Thread: Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast or Gamecube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast or Gamecube?

Is there any major reason to buy one over the other? I hear the GC one has frame drops and only runs at 30fps but has extra missions? How about Sonic 2 Battle?
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just my opinion, but you really should stick with the Dreamcast versions. I thought the Gamecube ports sucked and one of the reasons is indeed a slightly sketchy frame rate, at least compared to the DC originals. Like a moron, I dumped my DC versions and replaced them with Gamecube ones.

Hell, the Gamecube ones aren't really any cheaper anyway. You look around long enough and you'll get a good price on the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure's.

Obviously it wasn't a bad idea by Sega to port those 2 games onto another system since they still wanted fans to be able to play them and the Dreamcast was no longer commercially viable. It's just too bad they didn't do a better job on the port.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube version's porting quality is a bit questionable, but I didn't find it to be disastrous like, say, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis on GBA. And I thought the extra features (Every Sonic Game Gear release ever? Nice.) make it worth picking over the Dreamcast version if pricing and options were comparable.
    Was kind of a disappointment though, compared to how Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was more or less completely superior to the DC SA2 in every way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I never owned a Dreamcast when The game came out so I eventually got DX.

I HATED it compared to sonic adventure 2.

Well I just bought the Dreamcast version the other day And I love it.

Im sure if I went back to DX I would still not like it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Gamecube is fine. Avoid Sonic Adventure: Director's Cut like the plague.

On a sidenote, these games are part of the few to use GBA connectivity effectively. You can transfer your Chao from Sonic Adventure/2 to Sonic Advance 1-3 and raise it on the go. Rings collected in the Advance's story mode can also be collected and transferred to the Gamecube games, and used to buy stuff in the Chao market.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    Is there any major reason to buy one over the other? I hear the GC one has frame drops and only runs at 30fps but has extra missions?
    The Dreamcast version only runs at 30fps to begin with. The Gamecube version attempted to run at 60fps, but the framerate is actually all over the place, which is more distracting than the solid 30fps of the DC version. Also they were supposed to improve the graphics, but they only improved certain things, so the end result is really uneven looking.

How about Sonic 2 Battle?
    Sonic 2 Battle is fine, but the only thing the Gamecube version has over the Dreamcast is increased 2-player options (hence "Battle"). And the chao mode is supposedly better but I really don't care about that. Both versions run at 60fps and support progressive scan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    On a sidenote, these games are part of the few to use GBA connectivity effectively. You can transfer your Chao from Sonic Adventure/2 to Sonic Advance 1-3 and raise it on the go. Rings collected in the Advance's story mode can also be collected and transferred to the Gamecube games, and used to buy stuff in the Chao market.
    Also if you happen to have a copy of Phantasy Star Online (GC) you can transfer yourself an immortal Tails Chao, who is ridiculously cute.

Personally I'd go with GC for both versions. The extra gamegear games and the option to play as Metal Sonic makes it worth it. I can't say I've ever been bothered by the framerate.

SA2 is definitely better on the GC in so many ways.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Also they were supposed to improve the graphics, but they only improved certain things, so the end result is really uneven looking..
    As far as I'm able to tell, all they did was improve the six playable character models, giving them more detail and sheen to them (though they didn't bother to fix the absolutely horrendous lip synching). And it REALLY stands out when compared to other characters, like Robotnik and the various humans tooling around town. The load times have been improved, but the framerate is really all over the place. They also "attempted" to improve the camera by mapping it to the C-Stick, but stupidly, you have to go into the pause menu and select Manual camera EVERY time you enter a stage. Lame.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29