Thread: A comparison of Japanese vs. US Super Scope models

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gaara_Of_the_Sand's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A comparison of Japanese vs. US Super Scope models

Im posting a side by side comparison of the two models of the Super Scope, the Japanese version (on the left) and the US version (on the right).

First, not the slight diffrence in color variation between the two. The dark plastic on the grip area and scope on the japanese model is a more true gray color, while the US model has a smokey blue hue to it. also note the diffrences between the two recievers. the japanese model says (Nintendo) SUPER SCOPE, while the US model simply has the SNES logo on it.

Here note the diffrnece in button colors. the japanese super scope has a day-glo orange primary button, with a slightly dark blue-gray secondary button. The US model has a lighter color secondary button with a purple primary fire button.

Finally, notice the diffrence in logo design. In summary the Japanese build seems to me a much more quality design than the US model, with more attention to detail and a cleaner look.

From what I understand the japanese model is rarer than the US model due to it being a limted release in japan due to low demand. If someone could validate/clarify this I would love the input.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw an episode of Gamecenter CX where a super scope was bought brand new for 100 yen at a japanese store. Keeping in mind that this was around the year 2004/2005, I would imagine they are not particularly desirable, I have no idea about production numbers though. I would imagine popularity waned in Japan, as some games, such as Metal Combat: Falcon's revenge, weren't even released over there.

My input aside, you've written a great comparison. Amazing to see such subtle differences in general color and design when they could have shipped the same hardware for both regions and merely printed the SFC and SNES logos differently. If you can source a PAL scope, it would be interesting to see which design nintendo followed (I would imagine the JPN gun, as the console itself was so similar). I always liked how Namco released black Guncons in Japan, with most seeing a more realistic release that was recoloured in other regions to comply with firearm laws.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's so badly designed it hurts me to look at it, no wonder it failed.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    It's so badly designed it hurts me to look at it, no wonder it failed.
    Yeah, it made my shoulder get cramped.

What was so wrong with a typical gun controller?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was designed in (for?) the U.S., resulting in US-style lettering even on a JP peripheral.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are all the US sensors that yellowish color? Or is that the infamous discoloration? I have a Super Scope as well and the sensor is the same color.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gaara_Of_the_Sand's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some discolor, some dont. i havent seen a jp sensor discolor, though.
    I bought mine while i was living in osaka for 10$. The price of retro games in japan is low all around, there really isnt a big collectors market for old games there.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certain design elements on both versions lead me to wonder if the Super Scope was designed primarily for the US SNES.

1. The little wavy fringe around the bottom of the Super Scope TV receiver is the same fringe you find around the bottom of the US SNES (I can't really see from the photo, but I assume the Super Famicom receiver is the same mould)

2. The logo of the Super Scope seems to be based on the US Super Nintendo logo (or PAL)... even for the Super Famicom version.

And also as someone says above, it was much more of a niche release in Japan. Perhaps this was a case of something Nintendo designed for the US market, but still coming back home for a release anyway, like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
    Last edited by BocoDragon; 08-12-2010 at 02:53 AM.