Thread: Neo-Classic Systems and Surround Sound?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Neo-Classic Systems and Surround Sound?

Can semi-older systems like the SNES, Turbo Duo, Saturn, and Dreamcast do any form of surround sound? I have an old surround sound system that I thought about hooking up for my newer systems (360 and Wii) because the speakers on my TV aren't the best. I'm not sure what model the surround sound system is, but it looks almost exactly like this Samsung HT-DM550.

It's older (I want to say from around 2004-2005) so I'm not sure if it can even really work for what I want it to do. Is it worth trying to hook this up?

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any system that outputs stereo is a candidate for matrix-encoded surround (Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro-Logic, etc). As to whether it was actually written into any old games is another thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Ok so you don't need a system with one of those fancy optical cables to get surround sound? It's all how the game was encoded? Good to know.

Tempest

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The older surround format, Dolby Pro-Logic, was derived from a standard stereo signal with no special connections required. There were in fact a number of games from the early 90's that were encoded in Pro-Logic. I know offhand that Samurai Shodown for the SNES was programmed for surround sound. A lot of games from the 32 bit generation were also encoded in Pro-Logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

What about on the Wii and 360? Do I need anything special or can I just use the stereo out (red and white rca jacks)? I have the Xbox AV dongle thing with the stereo and optical out, is there any reason to use the optical out vs the stereo on that?

Tempest

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    What about on the Wii and 360? Do I need anything special or can I just use the stereo out (red and white rca jacks)? I have the Xbox AV dongle thing with the stereo and optical out, is there any reason to use the optical out vs the stereo on that?

Tempest
    The best the Wii can do is Pro-Logic and Pro-Logic II (which requires a newer receiver but is also transmitted through a standard stereo signal).

The Xbox 1 and the 360 can do Dolby Digital (which is a discreet signal for each speaker) over the optical/HDMI connections, but as you know already, you have to have a receiver that can accept that input. In both cases, you can connect the standard stereo outputs from the console to the receiver and you'll get Pro-Logic. I think there are settings in the menus of the Xbox and the 360 where you choose the type of connection you have and it will output the correct signal for your equipment.

I use Dolby Digital for all of my newer consoles that can do it, but every now and then I'll set my receiver to Pro-Logic by accident and it still sounds pretty darned good.
    Last edited by cityside75; 08-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

So let me see if I understand this.

My older systems can do Pro-Logic through the stereo rca connector if game is coded for it.

The Wii can do Pro-Logic II through the stereo rca connector if my receiver can handle it (I believe it can).

The 360 can do Digital through an optical cable.

For the 360, can I do both the optical and HDMI? Currently I use an HDMI cable into the TV, but my receiver doesn't have an HDMI port. It does have an optical port though. Can I have the HDMI cable for video going into my TV and the optical cable (via the dongle) going into my receiver?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Tempest

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So let me see if I understand this.

My older systems can do Pro-Logic through the stereo rca connector if game is coded for it.

The Wii can do Pro-Logic II through the stereo rca connector if my receiver can handle it (I believe it can).

The 360 can do Digital through an optical cable.
    Yes, yes, and yes. Many N64 games support Dolby Surround (an early name for Pro Logic), as do a handful of PS1 and Dreamcast games. Many PS2/ Gamecube games support Dolby Surround/ Pro Logic, and some support Pro Logic II. Look for the Dolby logo on the box. If a game does support surround on these systems, it usually needs to be turned on in the options.

For the 360, can I do both the optical and HDMI? Currently I use an HDMI cable into the TV, but my receiver doesn't have an HDMI port. It does have an optical port though. Can I have the HDMI cable for video going into my TV and the optical cable (via the dongle) going into my receiver?

Thanks for all the help so far!
    I'm 99% certain this is possible, but I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Ok I just checked. I have this system: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-DM1.../dp/B00006L9DV

A little older than the one I linked to, but it should still do surround for everything that can support it right?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I just checked. I have this system: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-DM1.../dp/B00006L9DV

A little older than the one I linked to, but it should still do surround for everything that can support it right?

Tempest
    From the technical details:

# Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS 5.1-channel surround sound decoding
    # Optical digital-audio input accommodates a satellite system or an audio component

So it looks like you're good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

One more question. My game room is small, it's about 10' x 11' and I'm no more than 4 feet away from the TV. Is a surround sound system in such a tiny room overkill or will I notice a big difference from TV speakers?

Tempest

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Compared to the TV speakers the surround sound system will sound a hell of a lot better. I'm in a room about the same size using a WalMart brand 100 Watt system and it makes a difference for all my games. Also above,HDMI carries analog and digital audio signals as well,meaning if you didn't wanna buy the dongle for the HDMI cable and have a optical out on the back of the TV you could use that to go to your receiver. Just be sure to check your TV's audio settings to make sure the optical out port doesn't just output stereo only.
    Last edited by alec006; 08-31-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I've got the dongle coming to me free from a friend so that's not an issue.

Ok I guess I'll have to set this up this weekend and see if I like it or not. I'm sure my wife is going to love it (her craft room is on the other side of the thin wall)

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I got everything hooked up last night. The 360 is in true surround (thanks to the optical cable), but the Wii seems to be only in Stereo. I have the Wii plugged into the TV and then the cable going from the TV Out into the receiver. I then have the receiver set to Dolby Pro Logic II. Is the problem that my receiver is too old to process the signal or do I need to plug the Wii directly into the receiver or something like that?

I also haven't actually tried a game on the Wii yet, just set it to Surround in the Wii menu. Maybe the Wii menu system isn't in Surround?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got everything hooked up last night. The 360 is in true surround (thanks to the optical cable), but the Wii seems to be only in Stereo. I have the Wii plugged into the TV and then the cable going from the TV Out into the receiver. I then have the receiver set to Dolby Pro Logic II. Is the problem that my receiver is too old to process the signal or do I need to plug the Wii directly into the receiver or something like that?

I also haven't actually tried a game on the Wii yet, just set it to Surround in the Wii menu. Maybe the Wii menu system isn't in Surround?

Tempest
    I don't have a Wii, but I suspect that you're only going to get surround on games that support Dolbly Surround/ Pro Logic/ Pro Logic II. You typically have to go into the settings for each individual game and turn on surround, otherwise it will default to stereo. At least, that's how it works with surround capable PS1/ N64/ DC/ PS2/ GC games. It's not like Xbox/ Xbox 360 where you enable Dolby Digital in the system settings and you're set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

But the Wii does have a Surround Sound setting in its system menu. That's why I was wondering. I guess I'll have to pop in a game and see.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Well it appears to be working. I guess you actually need a game to make it work.

Tempest