Thread: What's the earliest you've ever abandoned a new system?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the earliest you've ever abandoned a new system?

Ok, this question works like this. You buy a new system, brand new, with all the excitement and anticipation that goes with it. But later on down the line, you realize that it just isn't the system for you, and you dump it.

What is the shortest period of time that you have ever owned a system, that you originally had great hopes for?

For me, it was the Neo-Geo. I had a Super Nintendo and a Sega Genesis, and a collection of games and accessories for both systems, and I decided to sell all of this stuff to get a Neo-Geo, and one Neo-Geo game. I basically had to sacrifice everything for the Neo-Geo. I can't remember what the Neo-Geo was going for at the time. I think $499.99, or something like that. I know that the games were around $149.99. Well, I only owned that Neo-Geo for like 2 months, and then I decided to sell it, and go back to my Super Nintendo and Genesis. It wasn't so much that I didn't like the Neo-Geo, as it was the fact that the games just were too expensive, and instead of only having one or two really good games, I would rather have a much larger selection. It was an error in judgement, on my part. Not any fault of the Neo-Geo's

Besides the Neo-Geo, the PS2 is the next system that I had the least length of time. I didn't even have it, for one full year. I bought the PS2 on launch day, with the highest of expectations. I spent all night in the wind and rain in front of a Target store, to get it. Initially, I did like the PS2. But I later realized that I really didn't like it, I just forced myself to like it. With all I had invested in it, I had to like it. But it just seemed like the games that I got, where average at best, and that the system was dramatically underpowered, in comparison to how powerfull it was hyped up to be. I will also admit that I'm somewhat of a videophile, and that the PS2 is very dissapointing, in terms of the video signal that it outputs, considering the fact that this system came out in the year 2000. To me, all the games seemed colorless, with washed out color palletes. Everything seemed dark and dreary on the PS2. After having a Dreamcast, with everything being so bright and vibrant and colorfull, the PS2 was just a big dissapointment to me. I had a HDTV, and I had been playing my Dreamcast on my HDTV through the VGA box, and it was like a whole new world. While the PS2, was just a drab, dreary, washed out, colorless world. With tons of jaggies and shimmer everywhere. So I dumped it. About 9 or 10 months after staying up all night in the rain and wind in front of a Target store. I got rid of it, just at the time that Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto 3 were coming out. I was looking forward to the XBOX and GameCube, so I didn't really care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: What's the earliest you've ever abandoned a new system?

I've never dumped a system, but I have had and parted with a few PlayStation titles that I actually liked :/

I don't ever plan on selling a system, no matter how bad it might work.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Definitely Dreamcast for me. I've actually never abandoned any other system than Dreamcast (unless you count selling of a PSOne for a PS2). I probably only had it for 4 or 5 months, I never really gave it a shot past Air Force Delta, Soul Calibur, Hydro Thunder, MVC, and NFL 2k. I don't really regret it now either, but I do regret not picking one up again when they were $50 at best buy.

Oh well, one less system to blow more money on... as though my list isn't big enough as it is =P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may be on the wrong board to find people dumping systems. I've never dumped one.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I owned a PS2 for almost 2 months before I sold it. A couple of reasons led me to this quick dumping. First, I finally realized that right now, I just want to stick with cart based systems, I'm too impatient to wait for load times, plus I just think carts are the coolest thing . Second, it's just not economical to play games on new machines, not to mention, I just have more fun with the classics. I guess I'm just content with the systems I have right now, and being content is good. Less stress.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never "dumped" a system, ever.

Granted, my Odyssey is back in its box, but that's largely because it's a well-preserved chunk o' history that I intend to continue preserving well.

That said, anyone who wants to see said Odyssey in action can check it out at OKGE this September.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    You may be on the wrong board to find people dumping systems. I've never dumped one.
    Me too...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

All these years and I've NEVER dumped a system.

But you know... I was really *this close* to offering my Xbox to a friend who couldn't afford to buy one. I really hardly ever play it. It could very well be my first "dumped" console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I've never dumped a system . I still ahve all my original systems...I did loan an N64 to a friend for almost 3 years, but was eventually returned.

I sold my old B&W game boy last christmas for $10. does that count?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I got an N64 about 6 months ago I've probably only spent an hour with it. Not that I'm about to get rid of it, I just don't really care for it right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never dumped a system. My least played system is the Gamecube though. I had been weary about getting it to start with, unsure of its quality. I have a N64 I don't use, and I didn't want to contribute to the pile of unused systems. Anyway, I did get a Gamecube for Christmas and I haven't used it much at all. However, I won't dump it for one reason: Mario Kart Double Dash has me excited...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My only system that is about to say bye-bye for reasons other than needing cash is the XBOX. I never play it, I'm not exited by any of the titles going to come out for it, and with zero turn based RPGs coming out for it, there's no reason for me to keep it. Its been packed up and ready to go, simply awaiting payment from the buyer.

-AG

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never dump any of my systems away.The only reason I would dump them are if they are broken.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up reselling the Intellivision I got in a contest here after only a few months, simply because the system just didn't click with me. It had no nostalgia attached to it (never experienced the system during it's heyday), and the 2600 is more than sufficient for when I get a hankering for some classic gaming. I felt kinda bad about it, but it was either that or let it collect dust until the end of time. At least this way someone is enjoying it.

I also sold off my SMS, during a "reduction in junk" period following a "grab a bunch of stuff I never owned" period. I never got any real classic games for it, thus it just took up space too.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I got back into gaming in 1998, I have not dumped a system, but since I did get rid of everything I had as a kid, I guess I am the grand poobaa of dumping! :P

Danny