Thread: My PSN Account Hacked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My PSN Account Hacked

Well, I just dealt with a big headache. Logged into my email and found 8 emails from the PSN for account purchases. 6 were for account funds being added to my wallet, and 2 were for multiple purchases.

$300 was added to my PSN account wallet and $260 worth of games/media was purchased. Funny thing was I am in Cleveland and have been for the last 48 hours and all these purchases/funds request were made this morning at 8:45am and ended by 8:48.

Called Sony they gave me the run around and acted like they were helping resolve the issue. Basically, they told me I must have "given my password to a friend" and he must have done it, or someone was playing with my PS3 without my knowledge. Both are impossible, but the guy told me the issue was resolved as he had me change my password and remove my credit card info. He then informed me that my account would be flagged and most likely banned for the purchases. So when I asked how to fix it, he said "Uhhhh well you'll have to wait and see" getting nowhere I got back to my vacation (which included an awesome Weird Al concert I just got back from).

Good news, I called the credit card company and flagged the purchases and I should be alright from now on. Bad news Sony is f'n me over on the damn account issue although I was given a reference number.

Bottom line watch your accounts and do not keep your credit card info on your PS3 etc. Anyone else have related stories?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So.

Do you have any thoughts on how it could have happened?

Somebody would have to know your PSN login (which is an email address, not your PSN screen name) and your password.

Were you logging into the PSN forums with that data on some public computer where it could've been logged/extracted?

If it wasn't a "friend" who had access to your info, that would be my guess on how that data could've been compromised.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you authorized on another PS3? It could be that happened and one of your friends decided to purchase games on your account.

But yeah, I never leave my credit card info on my account. Mainly because I rarely buy anything off PSN.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Something similar happened to me this past spring with my iTunes account.

I had several $30-$40 transactions over the course of 2 months. The very short version of the story (according to Apple) is that my account somehow got mistakenly "linked" with another account. Someone was validly ordering music and my account and CC were the ones being charged.

I filed chargebacks with my credit card company and got all the money refunded. I had Apple suspend my iTunes account and I've never gotten it reinstated...I'm afraid the same thing would happen again. There were multiple times Apple told me the problem was "fixed" only to have the songs/albums charged to my account again and again. I was so close to closing the CC account it was getting so ridiculous.

What's really infuriating is the fact that you can't remove CC info from iTunes/XBL/PSN. Sure, they say you can...but it still pops up years later. Even closing the CC account doesn't always help. Consumerist has stories of people getting collections calls from these places years/months after the accounts are closed (essentially "new" charges on closed credit card accounts).
    Last edited by heybtbm; 09-04-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is why I delete my billing information after every purchase I make.

Just delete your credit card from the info when done purchasing, simple as that. I also never keep my ps3 as "auto logon" just in case it got stolen or something. These are general safety measures, it seems like Sony has done all they can, you can only blame yourself for not being precautious.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gaara_Of_the_Sand's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont buy a playstation. problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Gaara_Of_the_Sand View Post
    Ummm...yeah....

You do know that can happen on the Xbox 360, right?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Go back to Gamefaqs. Problem solved.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know a long story about a PS3 getting hacked, and its name is Chris-chan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    So.

Do you have any thoughts on how it could have happened?

Somebody would have to know your PSN login (which is an email address, not your PSN screen name) and your password.

Were you logging into the PSN forums with that data on some public computer where it could've been logged/extracted?

If it wasn't a "friend" who had access to your info, that would be my guess on how that data could've been compromised.
    No I'm actually the only person I know friend wise that has a PS3, the others all only have xbox 360. Also I do not go to PSN forums etc (not an online player). I called Sony back today and they told me they have had several complaints lately over this and they are working on a patch for it. Basically, someone is using a software glitch to capture logins etc.

They told me their is a process to reclaim my banned account and it will only take a few emails/phone calls to fix. (B.S. I'm sure) I've deleted my account CC info that was left on their for a long time and made sure to change my password etc.

The good news is the credit card company called today and officially said the charges will be reversed and I will not have to pay them. Clearly anyone that knows my game style would see a problem with the games they purchased:
    Army of 2: 40th Day (I had already played this on 360)
    Dante's Inferno PSP (Sold my PSP last year)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (I cannot stand stealth games)
    God of War: Chains of Olympus (I do not like GOW games)
    Tekken 6 (Again no PSP)
    FF VIII (Not an RPG guy)
    Etc, plus some BS tv shows I'd never watch.

My question is how do I delete these items from my download list?

As for the Cleveland vacation lol that video was funny but untrue. Lots to do in Cleveland you just have to know where to look. If anyone every drops by Bad Fish Blue, The Winking Lizard Tavern, Houligans, Harry Buffalo, Sushi Rock, 1800, West St. Grille, etc are must eat at locations plus dozens more. I wanted to stop at the Bodies Exhibit where they have the cadavers on display in various action sequences etc (I managed to get a flat tire today so I missed the body exhibit much to my dismay as I had to get towed back home). The theatre district also is great with several good shows this year (Les Mis, West Side Story, South Pacific etc are coming), not to mention several movie theaters and one of the best foreign/indie film cineplexes I have ever seen. Tower City is good for some shopping, the famers market is also a must for the beef jerky! (The best fresh beef jerky I've ever had) They also have several festivals like Taste of Cleveland highlighting cultural foods, and the upcoming beer week which highlights micro breweries and eateries around the region. Seriously, very underrated for the vast amount of things to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    I know a long story about a PS3 getting hacked, and its name is Chris-chan.
    Sorry for the double post, but I saw this and almost choked on my ramen noodles lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Go back to Gamefaqs. Problem solved.
    This.

Last thing we need on this forum is another fanboy like that.
    DERP

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Go away I hate you. HATE you.

Sorry to hear about this. I had my credit card number stolen seven or eight years ago, and I'm therefore cautious about who I trust the numbers with. Paypal for online stuff, and points cards for the consoles.

Sony does suck at the whole PS3 customer service thing though. When my 60gig's BR drive died, I ended up having a local store repair it instead of Sony because they 'couldn't guarantee' I'd get a BC model in return if I mailed it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, this story stinks. I hope your account doesn't stay banned because of this. I might cry if I lost all my precious trophies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mnbren05 View Post
    No I'm actually the only person I know friend wise that has a PS3, the others all only have xbox 360. Also I do not go to PSN forums etc (not an online player). I called Sony back today and they told me they have had several complaints lately over this and they are working on a patch for it. Basically, someone is using a software glitch to capture logins etc.

They told me their is a process to reclaim my banned account and it will only take a few emails/phone calls to fix. (B.S. I'm sure) I've deleted my account CC info that was left on their for a long time and made sure to change my password etc.

The good news is the credit card company called today and officially said the charges will be reversed and I will not have to pay them. Clearly anyone that knows my game style would see a problem with the games they purchased:
    Army of 2: 40th Day (I had already played this on 360)
    Dante's Inferno PSP (Sold my PSP last year)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (I cannot stand stealth games)
    God of War: Chains of Olympus (I do not like GOW games)
    Tekken 6 (Again no PSP)
    FF VIII (Not an RPG guy)
    Etc, plus some BS tv shows I'd never watch.

My question is how do I delete these items from my download list?

As for the Cleveland vacation lol that video was funny but untrue. Lots to do in Cleveland you just have to know where to look. If anyone every drops by Bad Fish Blue, The Winking Lizard Tavern, Houligans, Harry Buffalo, Sushi Rock, 1800, West St. Grille, etc are must eat at locations plus dozens more. I wanted to stop at the Bodies Exhibit where they have the cadavers on display in various action sequences etc (I managed to get a flat tire today so I missed the body exhibit much to my dismay as I had to get towed back home). The theatre district also is great with several good shows this year (Les Mis, West Side Story, South Pacific etc are coming), not to mention several movie theaters and one of the best foreign/indie film cineplexes I have ever seen. Tower City is good for some shopping, the famers market is also a must for the beef jerky! (The best fresh beef jerky I've ever had) They also have several festivals like Taste of Cleveland highlighting cultural foods, and the upcoming beer week which highlights micro breweries and eateries around the region. Seriously, very underrated for the vast amount of things to do.
    To answer your question - you can't "delete" items from a PSN download history. Just don't re-download them if you've had charges reversed in your favor and it shouldn't be a problem.

All of those items look to be PSP purchases.

A bit of a long shot, but you say that you sold your PSP last year ...

... if you had left your PSN log-in data on that PSP (and have your credit card data saved on your PS3/PSN account) it wouldn't so much have to do with your data being "stolen" but "used" (without your knowledge or permission) via one of your "active" PSN devices that you have your log in data stored on.

Did you completely wipe your PSP clean or do a factory restore before selling it?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

To answer your question - you can't "delete" items from a PSN download history. Just don't re-download them if you've had charges reversed in your favor and it shouldn't be a problem.

... if you had left your PSN log-in data on that PSP (and have your credit card data saved on your PS3/PSN account) it wouldn't so much have to do with your data being "stolen" but "used" (without your knowledge or permission) via one of your "active" PSN devices that you have your log in data stored on.

Did you completely wipe your PSP clean or do a factory restore before selling it?
    This. I repair PS3's and you would be surprised as to how many people leave their PSN details and passwords saved on the console (in cases where they have the chance to remove them; ex: disc drive issues).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually never had a chance to use it online inconjunction with my PS3. I did do a factory reset as I had been on ebay etc other places. I assumed this wiped everything, but that has me wondering now if something was left on there. Oh well, I'll keep an eye glued to the credit card from now on and hope nothing else pops up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I actually never had a chance to use it online inconjunction with my PS3. I did do a factory reset as I had been on ebay etc other places. I assumed this wiped everything, but that has me wondering now if something was left on there. Oh well, I'll keep an eye glued to the credit card from now on and hope nothing else pops up.
    You wouldn't have needed to sync it with your PS3.

If you have your credit card info saved on your PSN account and you had ever logged in to your PSN account on the PSP and selected an option to save the login data, that probably would've been enough to get back into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they told me I must have "given my password to a friend" and he must have done it, or someone was playing with my PS3 without my knowledge. Both are impossible
    As someone who worked in tech and customer support for around 10 years, a statement like that wouldn't even make me flinch. Do you know how many times I have heard a complaining user claim it wasn't their fault? "I don't know how that could happen", etc. In probably every case, it was, indeed, either directly or indirectly the user's fault. CSRs quickly learn to not believe anything the caller says.