Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any masters of the 360 NAT type problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Default Any masters of the 360 NAT type problems?

This is sort of technical but I put it here because I think this is a common problem

I've been having this problem for a long time and I swear its getting worse and worse. My NAT type will not stay open. It always goes to moderate and never strict. I have went into my routers settings and even opened the three ports for xbox live and assigned an IP address and made sure that the 360 ip matches. This used to work but only temporarily. Everything seems to stay the same as it was but it just goes moderate. The ip still matches. I tried everything to keep it open but it always after a couple days goes back to moderate making it near impossible to play with a party of six all having similar problems. Does anyone here have any info about this other than what xbox support provides. I'm looking for a permanent fix. Also, I know this wouldn't make much sense but is this problem specific to modern warfare 2?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Let me guess... it's a Belkin router?

I had an old Microsoft router that just went out last week. Bought a Belkin and it's the most god awful thing I've ever dealt with. The damn NAT won't stay open, and I've done EVERYTHING. It's impossible to work with.

If it is a Belkin, dump it. That's what I'm doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I don't get it.. your router settings somehow reset? Or do the router settings stay the same yet your 360 ends up reporting it as moderate after a time? And if so how do you go about making it open again?
    Last edited by NE146; 08-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

What happens is the settings stay the same but the connection is reported as moderate. This time after unplugging it twice (Lynksis router wrt54g by the way) it went to open but it will only last for a couple of days. Sometimes I change the ip address in my router settings and xbox to something different and then set them back to what they were before and that works but it just keeps going back. When MW2 came out it stayed open for 3 months at least but its just going to shit more and more.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know what that's like, MW2 and all. I had the exact same problem with it switching to NAT Closed for no apparent reason.

Assuming you went through the router manufacturer's forums/tech support, have you thought about changing the firmware on your router (as I have) or buying a new one from a different company?

Do you remember when you got the router? They do get old and worn out pretty frequently. Especially after years of heavy use.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    Yeah, I know what that's like, MW2 and all. I had the exact same problem with it switching to NAT Closed for no apparent reason.

Assuming you went through the router manufacturer's forums/tech support, have you thought about changing the firmware on your router (as I have) or buying a new one from a different company?

Do you remember when you got the router? They do get old and worn out pretty frequently. Especially after years of heavy use.
    I have thought of getting a different one but I was always under the assumption that lynksis was one of the best. The router is pretty old though probably over 5 years maybe 7 or 8. It seams like more and more I come home and the internet doesn't work at all until I unplug it. It's just frustrating when you can't connect with your friends because they have the same problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok have you updated the firmware on your WRT54G? I would check what router version you have, go to the Linksys site and check the downloads section for firmware revisions for the router and make sure you have the latest.

If you don't have the latest firmware you'd be amazed at how much stuff it fixes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    ok have you updated the firmware on your WRT54G? I would check what router version you have, go to the Linksys site and check the downloads section for firmware revisions for the router and make sure you have the latest.

If you don't have the latest firmware you'd be amazed at how much stuff it fixes.
    I just upgraded the firmwire. It's open now so I'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks for all the the input guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Well I updated the firmwire and I managed to get the NAT open but sure enough the next day all settings are the same and it's moderate. I guess it's a lost cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh.. I just thought of something. You never mentioned if your 360 set to use DHCP ("automatic" in the settings menu)? Or did you manually configure it's IP settings?

Because, if it's using DHCP and you have other things connecting to the router then maybe the 360 is getting a different IP address from one day to the next. And if that happens then all the port openings you configured for the old 360 IP of course would then become useless.

Best thing to do is to manually configure your 360 network settings (typical sample setting: IP: 192.168.1.199, SM: 255.255.255.0, DG: 192.168.1.1) and then configure all your port openings only for that that specific IP.

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    ...and maybe port 80 TCP if you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Oh.. I just thought of something. You never mentioned if your 360 set to use DHCP ("automatic" in the settings menu)? Or did you manually configure it's IP settings?

Because, if it's using DHCP and you have other things connecting to the router then maybe the 360 is getting a different IP address from one day to the next. And if that happens then all the port openings you configured for the old 360 IP of course would then become useless.

Best thing to do is to manually configure your 360 network settings (typical sample setting: IP: 192.168.1.199, SM: 255.255.255.0, DG: 192.168.1.1) and then configure all your port openings only for that that specific IP.

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    ...and maybe port 80 TCP if you want.
    Ya I keep it set manually and have all the ports specific to that ip address. Right now the ip is the same as yesterday when it was open but its just moderate now. I don't have port 80 open though. Is it because of having so many things connected to it. I have two wired pc's, wireless laptop, and two 360's that use the connection often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might have something to do with all of your wireless connections. I've run into this when I'm at a friend's house with 4 360s running MW2 at the same time. One will be open, then 2 will be mod, and the 4th goes to strict for no apparent reason. He does have a dreaded Belkin though. What I ended up doing to fix it was to go into the router and st each of the Mac's on the 360s to the highest priority and ensuring that each of them is set to be open for gaming. It has pretty much fixed the problem so far (for several months).

Insert Coin (Level 0) phantomfriar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same router, spent hours trying to figure it out and finally stumbled upon this article. This is the only solution that works for this Linksys model I've found --

http://jakebillo.com/two-xboxes-one-...-wrt-or-tomato

I ended up flashing my Linksys with Tomato (it's not hard), then followed the directions in that article explicitly. I've had open NAT on both 360's ever since.

Definitely give it a try and good luck!
    Last edited by phantomfriar; 08-30-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you tell the router what the 360's MAC address is?

Otherwise the router can't tell the 360 apart from your computer or any other device on the network.

Beyond that, it sounds like you did everything right: forwarded ports, set the 360 to use a STATIC IP (NOT DHCP), so if it isn't working, the only thing I can think of is you didn't specify the 360's MAC address in your router configuration.

If you did set the MAC address, and it still doesn't work.. buy a new router. Preferably one that runs on Linux (so you can flash something like Tomato onto it).

Good luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post

Otherwise the router can't tell the 360 apart from your computer or any other device on the network.

Beyond that, it sounds like you did everything right: forwarded ports, set the 360 to use a STATIC IP (NOT DHCP), so if it isn't working, the only thing I can think of is you didn't specify the 360's MAC address in your router configuration.

If you did set the MAC address, and it still doesn't work.. buy a new router. Preferably one that runs on Linux (so you can flash something like Tomato onto it).

Good luck
    He doesn't need a new router, because this WRT can be flashed with Tomato. There's some kind of issue with this particular model that makes it a bit harder than other routers to open up the NAT -- which is why most suggestions people mention fail to work -- but the webpage I referenced above describes what he needs to do after flashing with this specific model.

I have the same model and it definitely can be done provided you follow those instructions. Everything else I tried (and believe me, I must have done a hundred searches and read dozens of boards) failed, except the method that site describes.
    Last edited by phantomfriar; 08-30-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post

Good luck
    I didn't set the MAC address so I tried that. After unplugging my router it went to open, so I'll see what happens in the next few days. If not I may use phantomfriars link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    I didn't set the MAC address so I tried that. After unplugging my router it went to open, so I'll see what happens in the next few days. If not I may use phantomfriars link.
    I have the same problem sometimes (also using a WRT54G). Once in a while, I notice it'll say "Moderate" when I'm in the MW2 or Halo 3 multiplayer lobbies. I remember searching around a while ago for info on how to fix it and everyone just says to unplug the router for 1 minute and re-test the network settings in the dashboard.

This always fixes it for me. Doesn't happen often, so it doesn't bother me that much. And even when it says I'm playing with a Moderate NAT connection, I don't notice any difference in Live performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I have the same problem sometimes (also using a WRT54G). Once in a while, I notice it'll say "Moderate" when I'm in the MW2 or Halo 3 multiplayer lobbies. I remember searching around a while ago for info on how to fix it and everyone just says to unplug the router for 1 minute and re-test the network settings in the dashboard.

This always fixes it for me. Doesn't happen often, so it doesn't bother me that much. And even when it says I'm playing with a Moderate NAT connection, I don't notice any difference in Live performance.
    Ya, it doesn't really affect performance in game so it wouldn't be a big deal. It's just that sometimes you cant get in a party with your friends to play because both people are moderate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take the router and throw it in the trash. I had the same problem for years, and to make it more annoying was if 3 360's were all on at the same time, it would switch from open, moderate, or strict whenever it felt like on all 3. Always updated the firmware and tried the custom firmware to no avail. Picked up a new router (can't recall which but won't touch Linksys again because of the fee for customer support) and have never had a problem since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
    Take the router and throw it in the trash.
    Like I already said, there's no need for the OP to throw the router "in the trash." I've had this Linksys model with two 360's and open NAT consistently for over six months -- following those specific instructions on the page I found.

It's the only thing that worked, and is definitely worth the time to actually click on it and try it.