Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMMC - Mr. Do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MMMC - Mr. Do!

Okay here is a straight up classic, and one I am sure everyone has played before.

I remember there was a little bit of controversy over this game, because the more popular Dig Dug was released in the same year, and how similar the games were in game play and overall look. I'm surprised Atari didn't sue Universal into oblivion.

To be honest, I think Mr. Do! is a better game, It requires more strategy as the Extra is in play, you have to strategize more in regard to the apples, how long to wait before pushing them onto the monsters to rack up the score and get more Extra monsters (wikipedia calls them Alphamonsters) to come out every 5,000 points, when to go for the prize in the middle and how to set up the apple-eating monsters so that you can kill the Alphamonster without having to deal with them, all the while knowing that the main monsters get faster and faster and there is a very limited time before they make a straight run for you and you are in trouble. The power ball you carry is your friend, more than almost everything else.

Of course, the best part about the game was the possibility of a free game, in the form of a diamond that would rarely appear when an apple was split open from a fall. I think I can count on one hand (maybe part of another) out of the hundreds of times I have played this game where that has occurred. This was a blessing if you were any good at the game, because that meant it was one less quarter or token you had to spend in the arcade.

I still play this game a lot to this day, and in my opinion one of the very best games to come out of the 80s.

And yes, that is my high score at the bottom right.
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

http://drop.io/dpmameclub/asset/mrdo-zip

Thank you again Rendclaw!

Although, did you have to pick one of my top 2 "Least favorite popular games ever"??

I'll have to play it again this week, and see if I like it any better now.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    http://drop.io/dpmameclub/asset/mrdo-zip

Thank you again Rendclaw!

Although, did you have to pick one of my top 2 "Least favorite popular games ever"??

I'll have to play it again this week, and see if I like it any better now.
    I had no idea... but then again I didn't ask..
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Well, it's official. I still don't care much for Mr. Do. I think I get what I'm generally supposed to do, but hey... I gave it a go.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Always loved Mr. Do! Played on my Colecovision back in the day for hours.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally i prefer Mr Do the action is more intense,i get bored playing DigDug its just too slow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had an experience with Mr. Do when I was a kid.. if you were an arcade rat, you knew how to get 255 lives in the game and play for hours. Well I went into this really nice, but empty (except for the cashier) arcade full of dozens of cocktail machines. Of course I went straight to the Mr. Do and did the 255 lives trick. Well the stupid cashier who was an annoying chinese lady, decided to come and sit next to me and watch me play.. that was bad enough, but then she pointed at the number of lives I had and said the machine is malfunctioning and pulled the plug on me!!! I was so pissed but at 12 years old there really wasn't much I could do and that was my only quarter. So yeah.. thank you chinese bitch.
    Last edited by NE146; 12-09-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Ah, no need for me to fire up MAME for this one.

All I need to do is pull up a seat!

What I really love about Mr. Do! (and incidentally, not enough people shout the title, which is the appropriate way to say it considering the exclamation mark) is that you can clear the levels multiple ways: cherries, monsters or EXTRA.

I can't think of many other games of that era gave the user those types of options.

BTW, while we're on the subject ... anybody know where I can get a repro of the green "UNIVERSAL" sticker for the lower area of a Mr. Do! cocktail?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-09-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I had an experience with Mr. Do when I was a kid.. if you were an arcade rat, you knew how to get 255 lives in the game and play for hours.
    Gee, I thought it was tricky to pull off. Apparently not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TzYIwgsAsU

By the way, did you know there's a way to consistently trigger the appearance of a diamond by inserting your credit at the right part of the Attract mode? The guy who analyzed the Pac-Man Kill Screen has the full details:
    http://www.donhodges.com/mr_do!_diamond_trigger.htm
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Gee, I thought it was tricky to pull off. Apparently not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TzYIwgsAsU
    Nope.. super easy. Although I guess I was lucky enough that the Taito version was the primary version I'd always see, because apparently it doesn't work on other versions.

By the way, did you know there's a way to consistently trigger the appearance of a diamond by inserting your credit at the right part of the Attract mode? The guy who analyzed the Pac-Man Kill Screen has the full details:
    http://www.donhodges.com/mr_do!_diamond_trigger.htm
    No I didn't know that.. and that's another thing about Mr. Do, despite obviously being able to play it for hours and hours as a kid, I only ever saw the diamond ONCE! Never really thought about it before until the internet age though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    No I didn't know that.. and that's another thing about Mr. Do, despite obviously being able to play it for hours and hours as a kid, I only ever saw the diamond ONCE! Never really thought about it before until the internet age though..
    For those who didn't bother with the link, the odds of any particular apple revealing a diamond are 1 in 512 or 1 in 2048, depending on the dip switch setting.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Damn! I missed Mr. Do!!

Everytime I play Mr. Do, I still get cravings for either Bubble Gum, or Blue Raspberry Slush Puppies.

When I played Mr. Do as a kid, it was in a small drug store. There was a Slush Puppy machine next to it, and I always got one. Instead of using 3 squirts of liquid, as recommended, I always used about 15-20. I'm amazed I still have all my teeth!

I still remember the first time I ever got a diamond. I got so excited, I damn near spilled my Slush Puppy all over the game. And yes. it was a big deal... No game I ever remeber, before or since, ever gave you the chance to win a free game.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax
    What I really love about Mr. Do! (and incidentally, not enough people shout the title, which is the appropriate way to say it considering the exclamation mark) is that you can clear the levels multiple ways: cherries, monsters or EXTRA.

I can't think of many other games of that era gave the user those types of options.
    Picking up the diamond also ends a level.

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    No game I ever remeber, before or since, ever gave you the chance to win a free game.
    The first four Mr. Do! series games all give free games when you pick up the diamond.

Lady Bug gives a free game when you complete the "SPECIAL" bonus letters. Jumping Jack gives a free game too, I forget what the trigger is for that one.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Picking up the diamond also ends a level.

The first four Mr. Do! series games all give free games when you pick up the diamond.

Lady Bug gives a free game when you complete the "SPECIAL" bonus letters. Jumping Jack gives a free game too, I forget what the trigger is for that one.
    That's right... I forgot about Ladybug.

I've never managed to win a free game in Castle, Wild Ride, or Neo Do.. I had no idea they were there.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    That's right... I forgot about Ladybug.

I've never managed to win a free game in Castle, Wild Ride, or Neo Do.. I had no idea they were there.
    Do! Run Run, not Neo Mr. Do! Neo Mr. Do! isn't canon.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most all y'all were probably too young to remember but Moon Cresta awarded a free game if you scored 30,000 pts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Mr. Do!

Of the thousands of video games I've played through the years, Mr. Do! is still my favorite game of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

I agree with this 100%. While I actually prefer Do! Run Run, as I think it's a deeper game, Mr. Do! also has a special place in my heart as I had it for years and years on a disk for my Atari 1200XL, but for whatever reason it didn't show up on the cracked menu (95% of my disks were copies), but one day I the menu stopped working and I had to access all of the games from DOS, and there it was at the bottom! It was like finding an Easter egg, except it was a whole new game! I've loved the game ever since.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Mr. Do for me is one of those games you can always go back to and have a blast with. It was a favorite of mine as a kid and still is now. I do enjoy the GB remake, yet to try the snes version.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QuietKrunkKuma

Mr. Do! has always been one of my all time favorites.. I tried to play it in a pizza place fairly recently, and it kicked my butt.. I felt like anytime I had played it, it was a simple & easy game. Obviously, it does have a bit more challenge than I remembered. Maybe it was just that particular day it was so hard, lol.

The only time I've bought this was for my Colecovision (I still have Mr. Do's Castle to this day -my Colecovision is long sold, unfortunately ...

So, my question to anyone is this: Has Mr. Do (namely the Arcade release) ever been sold on a "Collection" disk for any console/computer (i.e. Sega Ultimate Collection, Taito legends, etc?) before? I have Taito Legends 1 & 2, and AFAIK, Mr. Do! isn't on it.