Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine (Persona Spin-Off)!!!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

anyone pick this up on release?

i just beat it a few hours ago, this was a really great game, i do have some complaints but most are minor, game is frustrating as fuck at times, but i love the fact that there really isnt one set way to get ahead, my playthrough will not necessarily be yours.

if nothing else, this game is one of the last few truly original titles of this generation, i got jerked on the ending and only got the normal freedom ending so im replaying to get a different one, theres something like 8 endings i believe, took me about 15 hours to beat

also to anyone who cares, this game is 2 players (once u get a gold trophy) its alot of fun playin in this mode, totally changes the feel of the game when another person is present, i dont know why they didnt advertise this feature more heavily
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to wait for this to get a price drop. However, I also want the limited edition so I might pick that one up sooner rather then later.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got my 2 PS3 LEs today finally. Just about to crack one of em. Looks to be a fun game!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I'm going to wait for this to get a price drop. However, I also want the limited edition so I might pick that one up sooner rather then later.
    I preordered both the 360 and ps3 limited editions w/ the belief that they would be sold out if I didnt.
    I think that in a few months you will see this for under 50 bucks.
    Fry's already has it for 59.99.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Grabbed the Limited Edition of this a couple days ago and have really had a great time with it. I think that this is one of those rare titles that I will actually feel that I got my money's worth out of when buying at launch.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm playing the US PS3 one now.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 01:07 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's the worst change, then I'm not bothered. I haven't seen much on comparisons between versions, but I am leaning towards picking up the PS3 version. An Atlus game on Xbox just doesn't seem right.

Great write-up there also. Echos much of my desires and concerns, which doesn't happen often.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, even though I appreciate the JP version's unforgiving attitude, I still totally recommend getting any version of the game -- it's not like the puzzles themselves got changed around, so there's still plenty of challenge. The US voicework is nice, too.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I'm loving it so far. The limited-edition items are such a hoot! Boxers aren't my thing, but the shirt is going straight into my wardrobe.
    It's quite starved of nerd-related apparel.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Rockies View Post
    I preordered both the 360 and ps3 limited editions w/ the belief that they would be sold out if I didnt.
    I think that in a few months you will see this for under 50 bucks.
    Fry's already has it for 59.99.
    True but the problem is that this is one of those games that not every store will carry the limited edition. Since I have no Fry's, Gamestop is the only store around here that would carry the limited edition. And I'm pretty sure that if they don't sell them in the first month or so they will just gut it to make room for something else.

I wish stores like Best Buy, Sears and Walmart received the limited edition but that rarely ever happens with games like this. So thats why I was thinking about getting this soon so that I can atleast secure a factory sealed one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The game finally arrived on Saturday. I've put in about 5 hours so far. I love it, but it's harder than 2-day old shit. Once you get used to the techniques, though, solving the puzzles becomes second nature.

Meanwhile the story is incredible! I laugh out loud while watching it. It's pretty cool how it compares you answers to other players in the online database, as well.

This is one of my favorite games this generation. There is a steep learning curve but if you stick with it the game is very rewarding. This is a truly unique game, and it's actually FUN. If you're on the fence about it, wait for a price drop, but anybody into artsy games should definitely give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm about 5 hours in too. It's pretty much brilliant. Don't use the stick for the gameplay though..use the d-pad...it's WAYYY more accurate! Puzzles are definitely hard as hell, but it's rewarding when ya finally finish. Also...finally a game that nets ya a game over when you run out of continues!

And the content....whoa. It's some pretty serious stuff....I'm surprised this made it out to be honest...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this game a lot, I'm positively surprised over how hard this game is, even on normal. What's most amazing to me is admittedly the graphics though. This is the first game I've seen that has NAILED anime style in 3D, I absolutely love looking at this game. And this comes from someone who isn't a huge fan of anime. They keep the feel of the artwork intact and I honestly can't wait for a Persona/SMT with the same graphics.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Patney View Post
    I like this game a lot, I'm positively surprised over how hard this game is, even on normal. What's most amazing to me is admittedly the graphics though. This is the first game I've seen that has NAILED anime style in 3D, I absolutely love looking at this game. And this comes from someone who isn't a huge fan of anime. They keep the feel of the artwork intact and I honestly can't wait for a Persona/SMT with the same graphics.
    I know, right? As cool as they are, the hand drawn segments don't look nearly a good as the realtime rendered segments.

As for the frustration, I started looking on youtube to find clues when I got super frustrated. It teaches you some of the techniques before the game itself does. (the first level always forces you to do something new, then they dont explain the technique you just used until you get up to the platform. Arrgh!) Anyway, that helps a lot.

After awhile the whole thing sort of becomes second nature and you can bounce through it pretty quickly. (the boss levels are still awful, though) good luck!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that it sold 150K stateside in its first week in the dead heat of summer, let alone developed as the most atypical kind of game for this console generation (platform-puzzler revolving marriage, love triangle, and...sheep?!), speaks volumes for Atlus, Catherine's PR campaign, and the gamers that supports them. With this, Muramasa, Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes, and Demon's Souls, maybe now developers will finally get the idea there's not only room for originality but there's a market for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patney View Post
    Totally agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... Just finished this. I think I got the bad ending, seeing as the last sequences were kind of dull and the the usual "Stray Sheep" song played during the credit rolls. I was left slightly disappointed by the ending I got, but it still was an excellent experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Picked this up for a rather good price the other day at Best Buy and damn is the story as good as I've been hearing. No matter how hard and frustrating a level gets, I just can't seem to stop playing until I fully finish a level, just because I really want to know what happens when Vincent wakes up the next morning. I bet level 4 earlier tonight and was completely absorbed by the cutscene after, that's some top notch storytelling if I've ever seen it.

Speaking of gameplay, I don't understand the comparisons to Q*Bert (although that's usually said by the ill-informed), but to me it's more like a strange mix of Intelligence Cube and a platformer, since the game really makes you think fast in tight situations.

Even tho I haven't completed it yet, it's easily going on my "Best of 2011" list.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre