Thread: Worried about a sale, looking for some advice.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worried about a sale, looking for some advice.

Hey all, I recently sold an auction for a model 1 sega cd/genesis with controller ( 6 button), about a month ago. seller contacts me on the 31st says he finally got a chance to hook it up and its not working (cd portion that is). Now when I packed it I didn't disconnect any parts I basically unplugged the ac adapters and cables, wrapped the combined unit in a ton of bubble wrap boxed it up with everything and off it went, it was secure in the packaging.

Buyer doesn't even give me a full 24 hrs to respond and files a claim with ebay. Buyer has no history of feedback abuse/scamming according to toolhaus. He wants a replacement which isn't happening model 1 drives don't grow on trees, best hes gonna get is a refund once he sends it back.

Anyone know of any potential hookup issues or anything that would explain it, I wonder if he doesn't know how the drives open on that model. waiting for a response from them at this point so we'll see, but I have a feeling I am gonna get a neg no matter what I do her, if there so quick to jump the gun. Not to mention the fact they've had it almost 3 weeks accordign to delivery and just now hooked it up.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Take the negative if you have to. Three weeks and then complains? I have a feeling that he found a better deal and/or has buyer's remorse. Personally, I'd refuse to work with him at this point. If you have a problem, at least give me some time to help you out. If you don't do so, then I'm not going to take my time to help you. Selfish, sure, but I'm not going out of my way when cases filed now affects seller rating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Did you jot down the serial number on the Sega CD and Sega Genesis?

I fear that the buyer might do a switcharoo and send you a totally different item. I hope not, though.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    Take the negative if you have to. Three weeks and then complains? I have a feeling that he found a better deal and/or has buyer's remorse. Personally, I'd refuse to work with him at this point.
    I agree. If you know for certain that the units worked before shipping, and 3 weeks later it suddenly doesn't work, you're being scammed IMO. 3 weeks is plenty of time to do testing. When I got my retro duo in, I opened it up right away and started playing some SNES games. Not because I don't have a SNES (I have 3), but because I wanted to make sure it worked, and test it out with various games - both 16 and 8 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Did you jot down the serial number on the Sega CD and Sega Genesis?

I fear that the buyer might do a switcharoo and send you a totally different item. I hope not, though.
    This is also a possibility.

Take the negative feedback and offer help to set it up, etc. At this point, you have no idea what that person did to the system, or if they're swapping it on you. For all you know, it'll come back in horrible shape and then you're really screwed out of $$ and a working console.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    This is also a possibility.

Take the negative feedback and offer help to set it up, etc. At this point, you have no idea what that person did to the system, or if they're swapping it on you. For all you know, it'll come back in horrible shape and then you're really screwed out of $$ and a working console.
    Not necessarily. If he receives it back and it's in bad condition, he just has to contact PayPal. PayPal always seems to side with whomever issues the complaint unless there is confirmed evidence to the contrary.

There's another possibility that if it goes to eBay customer support to decide, they might claim that no one is at fault. Issue the buyer a refund, allow them to keep the item, and not punish you. It's happened to me before.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Upadte ont he situation. He filed a claim with ebay the very next day after the e-mail. So they put a hold on the amount in my paypal account automatically. I didn't make a note of the serial number, but i can tell if its the same system, I owned it for almost 10 years so its not like I resold it etc for a flip.

I contacted him asked him what was going on etc because model ones do require a little bit to open etc compared to model 2. He then acted as if I was treating him like an idiot for even asking that, then said well i have owned a model 2 x'eye etc. I said yeah and again there all pop open systems. He said there not getting power etc. Wanted a replacement system, yeah as if model 1 sega cd systems are just widely available and I have stacks of them....

I told ebay he wants to send it all back he can get a refund, haven't heard anything back yet.

"I finally got my gameroom in order and had the chance to hook up the Genesis and CD system, but it does not work. The Genesis itself plays fine, but the CD system does not, I have tried switching power supplies and even borrowed another power supply from my friend's Genesis. The CD system does not power on at all, I have tried with 3 different Genesis systems. I would like a replacement for the CD system please. Or I could return everything to you. I would much rather have the CD replacement system though."

"I only have so many days to submit a claim with ebay, it's not a complaint, simply a claim to state my issues. The CD System does not power on, there are no lights and nothing on screen. If I put a Genesis game in it plays the Genesis game, if I remove the Genesis game and power it on, the CD system does not power on at all. I have owned a Sega CD 2 system as well as CDX and X'Eye before in the past. I know how to use them and I know when it's not working. I understand these systems are not very common. Everything looked good in the box and I left it in the box in the closet while I got my game room in order. Until the other day when I finally got it all hooked up and found that the Sega CD portion does not work."

Now I don't think hes trying to scam me, but it's just very hard to believe a system that was working before shipped suddenly isn't. Especially when all he had to do was plug in the ac adapters, but we'll see. Part of business is dealing with things like this
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618