Thread: Gameshark N64 v2.2 Broken- any clue why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Gameshark N64 v2.2 Broken- any clue why?

Just bought a GS v2.2 for the N64, cleaned it, put Super Mario 64 onto it, and turned it on, only to find a blank screen and the GS itself reading #8. Removed it and powered up the N64, and it says #1. Removed the GS, and put in SM64, and it's not my N64 screwing up. I've read about how the GS's flash memory screws up, and I fear that might be the cause.

Any idea how to fix it or am I SOL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It also may be that the GS is still in "Nintendo Mode" - all 1st Party Nintendo Games required you to place any 3rd party game on there, choose the 1st party game codes, and then turn off the system and do a quick swap of carts, and vice versa to change the GS back to 3rd party mode. Research that process, may help...

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds like one of those annoying key code things. Try putting a game like Diddy Kong Racing or Legand of Zelda Occarina of Time. It should boot then from there go to the key codes menu. Press Z for factory default. Turn the system off, remove one of the key games and try Super Mario 64 again.

Ironicly when I was trying to do this myself just now I had the same problem where it kept showing 8 or 1 or half 1. I got it to work after alot of blowing my cart lol. Be sure to clean your game carts contacts cause the GameShark has a really flemsy cart port. Also if it does work the 8 should flash and fade and count down from 4.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing it is the keycode issue as well.

If you have tried adjusting it (like you would do with a game only), but it still doesn't work, then the next likely reason would be the keycode issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, this thing is not a keycode problem- all it gives me is a black screen while the GS has an 8. I tried different carts (OoT, G007, and Castlevania 64) and still no results. Since it appears to be corrupted memory, I might as well throw it out, seeing as there's no one nearby with a v3.3 to reprogram the v2.2's memory with, and I have no access to eBay or Goozex (yet my dad can buy shirts he really doesn't need from King Size for $70+ and I can't buy a GS for $10 or lower ) I'll just wait for an update to Wii64 that improves compatibility and adds GS codelisting, unless I somehow strike it lucky and find a v3.3 at the thrift store. *sigh*, why do the GS Pros on N64 suck so bad?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Well, this thing is not a keycode problem- all it gives me is a black screen while the GS has an 8. I tried different carts (OoT, G007, and Castlevania 64) and still no results. Since it appears to be corrupted memory, I might as well throw it out, seeing as there's no one nearby with a v3.3 to reprogram the v2.2's memory with, and I have no access to eBay or Goozex (yet my dad can buy shirts he really doesn't need from King Size for $70+ and I can't buy a GS for $10 or lower ) I'll just wait for an update to Wii64 that improves compatibility and adds GS codelisting, unless I somehow strike it lucky and find a v3.3 at the thrift store. *sigh*, why do the GS Pros on N64 suck so bad?
    Gez that sucks. I remember a GameShark I had fried because I turned on 101 codes at once, I was a kid and didn't read the instructions very well lol. I'm trying to think how I or my friend fixed it because,it actually came back to life one day,some kind of factory reset method I recall. Ask for why they suck, pretty much they built them poorly and we forked over $29.99 when they were new. Makes me wonder if the Retrode's N64 adapter will allow access to the RAM of the GameShark.
    Last edited by alec006; 08-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Huh. I'll have to read up on the factory reset method.

Either way, if it's broke at least I paid $3 for a clay shooting target.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Just bought a GS v2.2 for the N64, cleaned it, put Super Mario 64 onto it, and turned it on, only to find a blank screen and the GS itself reading #8. Removed it and powered up the N64, and it says #1. Removed the GS, and put in SM64, and it's not my N64 screwing up. I've read about how the GS's flash memory screws up, and I fear that might be the cause.

Any idea how to fix it or am I SOL?
    I just received a gameshark v3.2 that was DOA. I opened it up and cleaned the contacts on the board the same as I would for a game. Came right up after that. Not saying tha's the problem, just offering up something you may try.
    My Nintendo 64 Controller Page
    http://www.squidoo.com/controller-for-n64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamecraze View Post
    I just received a gameshark v3.2 that was DOA. I opened it up and cleaned the contacts on the board the same as I would for a game. Came right up after that. Not saying tha's the problem, just offering up something you may try.
    I cleaned the pins on the board (70% rubbing alcohol) and it still won't work. Either way, is there a way to fix its memory, seeing as that might be the problem?