Thread: 80's Gaming Mags

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 80's Gaming Mags

Check out this lot of gaming mags scored on Craigslist this morning for $50. I can't wait to start working my way through these

Do you guys collect gaming mags? Post some photos. There are a few in this lot I totally forgot about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Nice collection. I don't have any from that era. The oldest I have are the first few GamePro issues with Atari 7800 reviews in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice, I love video gaming mags, I got approx 2500, mostly from UK though. Got some from Germany, and a few from USA.
    I recently took off my magazine section from my RoD, sorry, no pics at the mo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Nice Haul! Video Games was such an under rated mag. I have a few issues, but it was real hard to find in my neck of the woods.

The one good 80's mag that's getting really hard to find is Electonic Fun With Computers And Games. Next to the original EG, EFC&G was my second favorite mag. Yet it looks like no copies made it past the 80's in one piece.

Never see any copies in the wild. I have yet to find any issues in PDF form, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! I have that Video and Arcade Games at the top left, a great read.

Here's a great Video Game magazine Joystik, I have every glossy paged issue. These magazines highlight the great Arcades of the 1980s. Really great glossy pages full of screenshots, a jewel of the day.

Found these PDFs, Merry Christmas!
    http://arcarc.xmission.com/Magazines...0%20Issues%29/

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have a ton in my basement but it seemed as though every couple years when we moved, I lost a stack and I'm now down to nothing. Though maybe they're all in a box somewhere that I don't know about, all I can find now are newer late 90s-early '00 ones, and some old GamePro mags. Every time I look I always find the Sonic 2 blue cover GP first, with it's torn pages and sharpie drawings.

I used to have a ton of EGMs when they were a good inch think.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I have is a good haul of Nintendo Power issues from the NES to N64 era(A lot from the #20's-40's and then 60's-110's, with random issues missing and a huge variance of magazine condition)and some of their specialty books like Top Secret Passwords, and some random.. Gamepros or something from the PSX era.

I actually have a lot of love for my NPs, and it's one of my classic gaming dreams to someday have a collection of issues #1 through #100 in good condition. (More might be considered, but not unless the previous proves to not take up as much space as I fear it will.)

That said, I don't think I've even seen any video game magazines as old as these.. It'd be fascinating to read some of them. I'll have to keep an eye out once I start clawing through the internet for my own collection again.

That said, how do you guys store your magazines? Such things both take up a lot of space, and can be hard to keep in good condition, so I'm always curious as to how other collectors do it.

I'm still stuck with 'cardboard boxes in a safe place', although this makes it highly annoying if I ever actually want to read any..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had that Video & Arcade Games issue in the upper left corner.

& Joystik...yes! My local public library had them!

Gaming mags? I collected a 15 yr run of EGM from 1992-present, complete OPM & PSM runs, & tons of Game Informer. When I was ready to get rid of them due to space issues, NO ONE wanted them, so they got recycled. & dont anyone tell me that was a dumb move, 'cuz you had your chance!
    Last edited by RJ; 09-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Lots are right here at DP http://www.digitpress.com/library/ma...ik/joystik.htm Didn't Stonic scan those? I have all the mags.. maybe I should scan the missing ones. There are existing scans from a guy I know called "DLH" from the mid 90's but they are missing some pages (specifically the ones referencing home consoles)

Nice selection by the way. I love those magazines. Video Games is actually one of my all time favorite magazines.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually got every NP and GamePro from around 90 to 96. They're all boxed up but I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hit CRTGAMER's above link to the Joystik mags, & out of nowhere I remembered the exact issue: July 83 that had the Xevious strategies in it. I havent seen that magazine in 25+ yrs.

Man, you never forget the important things, do you?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's a nice haul.....electronic games is a great title.

i usually try to pick up mags from that era but too hard to find for cheap. i still have stacks from my childhood kicking around somewhere. i was a big SNES kid so i had plenty of Super Play and Super Action (always after more).

well done
    Any tennis videogame is a glorified version of pong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The only magazines I have from that era are a few issues of Marvel Comics' "Blip", which wasn't all that great. My local library used to have Joystik and I read the snot out of them back in '85/86 when I got a VCS with Raiders of the Lost Ark (and had no clue how to play it).

My primary magazine collection goes from the start of the NES era and ends around 1993 or 1994. I just recently "completed" my collection of VG&CE up to when it changed format and name, which I personally don't count. My EGMs only have a few holes in it but that's complete up to 1994 or '95.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Old game mags rule! I don't have any quite as old as those but I do have a collection that I hold dear from the late 80's early 90's.

I have the original Nintendo Fun Club issues and then Nintendo Power from the 1st issue - 100. There are 5 or 6 random issues that I am missing however. I need to reacquire them eventually.

I have the first 2 or 3 years of Sega Visions. I really need to finish my set of these as I'm sure it didn't last much longer after my subscription ran out.

Then there was my favorite multi-format game mag from back in the day; Game Players/Ultra Game Players. I have around 40 consecutive issues. I miss this mag so much and there has never been another mag since that I would anticipate each month like these. Everything in this mag really came together for me. I loved the writers, the humor, the layouts, even their overly complicated review system which I thought was always spot on.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?