Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "Real" Worst Console Ever

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an R-Zone, and I would have to agree that it's the worst console ever.

With the Studio II, you get some passable games. The R-Zone doesn't have games, it has wannabe Tiger handheld carts that you see through a mirror. You probably couldn't even port Pong to it properly, unless the ball could only be in 9 possible positions because every sprite was physically etched into the cart. Seriously, there is nothing redeeming about the R-Zone. I'd rather play a Pop Station - it's the same thing except you don't look quite as dorky while you make an attempt to play it. There was a handheld R-Zone, and I've heard it sold better, but I never say any for sale.

Virtual Boy does have a few good games. It also has a nice sound chip, in my opinion. When I think of VB, the audio is what comes to mind. 32X and Jaguar are decent too. The problem was that so called "bad consoles" didn't showcase the right content. Imagine a 32X RPG. A "bad console" should have truly horrible design and hardware, like the R-Zone. If you literally CANNOT make a decent game for a piece of hardware, then it deserves to be hated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I won't sell anyone a broken piece of Crap.
    The voice module did not work.

Rick

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 2007 View Post
    I won't sell anyone a broken piece of Crap.
    The voice module did not work.

Rick
    The voice module will only work if you have games that make use of it... no other way. Perhaps you didn't have any that worked with it and thought it to be broken?

PROTIP: Just because you find a system broken doesn't mean that the system in and of itself is terrible. I find plenty of broken PS2 and NES systems, but they're great systems. Don't judge the quality of something by how poorly the previous owner maintained it.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone played Resident Evil 2 on the Game.com? Resident Evil 2 is obviously a AAA title on the PSX, how does it translate over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Would it really be fair to post a pre-Golden Age "Pong System" from some nobodies as a "Worst"?

I kinda feel like part of the "worst" aspect is not just how bad it is on a purely objective scale (If we went by that, certain Tiger Handhelds and hardly-working duds would be easy tops), but also the more subjective "disappointment" factor - the thing that keeps things like the Sega 32x and the Nintendo Virtual Boy at the tops of many people's lists is how there were many "high expectations" that were not realized, not just among the companies but the general public.
    The problem with threads like this is that the OP rarely defines boundaries as to what he/she finds to be worth comparison. In regards to modern era consoles (late seventies/early eighties to now) The pong consoles, Tiger handhelds and other such things should not be included in comparison with the vast majority of interchangeable media systems. With Pong consoles and cheapo handhelds, the fact that they are defined to be good or bad based on the games in which the creator company supplied onto them makes it seem like an unfair candidate for a console that can be considered absolute shit. The interchangeable media consoles deserve full review as to which are good and bad because the systems are defined by the numerous games made for them by third party companies. A bad console shouldn't be limited to a couple built-in games; It should have a large library of interchangeable shit.
    DERP

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    Has anyone played Resident Evil 2 on the Game.com? Resident Evil 2 is obviously a AAA title on the PSX, how does it translate over?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkmvwGMN4

Never played the Game.com or R-Zone. Might have to now as I'm a sucker for crappy stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did someone up there say the VB had AAA titles? C'mon, I know it's one of the most popular "bad systems" but triple A games? Nah, I didn't see anything close to that. AAA would be something like SMW, Soul Calibur, Halo, GTA, Metal Gear, etc. Not a trash bag that just happens to smell better than all the other bags sitting int he driveway. It's still a bag of trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Win, except I would reverse those two.

Seriously, no one contest that the R-Zone is the worst system ever.

NO ONE.

R-Zone
    ActionMax
    Game.com
    CD-i

And then it gets a little fuzzy with ties after that.

-Rob
    Everyone talks shit about CDi. I'm not saying it's not a terrible system, but it does have a few redeeming games.

What about the RDI Halcyon? It only had two games, one of which is okayish but available on other systems, the other I haven't played but it's some FMV football game.

How about that Amstrad console that only came out in Europe?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    Did someone up there say the VB had AAA titles? C'mon, I know it's one of the most popular "bad systems" but triple A games? Nah, I didn't see anything close to that. AAA would be something like SMW, Soul Calibur, Halo, GTA, Metal Gear, etc. Not a trash bag that just happens to smell better than all the other bags sitting int he driveway. It's still a bag of trash.
    You must not be a big Wario fan like me
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Seriously, no one contest that the R-Zone is the worst system ever.
    I have the Super Screen. It's just a Tiger handheld game with cartridges. Unless you REALLY don't like Tiger handheld games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    popularised CD console gaming...no, PC Engine did this not....
    You are receiving this notification because Idiotic Tom Post Notification is enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I love this graphic so much...

How embarrassing!
    I actually have the book with a picture of the thing. You can view the page, along with an embarrassing picture of the device running here.

The whole Computer Graphics Primer is very interesting reading. Dated but awesome.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Sorry I missed this one 12 years ago.

I'd have to agree on the RCA Studio II being the worst system ever. Sure, the R-Zone was just as bad (and almost two decades newer) but at $29.99 in 1995, it would be the equivalent of $57.52 today; that's about the price of a new game. And it had a larger game library.

The Studio II came out at $149.95. That's $723.31 today! It couldn't even play Pong right. Atari's Super Pong went for about $80 ($385.87 today) and was in color and played several variants of PONG fluently.
    Hmmm... what did you get for your extra $337.44? Instead of 4 PONG variants that worked well and displayed in color, you got 5 games: Addition, Bowling, Doodle, Freeway and Patterns.
    Addition? This is not a game. Bowling, Doodle, and Freeway were piss-poor versions of what they were supposed to represent, while Patterns was sort of built off Doodle. I mean, there's more variety, but $337.44 is a punishing price to pay to get 5 bad games (even for the time) instead of 4 variants of one good game.
    Additional games were about $20 ($96.47 today). Buy a Studio II and 3 carts and you're already over a grand in today's money!

Maybe if the Studio II and its games were half the price then it wouldn't be the worst ever. But the Studio II had a devastatingly high price for something so primitive for its time. For the price of the Studio II and one cartridge, you could get the Fairchild Channel F. Additional carts were that same $20, or $96.47 today, but at least they played like earlier versions of Atari 2600 games as opposed to black and white slideshows at 3 frames per second.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The R-zone we all knew it was garbage even before we brought it and that is why it never went past five games and that being said it was a new form of technology and thus interesting at the time.

The worst game system ever created was the N64.

1. It was Nintendo looking for an alternative when the deal between SONY and them Fell apart. A deal made from even before the creation of the SNES.
    2. Nintendo backstabbed SONY and went to an American company just to compete against them.
    3. Even before that came the Philips CD-i, which was not even in the picture.
    4. Yes the N64 should had great games but the point is that it should not exist ( as witht he Cd-i ).

It is like Nintendo was a guy who wanted an abortion so badly and Sony was the lady who just had to have it's baby. Then Nintendo out of rage and frustration made two children called CD-i and 64.
    CD-i was smashed underneath a rock like Piggy from "Lord of the flies" and the press found out about 64 so Nintendo just praised 64 when in reality he knew he just wanted the SNES all to himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

R-zone might get my vote as well.
    Prior to the R-zone the Adventurevision was my pick. The Adventurevision gets an A for case design gets an F for gameplay.
    Somehow the R-zone feels just as bad even though it was released many years later and the system design doesn’t look nearly as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

In some ways the Atari 7800.

Its technology was good and it had potential but the horrible way it was handled by the (grrr!) Tramiels doomed it to one big disappointment.

However, homebrewers have created some truly superb games for it, showing what it could do- just as Opcode showed what the ColecoVision could really do. Had such games and that sort of overall quality existed for it then the NES would have had trouble penetrating the American market. Joust, Mario Bros., Pac-Man Collection, Space Invaders Collection, etc. not to mention Lord of the Dungeon...and Super Donkey Kong Jr. showed its games could have been complete. What's more check out the homebrewed Gorf for the Atari 2600, it looks better than the ColecoVision version so imagine what the CV version could have looked like- plus complete.

Oh well.

One could also add the Telstar Arcade to the list. It was fun in its way but its design greatly limited the kinds of games it could have.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aswald For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (03-31-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wow...Aswald! Welcome back!

As I've never experienced R-Zone (which looked like it should have been aborted and flushed from the get go) I have to say RCA Studio II. Compared with what was out there at the time, why would I want to use buttons on the console to play the few games it offered? You'd have to be huddled close to the console, which gets a little more intimate when you play against another person. One could argue that same lack of space with other Pong-style consoles but all you had was a dial. That gave you more room to not necessarily be shoulder-to-shoulder against your opponent. On top of that, you had to push those buttons kinda hard to do anything (or that could have been the console I had back in the 1990's...I dunno.) For me the only good thing about it was that its switch box could be used to power the 4-port Atari 5200 I bought at a thrift store. I still have that switch box too...not sure why I kept it.

The Telstar Arcade, while limited, offered experiences that used the unique controls. Granted I never played anything beyond the first cartridge (and I was probably 4 at the time-the light gun didn't work well and I had to pull the hammer back to register a shot). And if I'm not mistaken it was in color as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The LJN Video Art

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The past few years have not been good. Hence the absence.

Well, having been around since the days of "Pong" you must keep in mind that it's all a case of add an inch to an inch you have 100% more, but add that same inch to a mile and what do you have?

The RCA Studio 2 WAS awesome because back then anything was. The Telstar Arcade was nifty, especially considering the arcade scene of its time. When crude color was added to those Pong consoles we were amazed, just as colored plastic overlays to black and white games were terrific. We loved "Comp 4" and that Coleco handheld football game with the little red blips. In retrospect things like the Telstar Arcade were not especially good because they were too limited.

Back then it was new territory, so it wasn't hard to impress. It was also a time where innovation was much easier, but each time someone comes up with something new that is one less new thing someone else can come up with. You might look at most games from the 1970's and laugh but back then it was pure magic. You cannot judge such things by today's standards because one day the very best we have today could be garbage tomorrow.

Yet we also have hit a sort of ceiling in many ways. If you want to program a sexy game today you cannot do that much better than "DOA Volleyball" from 2002- now try that twenty years before in 1982, or even 1992. Today's consoles simply enhance what existed before. A gamer from 2002 appearing in a Gamestop today would not be as impressed as a gamer from 1982 appearing in 2002.

The next big step will either be some kind of holographic gaming or, more likely, "virtual reality" beyond what they were talking about back in the 1990's. That is a place I will not go because it will be much too dangerous, especially in this dystopia we currently live in.

"Worst consoles" to me would be more along the lines of "had potential but let its owners down." This is why the Atari 7800 would count: it became all too clear that the Tramiels never had any intention of giving it any serious support, and this applied to the Jaguar as well. If the RCA Studio 2 had for some reason gotten serious support- largely games like "Tetris," RPGs, puzzle games, basic arcade games, etc.- then it would have actually been a better console than the Jaguar for example.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I think I have found the absolute worst piece of garbage console ever released...

The Commodore 64 Games System (C64GS).

It's ironic that one of the best game machines of all time (the Commodore 64 computer) got turned into the worst video game console ever.

The design decisions of the C64GS piss me off to no end. It sold for the same price as the computer, but it intentionally had most of its functionality removed. It couldn't take a disk drive or cassette tape drive because the case design intentionally blocked access to those ports. They were still there - the computer was the same internally. Still, the C64 had a vast library of cartridge games, right? Well, those games still required a keyboard so you could enter the load command code in. The C64GS had no keyboard, and you couldn't add one (remember, case design). So you were effectively locked out of the C64 games library with the exception of a few newly released games that were designed specifically to work with the C64GS (read: no load command). Even the pack in game required a load command, so those who bought the C64GS popped it in and found themselves staring at the load command entry screen, unable to proceed further.
    So that's why the C64GS is the worst game console of all time. The whole premise was taking one of the best games machines ever made, that happened to also be a very capable computer for its time, and make the user unable to play 98% of its games or access any of its computer functionality. It would be like selling a brand new Honda Accord except all the gears except first didn't work and the passenger's seat, rear seats, stereo, glove box, cupholders, air conditioning, heating, etc were all blocked off so you could only drive it at slow speeds by yourself.
    And that's not even getting into the fact that even if it had been properly designed, it released too late. By the time it came out, December 1990, the 16-bit era had arrived and there was no room in the console market for a $200 machine with NES-level graphics of any kind. The C64 computer could still sell at that price because it was a cheap budget computer, good for kids, for instance.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.