Thread: Game Genie Help

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Genie Help

I understand a lot of topics have been made before, but it seems not all of my games are compatible with my version of Game Genie. I used rubbing alcohol and the like to clean the contacts of my cartridge (Super Star Wars) before inserting it into the genie. I did the same with the genie. I get to the code screen and what not, and the genie works fine, but when im done entering my codes (found on gamegenie.com) the screen just cuts to black, and never works. Thinking it might be my cartridge, i took apart my game genie to take the little lock flap off (my Super Star Wars cartridge has a little slot that the genie locks onto instead of the big bottom-flap)

Game genie loads, still doesnt work. This Game Genie i had since i was a kid, so i have the book for it. Tried one of the games in the book (Top Gear). Didnt check to see if the codes were working(They worked a few months back on a different game anyways) but the game at least boots. Even without codes, Star Wars didnt boot.

Noticed that my genie was version 1.0, rev 5 i believe...any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

Did you check to see that SSW works without the genie attached? I do not believe there was any compatibility issues with any games since the genie only patched rom addresses.

Another thing you may want to consider is that there was at least one revision made of SSW, and you would need to find the correct codes for that revision.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

How old is your system? From what I've read a lot of the newer SNES systems aren't compatible with the Game Genie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

I did some research, and the codes on gamegenie.com and my own site are for the original game released in November of 1992. There was a Player's Choice version released in 1993 that these codes do not work with. If you find that is the culprit, I would be glad to convert/make the codes for the revision. Otherwise good luck finding what's going on.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, Super Star Wars works without the game genie. I was trying to get the genie working for my 8 year old brother (the games are haaaaard, thought he'd have more fun cheating ) Neither of the three star wars games work, and I'm fairly certain that the copy of SSW I have is not players choice (bought it CIB on ebay) I have a players choice version as well...

And the game genie does work on my system. I've been using it as a kid and the codes work for SimCity, Top Gear, Super Adventure Island, etc (all games that were in the manual that came with the Genie)

EDIT - I've been testing games listed on gamegenie.com...

Super Star Wars - doesn't run
    Super Empire Strikes Back - doesn't run
    Super Return of the Jedi - doesn't run
    Toy Story - doesn't run
    Top Gear - runs (in the book)
    Hook - runs (not in book)

I can gurantee it is not dirty cartridges. I clean all my SNES game contacts monthly pretty much, and when i get a new game i do some pretty heavy duty cleaning on it
    Last edited by Game Freak; 08-23-2010 at 09:45 AM.