Thread: Want to find classic gaming computer with games similiar to the Atari St?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Want to find classic gaming computer with games similiar to the Atari St?

I heard theres alot of underrated classics on the Atari St , but I feel like most of the games are exclusive to the pal market or am I wrong? Was there a classic gaming computer in the united states with a similiar library of games?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari ST was very much around in the US. There are quite a few European exclusives, especially late in its lifespan, because it had more longevity there. But it's not like it was only popular in Europe. Also, I'm pretty sure European games will play fine, there will just be a speed difference.

But to answer your question, the ST shares a very large number of games with the Amiga. As the Amiga had a higher color palette and a better sound chip, the Amiga versions are usually a tad better. I would recommend Amiga over Atari ST myself. But I'm sure some Atari fan will chime in.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Atari ST was very much around in the US. There are quite a few European exclusives, especially late in its lifespan, because it had more longevity there. But it's not like it was only popular in Europe. Also, I'm pretty sure European games will play fine, there will just be a speed difference.

But to answer your question, the ST shares a very large number of games with the Amiga. As the Amiga had a higher color palette and a better sound chip, the Amiga versions are usually a tad better. I would recommend Amiga over Atari ST myself. But I'm sure some Atari fan will chime in.
    i think the atari acually had the better sound capabilities, not 100% sure though. amiga versions did look slightly better imho though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both Amiga and ST are extremely close, as many games were just ported between them. For the first several years, many games originated on the Atari ST and only got ported to the Amiga. Once some really talented people started coding for the Amiga first, you got some games that really blew the ST away (lots of games from '91-'94)
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Both Amiga and ST are extremely close, as many games were just ported between them. For the first several years, many games originated on the Atari ST and only got ported to the Amiga. Once some really talented people started coding for the Amiga first, you got some games that really blew the ST away (lots of games from '91-'94)
    Actually, very few games started on the ST and got ported to the Amiga. It was almost always the other way around. In addition, there are almost no ST exclusives outside of some very early games and some Atari released stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, in UK and Germany, many titles originated on ST and got later ported to Amiga (The ST was almost popular from the beginning, the Amiga 1000 was not (too expensive). So the ST did have an almost 3 year headstart until the A500 arrived on the scene, which only became really popular in 1989 with the introduction of the Batman pack-in). Of course, past 88/89 once the A500 gained popularity, things changed and it was then the other way around. So you could say, the first 3 years the ST games were all 16-bit exclusives.

Personally, I didn't like the ST (I'm A8 man), as the ST was done by Commodore people and the Amiga was done by Atari people, so for me, the Amiga was the computer of choice.

Anyway, in answer to your question, the PC has had a simular library of games for the US market from early on.
    Last edited by tom; 08-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In addition, there are almost no ST exclusives outside of some very early games and some Atari released stuff.
    This raises a question I've been thinking about: what (good/notable) games were available on the ST but not the Amiga, or were superior on the ST?

The only one I can think of right away is FTL's excellent space trading game SunDog, which I don't think was on the Amiga. There was also an ST remake of the classic Star Raiders, but I don't remember it being that amazing.