Im posting a side by side comparison of the two models of the Super Scope, the Japanese version (on the left) and the US version (on the right).

First, not the slight diffrence in color variation between the two. The dark plastic on the grip area and scope on the japanese model is a more true gray color, while the US model has a smokey blue hue to it. also note the diffrences between the two recievers. the japanese model says (Nintendo) SUPER SCOPE, while the US model simply has the SNES logo on it.

Here note the diffrnece in button colors. the japanese super scope has a day-glo orange primary button, with a slightly dark blue-gray secondary button. The US model has a lighter color secondary button with a purple primary fire button.

Finally, notice the diffrence in logo design. In summary the Japanese build seems to me a much more quality design than the US model, with more attention to detail and a cleaner look.

From what I understand the japanese model is rarer than the US model due to it being a limted release in japan due to low demand. If someone could validate/clarify this I would love the input.