Thread: Genesis games not saving ... defective console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Genesis games not saving ... defective console?

I've been collecting Genesis games the past couple years and finally got a console today through Ebay. I sold my first Genesis console in the early 90s. The console is in poor cosmetic condition and the screen has wiggly light and dark lines. Is the spotty screen a console problem or could it be caused by the RF connection? Also, most all of the games, except maybe one or two, aren't properly saving or loading saved games. Is it even possible for this to be caused by a defective or worn console? Or have most Genesis carts lost their save function by now?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Games with loading/saving problems are likely the cartridges themselves. Cleaning them might help. You could also disassemble the cartridge and see if it has an internal battery; if so, replace it. It might also be the console, but I'd take a guess on the actual cartridges first.

Your video issues could be caused by a adapter or it could be the console. Only way to really find out is to try another video adapter.

Worst case scenario: You received a faulty console and you might want to go about trying to get a refund, especially if the seller stated that it worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The screen lines are a thin light line that moves upwards (somewhat like old tv screens used to do when their vertical setting was off) followed by a dark section then another light line, over and over so there's always two light "line" areas on the screen at a time, both moving upwards. I used an RF switch back in the 90s without screen problems, and my NES toploader has screen lines using an RF switch but they're uniform and stationary. A couple games seem to save okay, but the Landstalker saved game was wiped out of memory when I tried loading it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Why used crappy rf box just see if you can get a rgb cable never had a probleam with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    The screen lines are a thin light line that moves upwards (somewhat like old tv screens used to do when their vertical setting was off) followed by a dark section then another light line, over and over so there's always two light "line" areas on the screen at a time, both moving upwards. I used an RF switch back in the 90s without screen problems, and my NES toploader has screen lines using an RF switch but they're uniform and stationary. A couple games seem to save okay, but the Landstalker saved game was wiped out of memory when I tried loading it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    Why used crappy rf box just see if you can get a rgb cable never had a probleam with them.
    Well, not to jump in and reply for the OP, (but I will anyway), based on the fact that he said that he was collecting Genesis, I will assume that he is USA based. I see that you are UK based. Where you are, RGB is pretty much standard while it is much less common in the US. The Genesis would require a mod to get RGB and would seem pointless if the unit doesn't work right.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

i have one of every sega genesis i imported from the us and i use my rgb cables and they work a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Well, not to jump in and reply for the OP, (but I will anyway), based on the fact that he said that he was collecting Genesis, I will assume that he is USA based. I see that you are UK based. Where you are, RGB is pretty much standard while it is much less common in the US. The Genesis would require a mod to get RGB and would seem pointless if the unit doesn't work right.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    i have one of every sega genesis i imported from the us and i use my rgb cables and they work a charm.
    Whoops. My bad. I forgot that the Genesis had RGB pins on the output. I still stand by my other statement that RGB is not very much used in the US.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's been two decades since I owned a Genesis and I'm fairly new to retrogaming so I don't recall what a rgb is. Is it the red/yellow outputs? The owner's manual describes an optional Sega connector which wasn't included so I'd probably need to get that on Ebay. But would an rf cable really cause a pronounced moving, sqiggly screen pattern (not the image itself but the light and dark patterns described above)? I used the Genesis rf hookup in the past without a problem. The console is very soiled and has trouble playing games without inserting them multiple times so it seems to have something wrong with it. I guess I won't know for sure until I get another console though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

RGB is the pure color signals on 3 different cables(red, green, and blue). Most TV's and such in the US don't have RGB inputs.

I would start by cleaning the cartgidge contacts and the cartridge slot of the Genesis. The part about having to reinsert them over and over makes it sound like a good idea anyways. It is also possible that the batteries have gone bad. They are going on 15-20 years now. You can of course replace the batteries in them. It's a bit of work if you're not comfortable with electronics but it's not too hard to do. You can search this forum for plenty of info on how to do it.

The poor video signal sounds like an RF issue to me. What happens if you wiggle it, move the wires around, etc...?
    Last edited by jb143; 09-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Upgrade to composite. All you need is a common cord and a common TV. RGB is what they use in Europe.

As for the cartridges not saving, it seems odd that you have so many that don't save. I wonder if they all had the same owner in the past, and he or she did something to accelerate the deterioration of the batteries inside, like storing them in a moist environment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I wonder if they all had the same owner in the past, and he or she did something to accelerate the deterioration of the batteries inside, like storing them in a moist environment.
    That's actually a pretty good theory. If they were stored in an attic the heat may have gotten to them. Heat is a batteies enemy and can really shorten their life.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    As for the cartridges not saving, it seems odd that you have so many that don't save. I wonder if they all had the same owner in the past, and he or she did something to accelerate the deterioration of the batteries inside, like storing them in a moist environment.
    I bought them all separately on Ebay from different sellers so they're probably not from the same owner. 99% of my NES cartridges still can save so it seems extremely odd that 90%+ of the Genesis carts wouldn't save, unless Genesis carts are notorious for not saving. It seems as though the console is wiping out the saves. Or I could just be very lucky with NES carts and very unlucky with Genesis carts.