Thread: DB9 Splitter (two controllers in one port)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default DB9 Splitter (two controllers in one port)?

I recently obtained a Colecovision from a trade (thanks Zektor!) and I quickly realized that I need to use another controller in order to play the console properly. This is because of the "joystick" knob being too tight. However, I still need the controller to choose a game version using the numeric keypad.

I recall seeing a cable that connects two controllers to one port, though a quick Ebay search yields the opposite: one controller for two ports. It might be on Ebay, but since I don't know the correct search term, I come out empty.

I even thought about getting a DB9 splitter like the one below, but I'm not quite sure if it will work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-Serial-DB9...item43a151e402

Does anyone have any information about this type of cable? Any sort of compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

There are molded cables like this, made for the 2600 I believe, enabling you to have a couple different controllers plugged in at the same time.

I'm not a Coleco guy, but I think you can choose game version with the second controller, but the method you suggested with a splitter should work fine as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I recently obtained a Colecovision from a trade (thanks Zektor!) and I quickly realized that I need to use another controller in order to play the console properly. This is because of the "joystick" knob being too tight. However, I still need the controller to choose a game version using the numeric keypad.
    How can a joystick knob be too tight? And how would that impede being able to use the keypad?

Like Vectorman0 said, you can use the keypad of a controller plugged into the second controller port to select and start your games.

Edit - Nevermind, I think your just saying you dislike the feel of the controller. Not sure why I was confused at first. I mostly use a 2600 or Genesis controller with a Colecovision controller in port 2 for the keypad. I hate the standard controller as well.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-04-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    There are molded cables like this, made for the 2600 I believe, enabling you to have a couple different controllers plugged in at the same time.

I'm not a Coleco guy, but I think you can choose game version with the second controller, but the method you suggested with a splitter should work fine as well.

this

i have a coleco controller in socket 2 for game selection, and simpy use a standard atari joystick for gameplay. there arent a ton of games that use the keypad during the game