Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Starter" RPGs for veteran gamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "Starter" RPGs for veteran gamer

Please note: veteran doesnt mean hardcore.

That said, what are some good starter RPGs for a veteran gamer re-interested in the genre? I like Diablo-type games & am familiar w/ levleing up/grinding, etc.

I've tried a few in the past (Dragon Warrior, Sword of Vermilion, FF7) but didnt like their time commitments or turn-based combat (& FF7's materia system was too much.) Recently though I got into Guadia Quest on DS Retro Game Challenge & now considering other similar RPGs.

Im thinking not too sophisticated, w/ minimal random battles, something for NES/SMS, or maybe even DS as most of my gaming is mobile now.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-02-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Because you mentioned DS, Dragon Quest 9 is fairly good. Unfortunately it's easy mode in comparison to the rest of the series and while it's a good game, it's got a few qualities that make it one of the worst in the series in my opinion. I'd still recommend it, as even as low in the Dragon Warrior series that it is, it's still a good game.

If you like games like Diablo then you may or may not like Sacred 2. I know BHvrd likes the game, but my best friend who I got to purchase the game hates it. You have a much larger customization about your character than you do most(or all) Diablo clones. You have 15 abilities with six mods (two rows to choose from for each of the three levelsl) that you can choose from to customize those abilities, as well as a fairly large skill customization system to focus on what character build you'd like. Abilities have regeneration time, not MP, and increasing certain skills without increasing the abilities level is what reduces this regeneration time. Characters need to be designed for specific types such as melee or magic, etc, otherwise the character will be worse than a straight melee or straight magic using character. There's a PC demo, so you may want to try that out see if you're interested.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

I'd go with Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Mass Effect 1 or 2 on newest systems. Chrono Trigger is a fairly easy old school RPG to get into. The turn-based combat is fairly minimized, although it's still present. Same goes for Lunar1 and 2 on PS1 to a lesser extent. The Ys games are very playable and aren't too deep.

Fallout 1 and 2 are highly recommended for some old(er) school PC RPGs. Balder's Gate 2 as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

If you don't want random battles in your RPG, you need to be looking somewhere other than NES or SMS. Chrono Trigger for DS is the game I'd reccommend for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the impression Chrono Trigger was more of a hardcore gamer RPG. Is it really a good place to start?

& I mentioned Diablo to show Im somewhat familiar w/ RPG aspects. Im looking for something like Guadia Quest.
    Oh, & nothing current-gen, either.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario RPG on SNES is a perfect "starter" RPG that has very minimal overworld battles. They aren't "random" at all, you can see the creatures on the overworld screen and avoid contact with them if you desire.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Holger Czukay's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay
    PSN
    aigisismywaifu

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I had the impression Chrono Trigger was more of a hardcore gamer RPG. Is it really a good place to start?

& I mentioned Diablo to show Im somewhat familiar w/ RPG aspects. Im looking for something like Guadia Quest.
    Chrono Trigger is definitely not hardcore. There is no grinding at all. It's one of the few games I beat when I was a kid, along with FF4 and FF6, and the aforementioned Mario RPG.

You liked Guadia Quest, play the Dragon Warrior games, because Guadia Quest is a direct homage to 'em. And I know you said nothing current-gen but Persona 3 is pretty awesome, complete with randomly-generated dungeons.

Edit: You might want to look into Roguelikes like Mystery Dungeon or Izuna the Unemployed Ninja on the DS.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Im thinking not too sophisticated, w/ minimal random battles, something for NES/SMS, or maybe even DS as most of my gaming is mobile now.
    DS is current gen. Anyways. If you don't want anything complex with no random battles.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)

There's a lot of bad hype about this game but the only thing bad about this one is that it's bad ass(alright. lame joke.) It's basically designed to be a beginner RPG, but I happened to play it after Dragon Warrior, Dragon Warrior 3, and Final Fantasy and I loved the game. It's not as good as the original FF or Dragon Warrior 3, but it's still a great game.

There are no random battles in the game. Every enemy is in a select spot and remains there until you initiate combat. While they do respawn whenever you leave and reenter a room, you're not really going to be going back through the same enemies often. You don't need to grind. The game also limits you to, I think, level 30, which you won't reach unless you repeatedly grind. You find spells, weapons, and armor in chests or receive them from characters in the game or for completing battle locations on the world map.

The cool thing about the battle system on this game is that different weapons effect different enemies and you can switch weapons at any time, even during battle. Enemies like giant worms or trees are weak against axe strikes, eyes are weak against bombs, etc. The CatClaw and its different incarnations are also weaker but have the chance to inflict many different status effects. You also have your magic from White, Black, and Wizard magic.

Storyline is decent and the music is amazing.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-02-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd suggest Dragon Quest IV and V for the DS. There isn't a ton of grinding in either game and both are good examples of why people love RPGs. Granted there's still a bit of a time commitment, but nothing like FFVII (or DWVII for that matter). I think I beat IV in around 40 hours.

I wouldn't recommend Chrono Trigger, and not just because I hate the game. The big problem for RPG "noobs" is not having enough familiarization with what is expeced of them. Some games just take for granted that you'll explore everywhere. I'll give you an example: Suikoden 3 has a scene that is necessary for the storyline to continue. The only way to find the scene is to go into an alley. If you've played RPGs enough, you know that walking around everywhere and exploring everything usually leads to finding goodies, so for the veteran, triggering this scene is easy. But if you're just casually playing you could wind up spending a LOT of time wandering around wondering what you're supposed to be doing. CT is like that. A lot. I won't go into details b/c you'll probably want to play the game at some point, but there are several things that can stump even a veteran RPGer, because they're not obvious at all. Finding Frog is one of them, but that's all I'll say about it.

Beyond that, here's some other picks:

1) Sakura Wars: So Long My Love (PS2) - This is more of a strategy-RPG, but the good thing is there aren't random battles, there's not a ton of customization, and the fighting can feel pretty fast and satisfying when you're able to set up an attack that damages a ton of enemies onscreen.
    2) Phantasy Star IV (Genesis) - An easy way to play this game is on the 360 Sega compilation disc (name escapes me at the moment). It has an awesome storyline, a ton of things to do, there's even vehicles you can ride that change the gameplay (as opposed to, say, sailing on a boat and just getting into normal random battles). I haven't played this in awhile so I can't say whether it's very grindy or not, but I remember it being a cakewalk, especially compared to PSII.
    3) Crystalis (NES) - One of my favorite Action-RPGs. Has a great storyline, terrific battle engine... just an all-around great game. I wouldn't recommend the GBC version only b/c they changed the ending.
    4) Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance & Champions of Norrath (PS2) - If you like Diablo, these two are the best console Diablo clones out there.

Some other suggestions: Tales of Symphonia (GC), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2), Grandia (PS1) & Grandia II (DC)... these are all 40 hour RPGs (or less in a few cases), which is about half the time most RPGs take.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OP should definitely check out the Dark Alliance games, esp considering they came out on multiple platforms, he shouldn't have a problem running them.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Pokemon series is a simple RPG that's pretty linear and easy,the only "random battles" are when you go in the grass and cave areas against wild Pokemon,otherwise its a pretty straight foward RPG. Heartgold or SoulSilver would be a great starter for the DS.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the capability to run GBA games, the game I'd really recommend for you is Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for GBA. It basically IS a portable version of Diablo, in a Lord of the Rings setting. The Return of the King game is supposed to be similar, but I haven't played it. Note that these are totally different than the home console versions.

Some DS titles that you might want to look at:

Orcs & Elves -- Fairly short (about 6-8 hours I'd say) first person dungeon roaming RPG. More in the style of games like Dungeon Master than JRPGs. Not too difficult, except on the highest setting.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games -- These are basically Rogue in a Pokémon setting. Everything is randomly generated and all action is turn-based with an overhead view. Shiren the Wanderer is a better game IMO, but these are much more forgiving.

Puzzle Quest/Puzzle Quest 2 -- RPGs, but with traditional battle mechanics replaced with Bejeweled-like gem matching. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but these games are worth at least checking out.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your into superheroes, Justice League Heroes (PS2,Xbox) is a beat em up that blends in RPG elements. It has well written story, seven playable characters plus unlockables, and a two player mode. And it's short enough that time commitment should never become a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Quest 64 lol

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know if these count as "starter" RPGs but what got me on the hook were the games I played at my cousin's place: Suikoden and Vandal Hearts for the PS1.

Suikoden is a simple RPG with a GREAT story and great cinematics. In some ways, its like Konami's Pokemon. There are 108 heroes in all and your decisions determines whether you can "catch 'em all." It's a bit strict in the magic and item department as each character can carry certain amount of stuff and spells at a time but it's a memorable time I think you can pick up at PSN.

Vandal Hearts put the strategy in strategy/RPG. Think of it as playing chess except you can move all ur piece at once...but so can the enemy. Every battle has a different objective and that's keeps things very fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) ClubGhost's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best 16-bit era RPG I've ever played is "Beyond Oasis" for Genesis. No random battles and a pretty engaging quest.

Sadly, I was a Sega kid, so I'm not really sure of any "random battle free" NES games. Most of them seem to be in the "Dragon Warrior" mold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok gang, looks like so far Id check out NES Crystalis, SNES FFMQ, & DS DW games. Ive heard good things about Puzzle Quest (not Galactrix?) but was unsure how basic they were.

I guess I didnt say I also hate running around w/ no idea what to do/where to go. To someone w/ very little available gametime, this is the ultimate turnoff.

Oh yeah, Ive played the Baldurs Gate/Champions PS2 games. Love em- in the middle of a Champions game right now, but cant always get back to it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive heard good things about Puzzle Quest (not Galactrix?) but was unsure how basic they were.
    Galactrix was a sci-fi themed game in the series that was generally not well received. The "true" sequel to Puzzle Quest, Puzzle Quest 2, was just recently released. Here's a GiantBomb Quick Look video of PQ2 on the DS:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...est-2/17-2824/

I'd also like to re-iterate my suggestion of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for GBA, as it is very similar to the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath/Return to Arms games.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RJ- Shining Soul 2 for GBA, I swear by it. Action based gameplay, item drops, crafting, multiple classes... I would say it is easily the best action RPG/dungeon crawler on the GBA. Stay away from Shining Soul though, it's cancer, unless you are [i]really[\i] (read: fanatical) into these types of games. It [Shining Soul 2] looks and plays like a Japanese developed 16-bit Diablo clone, 'cause that is pretty much what it is.

This teeters a bit between vet and hardcore... Actually may entail both. But-
    If Wizardry type games are a consideration (though they can be tedious and are almost always turn-based) I can recommend these DS games; Etrian Odyssey series and Dark Spire as games that can entertain for many hours. They are ridiculously fun and engrossing. The tedium is nearly eliminated by the mapping feature and the DS touch screen while still remaining very challenging games to take to completion. Etrian Odyssey 3 is supposed to be released within a few months or so. Dark Spire has a definite edge if you are not into an anime art aesthetic.

Action RPGs on DS. I've played Children of Mana and From the Abyss. They were not great, but decent. Possibly in their best form in multiplayer, but I haven't tried that with either yet.

Baldur's and Champions games are very fun. Multiplayer is a riot.

I don't play many RPG games because, to me, they get dull and repetitive fast and I never get too entrenched into the 'stories'. I do get sucked into one once in a while though. Everything above (except the ActionRPG DS games) gets a big ol' double thumbs up from me, even still.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see Children of Mana DS at Gamestop for $8. Any good?