Thread: GBA Player Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GBA Player Question

Does anyone know what the output resolution on the GBA Player for the GC is? Also, I know that you need the GC disc to boot up the player on the GC, but what about using it as a stand alone console (some obvious modifications needed). I have an idea for a standalone GBA console and am trying to get around the GBA's native resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In comparing Warioware Inc GBA and GC versions, they look identical in the gameplay screens. With the GC component cable, I don't think you could up the resolution past 480p.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm looking to bypass the GC all together. Basically, I want to modify a case (possibly an N64 case) and make it a GBA only console (480P would be cool, but not necessary). I can't use the inside of a GBA as the resolution is only 240 × 160. I'm interested in the resolution coming out of the GBA Player into the GC. I'm assuming it has to be greater than 240 X 160, but I'm not certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The insides of a GBA player are essentially the same as a GBA aren't they? Any higher resolution is going to be scaled.

Here's a consolized GBA that might give you some ideas.
    http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data...sole/index.htm
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

A wild guess, I'd assume somewhere along the line it converts to 480i or 480p. GBA resolution is an unortodox one that presumably near zero TVs support. I can't think of any other device using that. No idea whether the GC GPU would do such a mode either.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    I'm looking to bypass the GC all together. Basically, I want to modify a case (possibly an N64 case) and make it a GBA only console (480P would be cool, but not necessary). I can't use the inside of a GBA as the resolution is only 240 × 160. I'm interested in the resolution coming out of the GBA Player into the GC. I'm assuming it has to be greater than 240 X 160, but I'm not certain.
    An interesting Mod. But if the purpose is to get the cleanest best resolution, I think the unmodded Gamecube 480p component cable route is the best way. Especially if hooking up to a HD.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    An interesting Mod. But if the purpose is to get the cleanest best resolution, I think the unmodded Gamecube 480p component cable route is the best way. Especially if hooking up to a HD.
    I thought of just taking apart a GC and the GBA Player and throwing them in a case, but I really don't want to use a disc system. I just don't want any moving parts.

As far as the scaling goes, does anyone think it's possible to pick up an old 480p scaler to do the trick? Couldn't I essentially just wire it in sequence to spit out 480p? GB->scaler->s-video out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The insides of a GBA player are essentially the same as a GBA aren't they? Any higher resolution is going to be scaled.

Here's a consolized GBA that might give you some ideas.
    http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data...sole/index.htm
    Yeah. I saw that earlier. The use of that scaler is an option for sure.

BTW, sorry for the double p.