Thread: Sega Genesis cartridge doesn't work

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis cartridge doesn't work

hi, everyone!
    i have a problem with my sega genesis...well, last week i bought a SONIC 1 cartrigde (the guy told me that the cartridgee is tested and working), so when i happily put it in my console...surprise, it doesn't work...black screen (not even PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE blah blah blah)
    i tried to clean the cartridge contacts with rubbing alcohol, with no results...did the same in the cartridge slot, no results...
    i think something is wrong with the cartridge's circuitry, since my SONIC 2 works fine in the console

could it be that i use a generic power supply to power my genesis?
    could it be that a condenser or resister in the cartridge is faulty?

any help or tip will be appreciated =)

video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCKp9X9ewU

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

Do you have the game bit(4.5mm game bit) to open up the game to get a better look at the board or the contacts on the cartridge. but for the board I don't have any experience with that type of stuff so hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Here's a link of other ways to clean the cartridge contacts http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138010
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you can't revive it but it's in good cosmetic shape, I'd hold on to it.

You might come across one in poor cosmetic shape that works in the future and can transplant it's innards into the non working cartridge.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks! well...i'm not sure if mine it's a gamebit, but i use a gamecube screwdriver that does the job =)
    here it is the cart's pcb:

front:

back:

hope this could give you more info =)
    Last edited by darkshadow1804; 08-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why but I have FOUR Sonic 1 carts and only one of them works. I tried all of them on each one of my Genesis and Nomads, even on a Firecore...

I even tested all the traces with a multimeter, replaced the capacitors, etc., and I still don't know what's the deal with those Sonic 1 carts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG! so it's maybe that the sonic 1 carts are faulty? i mean...i think it's difficult to find a cartridge that is COMPLETELY DEAD (DAMAGED ROM)...
    so i can't figure out even doing the same as you...using a multimeter, testing the capacitor (itīs in good status), same as the resistor (or a diode, idk) but both seems to be working...so...anymore ideas?
    could it be the power supply? i said is a generic one...here's the specs: 9V - 2A...and i know that the genesis needs: 10V - ~0.85A...could it be that?
    Last edited by darkshadow1804; 08-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your power supply should be fine, however, it looks like your cartridge contacts could be cleaner. I have found that with some games you need to go the extra mile with cleaning. For the really stubborn games I use Weiman Cook Top Cleaner being careful not to rub it on the green protective layer. Afterword, I follow up with alcohol to remove any reside left behind.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I strangely have the same problem, I have two Sonic 1 carts, one works, the other doesn't with the same problem mentioned in the first post. It's the same for all my genesis systems. sometimes the licensed by Sega screen comes up some times it doesn't. I don't really care, but I just thought having the same problem was strange
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't know what's the deal with the Sonic 1 carts. I even went and mapped every contact to the ROM chip to aid me in testing the traces:

Every trace was ok, and every capacitor was replaced:

Still no go. Anyway, I finally found a cart that works so I don't care a lot about it but is like having a pebble in your shoe

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm...tried that with the cleaner (a similar one, because here it isn't even known) and alcohol and nothing...

well, in my case ONLY with sonic 1 NEVER shows the PRODUCED BY OR blah blah blah...it's strange because when i put the game...turn on...blank screen, and (without turning it off) i put out the cartridge and put in SONIC 2, press RESET and the words come out and sonic 2 loads (you can't do that with both working games, the console just crashes and you have to power it on again)...
    it's like the console doesn't EVEN recognizes/loads the rom into memory...
    it's very frustrating

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I also have a dead Sonic 1 cart. It's an easy game to find so I haven't tried to fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

had the same problem a few years back i bourght a sonoc 1 cart keept takeing it back to the store they repalced it every singel one was faulty
    must be rom bad i wonder if they can be reflashed
    with a epprom programmer and repair them

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what's the deal with the Sonic 1 carts. I even went and mapped every contact to the ROM chip to aid me in testing the traces:

Every trace was ok, and every capacitor was replaced:

Still no go. Anyway, I finally found a cart that works so I don't care a lot about it but is like having a pebble in your shoe

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well...i didn't get it work anymore...so i bought another one and it works fine!!! the rom must be bad!!(though i'm still keeping it)...thx to all for the help

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    had the same problem a few years back i bourght a sonoc 1 cart keept takeing it back to the store they repalced it every singel one was faulty
    must be rom bad i wonder if they can be reflashed
    with a epprom programmer and repair them
    Commercial Genesis games use mask roms, they are not programmable. Flashing is different than programming an EPROM. There is no such thing as an EPPROM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a Retrode or similar device (or mail the cart to someone who does), comparing byte for byte against a good cart might explain the problem.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow1804 View Post
    hmmm...tried that with the cleaner (a similar one, because here it isn't even known) and alcohol and nothing...

well, in my case ONLY with sonic 1 NEVER shows the PRODUCED BY OR blah blah blah...it's strange because when i put the game...turn on...blank screen, and (without turning it off) i put out the cartridge and put in SONIC 2, press RESET and the words come out and sonic 2 loads (you can't do that with both working games, the console just crashes and you have to power it on again)...
    it's like the console doesn't EVEN recognizes/loads the rom into memory...
    it's very frustrating
    Yep. Sonic and Knuckles doesn't even give you the "No Way" screen and just starts up like nothing is inserted. I think the chip isn't even powering up. If it isn't clear, I have one of these failed Sonic 1 carts too. I tried hitting it with a heat gun but that didn't change anything. I wish I had some of that "cold in a can" stuff to see if that would do anything. The cart looks pristine.

I'm wondering: is it just retail copies doing this? Does anyone have an NFR that behaves the same way? I'm very curious and want to get to the bottom of this.

Edit: OK, I see that the video from earlier was an NFR. I found a website saying that the chips were made by Fujutsu or something but they look just like MOSEL RAM/Flash chips. Because this was Sega's first mega-hit I wonder if they used some kind of FlashROM to reach capacity/meet demand? It's entirely possible that these are custom made in a way that they can't be flashed again but they will still eventually die (never refreshed; killed by cosmic rays and radiation).
    Last edited by CZroe; 01-31-2016 at 07:00 PM.