but can't seem to get the other two, sometimes they turn on ebay, but so expensive. Is the 1st one good?
    Time for a nerd lesson. The 1st Clock Tower was originally released on the Super Nintendo, but in Japan only. It was later released on the PS1 in celebration of the sequel. That's the game we got; Clock Tower 2. A spin-off subtitled "Ghost Head" was released here as Clock Tower 2.

I highly suggest trying the first two and skipping Ghost Head. The SNES game is better storywise, but the first PS1 game has a bit more to offer in the story department. Neither are scary, just mildly creepy and bizarre.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hiya, i am new to this forum so do excuse me if i am doing this all wrong.

I am really into my point n click games on the ps1, just wanted to know what everyone thinks of these games and if you know of any good ones that maybe out there. I am thinking about buying Ark of time, any good??
    Thanks in advance.
    Anyone played Ark of time? If yes is it anything like broken sword?
    I have just bought Ark of time so i hope its good!
    Last edited by backtrax; 08-05-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"the room with the wheel that you turn and it makes the room turn. This is completely random. There IS no solution. You just keep doing it until you get the room you want. And then go do what you need to do, and come back, and turn the wheel some more"

Thats wrong. There were 10 (IIRC) positions to the wheel/room, you count where you 1st enter as #1. There were exits at certain positions, I dont recall where they were but I absolutely recall having to do it & making a diagram to help. You'd turn the wheel x number of times to get to the exit you needed. I think one led outside to the observatory, one led downstairs to a wooden chest in a pit, & one led upstairs to a stained glass window.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help!! I can't find how to make a new thread!

Hi I have only posted 1 thread before and can't find how to post threads, how do i do it??
    New to this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Clock Tower series is one of my favorites! Clock Tower for the Super Famicom is indeed the best, but the sequels are also awesome. The Playstation games are just ugly and have terrible voice acting. Aside from that, they are amazing, definitely the best horror games ever made. The tension while being chased is off the charts.

Of course, you'll want to play them like watching a horror movie, alone and with the lights out.

Echo Night on the other hand, is very underwhelming. It's a first person adventure that's quite ugly and mostly mediocre otherwise. There's no fun puzzles or horror or action. You just give ghosts items and move on to the next ghost. The storyline is pretty basic and boring. I bought it years ago with high hopes, and it totally disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    "the room with the wheel that you turn and it makes the room turn. This is completely random. There IS no solution. You just keep doing it until you get the room you want. And then go do what you need to do, and come back, and turn the wheel some more"

Thats wrong. There were 10 (IIRC) positions to the wheel/room, you count where you 1st enter as #1. There were exits at certain positions, I dont recall where they were but I absolutely recall having to do it & making a diagram to help. You'd turn the wheel x number of times to get to the exit you needed. I think one led outside to the observatory, one led downstairs to a wooden chest in a pit, & one led upstairs to a stained glass window.
    I never found that to be the case. If so I don't see how I could end up at the same exit several times in a row from just turning the wheel one time. But I have no desire to replay the game and test your theory so I dunno maybe I'm wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any others that anyone can think of?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No games to add I'm afraid, but I wanted to say that this is a really great thread, and I got a couple of suggestions from it. Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming if there are any others.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although it isn't a PS1 game - if you are into point and click games you should read about limbo of the lost. Point and click gone bad.

http://lotl.wikia.com/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost_Wiki

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The Neverhood was also released on the PS1, but only in Japan.
    Titled Klaymen Klaymen

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    No games to add I'm afraid, but I wanted to say that this is a really great thread, and I got a couple of suggestions from it. Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming if there are any others.
    Thankyou. I bought Ark of time last week, i will let you know what its like.