Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The games that are not triple-A are not profitable anymore."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "The games that are not triple-A are not profitable anymore."

So says some dude from Ubisoft.

This raises a lot of questions, though. I mean, what does "triple-A" really mean, anyway?

Does anyone else remember last year's E3, when Ubisoft spent a substantial portion of their keynote talking about how successful their Imagine series has been? Does this guy think the Imagine games are "triple-A"? Or have they suddenly ceased to make any profit? Is Just Dance a "triple-A" title? Or did Ubisoft figure out a way to lose money on it?

How does he reckon companies like Taito, Treasure, The Adventure Company, Agetec, et al stay in business?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is Ubisoft, who cares. They lost my cred after the whole used games, and licensing debacle.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Triple A" seems to be the video game equivalent of "Hollywood blockbuster" in films. It's whatever game is big budget and heavily advertised.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I think we can chalk this up to another executive opening his mouth when his PR handlers were too far away to stop him. Considering games like Castle Crashers, Monday Night Combat, Limbo, Everyday Shooter, Braid, Puzzle Quest, the Tell Tale adventure games, Shatter, the Pixeljunk games, Canabalt, Angry Birds, Etrian Odyssey, Persona, Tilt To Live, Espgaluda II, Pain, I made a game with zombies in it, Dishwasher, Shank, Deadly Premonition, Earth Defense Force 2017, Onechanbara, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Y's 7 exist, we can be fairly certain he's mistaken.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 09-07-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    2D Dot Game Heroes
    3D Dot Game Heroes had a prequel?

Ubisoft is crap though. Whenever they release anything it's just another game that I won't give a second thought about picking up(atleast until I see them actually release something good.) The only thing I commend Ubisoft on this generation is releasing Armored Core For Answer but I would have rather have had Agetec do the publishing.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-07-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ubisoft sucks. Their only respectable titles for me are the first two Rayman games and maybe Beyond Good & Evil (I only hear its an exceptional game, haven't actually played that one yet, however.) Most of their games probably won't even be profitable in the near future, because most of their shit is just like every other modern game series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ubisoft is responsible for my favorite new series this generation, Assassin's Creed, but this is still a really stupid thing for this dude to say.

Triple A titles are still the big money makers (duh), but just like independent films, smaller games still do really well.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look heres the deal..... I could make a Hanna Montana game and poop in the box and sell it at retail for $59.99, and people would buy the sequel regardless I pooped in the box....why?

Cause people buy games from name recognition alone! Not everyone cares about triple A, this guy is a moron and i'm sure he has pooped in a few boxes and made profit. Maybe he just needs to start coming up with some more clever names for his poopy games like Super Mole Goes to Party Town or something like that, that would turn a few heads and i'm sure Mole people would buy it.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any company that cancels Beyond Good and Evil 2 doesn't deserve attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Any company that cancels Beyond Good and Evil 2 doesn't deserve attention.
    That was just a rumour. The game's still in development, just keeping quiet for now.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one is going to mention the 800lb gorilla in the room, shovelware?

Doh!

If it not profit, it would cease to exist. The shovelware is definitely out there. It's unstoppable!

This is what a company that invests their budget mainly into "AAA" treated games wants you and stockholders to think. So when they blow a huge load of development and marketing on a Trip-A-Turd it has a predefined justification and they can keep their jobs.

Ubisoft and THQ, comrades in bullshit.

Harry Cohn was quoted to say, "The shorts fund the features." at Columbia Pictures in the 30's.

What they need is to give something bargain priced like shovelware, but with more quality and value for the same price while keeping the cost to a minimum. Call it spadeware.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-07-2010 at 08:20 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    So says some dude from Ubisoft.

This raises a lot of questions, though. I mean, what does "triple-A" really mean, anyway?

Does anyone else remember last year's E3, when Ubisoft spent a substantial portion of their keynote talking about how successful their Imagine series has been? Does this guy think the Imagine games are "triple-A"? Or have they suddenly ceased to make any profit? Is Just Dance a "triple-A" title? Or did Ubisoft figure out a way to lose money on it?

How does he reckon companies like Taito, Treasure, The Adventure Company, Agetec, et al stay in business?
    It seems like this thread should be merged with the other thread on used games. The lines of argument are pretty similar since several people took the position that the way to be profitable is to make smaller games.

In any event, companies like Treasure, The Adventure Company, Agetec, etc...may be somewhat successful small businesses, but unless you expect EA, Ubisoft, Sega, etc...to lay off hundreds or even thousands of people, they are not viable business models for larger companies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's exactly right. Look at a title on Wii called "Little King's Story". Read reviews on it, everyone gives it a 9/10 if not better. Everyone that plays it rants and raves about how good it is.

Yet that didn't translate into sales and it will probably go without a sequel. It's a shame because everyone that plays it wants a sequel, yet there are no sales to justify it. It's better in every way, shape, and form than Pikmin (a similar 1st party Nintendo game) but yet Pikmin got a sequel and may even have a 3rd incarnation on the Wii.

Look at the post above which lists plenty of good games. But how many of those games were profitable? None. Companies don't really care about how good the game is, they care about how many games it sells. Every publisher would rather make the next CoD that sells millions of copies rather than some sleeper hit that gets 9/10 stars and sells a hundred thousand.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really care what Ubisoft says. Their asshole stance on piracy has made me weary of supporting their games. I'll still probably pick up Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for PS3, but any new IPs I'll be less likely to pick up if I see Ubisoft on the cover. Especially if it's a PC game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've lost respect for Ubisoft after that rather mediocre reboot of Prince of Persia game they released, so I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    He's exactly right. Look at a title on Wii called "Little King's Story". Read reviews on it, everyone gives it a 9/10 if not better. Everyone that plays it rants and raves about how good it is.

Yet that didn't translate into sales and it will probably go without a sequel. It's a shame because everyone that plays it wants a sequel, yet there are no sales to justify it. It's better in every way, shape, and form than Pikmin (a similar 1st party Nintendo game) but yet Pikmin got a sequel and may even have a 3rd incarnation on the Wii.

Look at the post above which lists plenty of good games. But how many of those games were profitable? None. Companies don't really care about how good the game is, they care about how many games it sells. Every publisher would rather make the next CoD that sells millions of copies rather than some sleeper hit that gets 9/10 stars and sells a hundred thousand.
    THIS.

How many GREAT games have not translated into sales? Dozens this generation, probably even more. Boy and His Blob, Zack and Wiki, Deathsmiles, BlazBlue, Madworld, etc.

If they aren't even selling enough new copies to cover their licensing/development costs, then that game is a failure, no matter how good it is. Blockbuster games, assuming they don't crash and burn, do pay for themselves, and allow the companies to put out these other games that do crash and burn. Put out too many of the latter without enough of the former, however, and your company is in trouble.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    No one is going to mention the 800lb gorilla in the room, shovelware?

Doh!

If it not profit, it would cease to exist. The shovelware is definitely out there. It's unstoppable!

This is what a company that invests their budget mainly into "AAA" treated games wants you and stockholders to think. So when they blow a huge load of development and marketing on a Trip-A-Turd it has a predefined justification and they can keep their jobs.

Ubisoft and THQ, comrades in bullshit.

Harry Cohn was quoted to say, "The shorts fund the features." at Columbia Pictures in the 30's.

What they need is to give something bargain priced like shovelware, but with more quality and value for the same price while keeping the cost to a minimum. Call it spadeware.
    Actually, I find this all interesting given that Ubisoft seems to be doing exactly that. They were behind the very indie-feeling Scott Pilgrim game, and recently announced the wonderful-looking Outland - not exactly AAA games. That the Ubisoft CEO is saying this now is strange to me, and either means that he's divorced from the parts of the company that makes those decisions or that it isn't panning out for them financially.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post

I haven't even heard of Little King's Story before, and it's apparently made by Cing(a company who's games I mostly enjoy). They really need to advertise their games better, then more people would buy them. The only game by them that has a wide distribution is Hotel Dusk, every other game by them isn't promoted that well.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I haven't even heard of Little King's Story before, and it's apparently made by Cing(a company who's games I mostly enjoy). They really need to advertise their games better, then more people would buy them. The only game by them that has a wide distribution is Hotel Dusk, every other game by them isn't promoted that well.
    You're a little late for the party. Cing is dead now.

Also, at the OP, Taito is alive because it is owned by Square-Enix. When you're owned by one of the biggest Japanese companies in the industry, you're not going to go down that easily. Same with Hudson, who is owned by Konami.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 09-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    You're a little late for the party. Cing is dead now.
    Mostly dead, but from what I could find it hasn't closed down completely yet.
    http://www.1up.com/news/cing-declares-bankruptcy

The sequel to Hotel Dusk is being released in Europe on September 17th, I'm hoping North America at a later date. I never kept track of their Wii games to closely as I don't have a system, with their DS games I tried to pay more attention.