Thread: ODD GBA SP AC Adapter (marked USG-002??)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ODD GBA SP AC Adapter (marked USG-002??)

So I recently purchased a GBA SP AC Adapter on Ebay to replace the one I lost many moons ago. The auction I bid on claimed it is from Nintendo, but I have my doubts and wanted to come here for more information.

The AC Adapter is grey instead of the normal black I'm accustomed to. As I mentioned in the title, the model number is USG-002 which is the same as the DS Lite. The plug did fit in the GBA SP, but I am afraid to test it in it. It also only has JPN in parenthesis instead of having both JPN and USA. It also seems to have more Japanese text than English. If it helps, the etched marking below the plug read A9KTD30.

What makes me most suspicious is that in the bottom right corner on the side with plugs the little 'm' is gone and instead there is the word zebra with a circle around it.

As I mentioned, any help is appreciated. I already e-mailed Nintendo, but I figure people here may know if it is a region difference. I doubt that, but you never know.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would assume that it's either a bootleg or that someone tacked a GBA SP plug on the DS Lite adapter, after all both output the same voltage. I've seen some 2Wire router's adapters with the GBA SP plug on them at flea markets so it's not impossible...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought one of those off E-bay also, gray color, I assumed it was Japanese at first, and still believe the charger itself is, with possibly a 3rd party cable and plug.

When I compared it to a black colored one, it seems the plug on the gray one is a bit bigger, I confirmed this by inserting it to a GBA SP with the covers off, the gray one "widens" the metal casing around the connector noticeably, the black one does not.

The thing was so cheap I didn't bother making a big deal about it, I don't know how the guy makes money off of them...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your help guys. I'll probably just return it since it says the seller pays return shipping. I mainly bought it since the seller claimed Nintendo manufactured it, but everything paints a different story.

Hamburglar, if you still have yours can you see if it matches my description?

I should also probably add that the Warnings on the side with the plug are in English and French.

Edit: Nintendo pretty much confirmed beyond a doubt that this is not real. No more information is necessary.
    Last edited by Dr. Dib; 08-26-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    I have a sig?