View Poll Results: Should handheld only titles be ported over to their main console counter parts?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a port or variant should be brought over to home consoles as well as hand helds

6 26.09%
  • No. Suck it up and buy said handheld and quit being a weenie

11 47.83%
  • I don't care, I own everything anyways

6 26.09%

Thread: New released on hand helds only

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Default New released on hand helds only

I'm going to attempt to make a poll here, but if it doesn't work, meh.

Anyways. I don't know how a lot of you feel, but the other day a friend and I were looking at the new releases for the remainder of the year, and noticed that there are a lot of hand held exclusives coming out (Kingdom Hearts being the one I remember most), as well as in the past few years (Final Fantasy 3, the remakes of Final Fantasy games, Mana series games, etc).

It annoys me because 1.) I hate hand held gaming. I mean, at times I do appreciate it (when traveling or when a TV isn't accessible), but why make just exclusive titles? Nintendo DS games should be ported over, or a variant to the current hardware (in this case the Wii) should have a release of it's own.

Kingdom Hearts is only being released on the PSP, but I feel that it should be released on the PS3 as well (even though I don't own one). What's the deal? Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just one of those people who need to "quit bitching, suck it up and go buy a DS/PSP"?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Really it depends on the game, some handheld games do get ported over and are terrible, some turn out okay. Not to mention some games do get handheld and console versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

I'm thinking more along the lines of the major titles that have a huge following. Like Kingdom Hearts, the Mana series, and Final Fantasy. Now, FF I can see why they didn't release ANOTHER remake of the originals on the newer systems since they already did that with Chronicles, Origins and Anthologies, but they left out 1 game - Final Fantasy 3j. They brought it over to the DS only, which as a fan of the series, is annoyed with that. They should've added it into Origins, Anthologies or Chronicles since they remade the rest of them, and since I refuse to get a DS for 1 game, it's sad to know that I'll never be able to play it the way it was meant to be played.

Other games like Mega Man, Mario Kart, etc,. already exist in one form or another on the home consoles, plus the Wii had the VC so they'll usually end up there anyways. I didn't mean every game should have a port over, but the major ones I think should.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didnt vote, but exclusives are a big thing for systems, so I'm leaning towards no.
    N64 collector

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I only game at home, even with my portable systems, so I would much rather view them on my tv screen when given the choice. Thank you Gameboy Player! Screens often go bad on portables, like on many Game Gears. Console all the way!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would depend on the game and features inherent in the platform. A stylus is not the same as a wiimote, gameplay may or may not transfer over faithfully.

Otherwise, the more available a game is, the better, I say.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just one of those people who need to "quit bitching, suck it up and go buy a DS/PSP"?
    The latter. I think your proposal is a terrible idea. What's the point of buying a system at all if it has no exclusives? Even if you're only taking away the major titles, it would still be crippling because you'd be leaving it with nothing but small-time niche exclusives. Every system needs its own big-name exclusives in order to define its worth and to carve out an identity for itself.

Honestly, this argument isn't really any different from whining that so-and-so home console game isn't on so-and-so other home console just because, in terms of the first home console, "I don't like blah system"/"I don't want to buy blah system"/"I can't afford blah system"/etc. Either buy something or do without. You can't act like a little kid and wish for the game industry to revolve around your own preferences.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason Nintendo has been succesful with the DS is because the DS offers unique gameplay. The DS is so miles apart from the Wii that it justfies as purchase.

The PSP on the other hand while graphically superior does not offer anything that you cannot or have not played on a console. The PSP is more of the same only in handheld form. I think given the choice more people would rather play a console versions of the games offered on the PSP. I think thats where the PSP stumbled. (Besides piracy issuses of course).

I don't think companies should offer direct ports of handheld games on consoles. Whats acceptable on a handheld most people would not find acceptable for a console.

However I wouldn't mind if every console in the future offered a tv out option for those who want to play those games on a big screen. That seems like a more relastic option.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

You're thinking about this in the wrong way. You're looking at re-releases of old games and wondering why they arn't on a new system. It costs LOTS of monies to make new games, and its not cheap to even translate/port stuff to the new systems. They won't take up all that much space and arn't really justifable to be put on disc. That leaves XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. Sales may/may not really make it worth the while to do.

If you're talking new games/IP's then thats a different ball of wax. The next gen systems can do WAY more than what a handheld can do, so even when you've got a console game thats being ported to a handheld, things have to change, and often its not good. I've got no desire to play Lego Batman DS, but will play the heck out of the console version. Same with things like CoD:MW. DS, no way, console, yes please. Those games just don't translate, or translate well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Liike Aussie2B said. If a system has no exclusives then what reason is there to even have the system.

At release the PSP wasn't worth picking up. I picked one up late 2006 once there were enough games released for it to be worth it, meanwhile having about 20 DS games. The PSP really started picking up and got a lot of great exclusives as well as some really good remakes making it my favorite system this gen. If all these games instead came to both the PS2 and PSP, then I wouldn't have cared about the system in the least.

That being said. If you want to play PSP games on a larger screen, there are component and composite cables released to do so. Unfortunately nothing for the DS but the system is still an awesome system.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no option for GB Player type devices, so I abstain.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

And no mention of Dragon Quest IX here... good sales already so far in US and Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use the GBA player and SGB to play on a TV. I actually went out and bought a 20" tube TV for my bedroom recently to play GBA titles on (they look much better than on it than any of my other TVs). I'm kind of torn on the exclusive titles argument. I mean, DQIX is amazing on the DS, but I'd rather play it on the 360.

They need to make a player for the DS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Remember how the crash of '83 started because companies thought every big game such as Qbert needed at least 12 different ports? Now you see why exclusives exist.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Remember how the crash of '83 started because companies thought every big game such as Qbert needed at least 12 different ports? Now you see why exclusives exist.
    The crash was caused by ET only

I kid, I kid.

I'm not saying port every Final Fantasy from the NES version onto the SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, etc., but more like "if X game is being made for the PSP, we should also put it on the PS3", which would still keep it exclusive to Sony.

I know the GCN has the Gameboy Player to play your GB, GBC, and GBA(?) games, but it's not compatible with the Wii (though I believe there is something made my Datel for that...not sure though). I would've thought Nintendo would have made a GB/GBC/GBA/DS attachment for the Wii to play those games on your TV, which would also open the market for people like me who don't want a DS (I can afford it, I just don't want it) but can still enjoy the games.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I do own everything but I would like to see games put onto a main console. I have a DS I bought on launch and only managed to play 2 games since the day it came out. I also have a psp which has maybe 4 hours play on it total. I have a hard time getting comfortable with handhelds, there almost annoying to me, but at the same time some of the best games I've ever played were handheld. One reason I with remote play on ps3 was the other way around, as I would rather play my psp game on a big tv. And obviously any DS game would need to be completely redone with the touch screen and all.