Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation Move Impressions at launch and onward...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Playstation Move Impressions at launch and onward...

...while our previous ongoing conversation fell through a space time rift, I'll summarize for the sake of anybody who wants a thread to continue to share their thoughts/opinions on the hardware.

A few DP users, myself included picked up Move hardware and Sports Champions at launch.

Thoughts on the hardware seemed to be that it was ergonomic, easy to set up and use, accurate, and while as expected it functioned similar to the Wiimote and/or Wii Motion Plus, it had some extra layers of functionality that the Wii can not at the present time achieve (spatial depth tracking, integration of on-screen camera display, augmented reality graphics mapping).

Sports Champions seems to be a standout game which similar to Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort highlights some of the best abilities of the hardware.

I also enjoy Tumble, a puzzle game in the style of Boom Blox which does a great job of showing of the spatial depth tracking of the Move Wands.

I didn't like Eye Pet Move Edition based on the fact that it was built around the PS Eye technology, not the Move, and it's more heavily reliant on the PS Eye Camera, which can be flaky at times compared to the more accurate Move hardware.

We also touched on the fact that the Navigation Controller is not used at all in many of the launch titles.

There was some debate as to whether or not the Move setup was worth the price of entry. So far I personally think it is, but I'm the kind of guy that will drop $150 on a 2 player setup for Samba De Amigo for Dreamcast knowing that I'll never be able to use those controllers for anything BUT that game. I'm sure some people have dropped a pretty coin on single-game specific peripherals (Steel Battalion, Buzz Quiz, Flight Sticks, high-end Dance Pads, etc.) that won't see half of the software support that the Move likely will.

Move looks like it's going to get some nice support for the immediate future, and if it sells well, we'll probably see it supported through the rest of the PS3's life.

The hardware works well and it's all in the hands of the developers moving forward.

-----------------

This week's PSN store update added a Move patch for the PSN game High Velocity Bowling. As a huge fan of HVB, I tried the patch out for a few hours and was very VERY frustrated with the "spin" mechanic ... while bowling the ball down the lane is essentially identical to Wii Sports Bowling - the game software appears to be overly sensitive when tracking "spin" put on the bowling ball when twisting the Move wand ... 9 out of 10 times I couldn't get the degree of spin I wanted OR the game would track the spin in the wrong direction. I would HOPE that could be patched in a future update, if not I'll keep playing that game with the DualShock3's motion sensors.

There's also a demo out for Kung Fu Rider ... which I thought while a bit wonky overall was pretty neat. Not worth $40 IMO, but I'll probably snag it when it's on the cheap.

That's all I've got for now, feel free to pick up where we left off ... hopefully this conversation doesn't get vaporized.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

According to VGChartz, the Move sold an estimated 300,000 in the first 10 days. I guess you could say the sales are decent.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm personally waiting for something completely new before I invest in either of the new motion-gaming technologies. Give me something like .hack, where your character accurately reflects your expressions and maneurisms, not this "first-gen" stuff that we've seen on the Wii already.

At the moment, I'm still interested in hearing about how it works for an FPS. I'm still a PC purist, but I would give it a try if it's more accurate than, say, Metroid on Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not much demand over here, at least where I work.

From what I can tell, I was the only one that sold the new PS3 combo w/Move. No others have sold the console nor have they sold the camera and/or Move.

So it's pretty "meh" around here, at least for now.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

At my work, a lot of people are looking at it, and demoing it, but it's basically not selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've set to see it sell out anywhere over here in the UK and there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz about it.

Perhaps, in the eyes of mass consumers who don't care/know about technical details see it as a another Wiimote and therefore as 4 years out of date. Maybe sales will pickup as we near Christmas?
    Last edited by Swamperon; 10-03-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I saw a huge demo kiosk setup at The Garden State Plaza in North NJ over the weekend.

For those that want some hands-on time with the device, I assume it'll be set up similarly at a major shopping mall near you soon.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I know Frankie was talking about this before. Saw it while looking through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MOVE-Champions...91241&sr=1-140

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, It's a bat'leth! Oh wait.. you're telling me that's a bow?

Now that I think about it, I would play a Klingon hand-to-hand combat game if it used the Move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I know Frankie was talking about this before. Saw it while looking through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MOVE-Champions...91241&sr=1-140
    DEAR LORD!

I don't recall talking about that crap unless I was mentioning ridiculous plastic ... crap.

If my memory serves in the previous MOVE thread I did mention the "augmented reality" features where the Playstation Eye actually maps a sword onto your move controller on the screen which is very VERY cool, but that stuff ... come on, did anybody over the age of 5 ever buy that stuff for their Wiimotes? Who the hell do they think are going to buy it for the Move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You mentioned how using an actual ping pong paddle would probably make it easier to play. I was mainly adding that picture because of the ping pong paddle. The rest of the stuff is retarded to even be in there. The other stuff could be given to kids to play with though.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-08-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah, the ping-pong is pretty hyper accurate.

I suppose that add on would help you determine the tilt of the paddle.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I've really been on a light gun game kick lately and was wondering if anyone has been playing Time Crisis with the Move and, if so, how's the accuracy on it....
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I've really been on a light gun game kick lately and was wondering if anyone has been playing Time Crisis with the Move and, if so, how's the accuracy on it....
    I have The Shoot.

It's fun ... I don't personally love the aesthetic of the cardboard targets, reminds me a lot of the Point Blank stages that feature those, and it's a bit on the slow side.

The game is much more about racking up combos of shots landed where you don't miss from target to target.

The speed/accuracy is dead on and I haven't noticed any problems with lag.

I'd like to pick up Time Crisis, but I'm not really interested in paying full price since I've always found that Time Crisis games have little replay value ... that'll be a sale price/used purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Well, I picked up the Move along with Time Crisis and, while the games on it are great, I am having a bitch of a time getting the calibration properly set. I tried everything...camera on top...camera on bottom...closed the blinds, etc. Nothing. I mean it seems good at the calibration screen and then I see the cursor slowly drift off by itself to the left or right! *sigh*

Anybody have any similar incidents or know of any fixes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I've read, that's an issue with Time Crisis, not the Move....and there's no real fix.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I am beyond pissed now. I can not get the Move to calibrate worth shit in Time Crisis so I have had enough with it and want to return what I have for it.

- First off, I bought Time Crisis and a gun attachment from Amazon...they say no full refunds on opened merch. Thanks!

-Secondly, I bought the Move from the Sony Style store in the mall and found out all Playstation products are final sale. Grrrrrrrr. I know I should have paid attention first but still...grrrr.

Now it seems I am stuck with the damn Move...and all I wanted was to play some Time Crisis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Does the crosshair always move or just sometimes? I've heard that it only happens occassionaly and like maxlords said I've heard it was only on Time Crisis.

Resident Evil 5 Gold is compatible with the Move so since you can't really get any Time Crisis in how about the next best thing which is arguably better? It's on sale on Amazon soon. It's on one of the later lightning video game deals of the day today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Does the crosshair always move or just sometimes? I've heard that it only happens occassionaly and like maxlords said I've heard it was only on Time Crisis.

Resident Evil 5 Gold is compatible with the Move so since you can't really get any Time Crisis in how about the next best thing which is arguably better? It's on sale on Amazon soon. It's on one of the later lightning video game deals of the day today.
    On Time Crisis, it's all the time that the cursor moves. When I finish calibrating and hold the gun steady, you literally see the cursor drift away on its' own! lol I tried and tried to play it and, while it goes ok for awhile, it will always drift off on its on and far away from where the gun is pointed...

When I play Sports Champions, it worked pretty damned well actually so I know its moreso the damn Time Crisis game than the Move itself. Sadly, however, I only was interested in playing Time Crisis so it's now of no use to me I love me some Resident Evil, however, I just did not like RE 5 at all. *sigh* Time to try and see if I can sell off the Move.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If it's a software based issue there is a possibility that it could be patched.

Based on the fact that every single review I see mentions it Namco MUST know that it's an issue, and there are a bunch of other Move titles that don't have reticule float issues ... so it's certainly a possibility that there can be a fix.

Instead of rage returning the game and Move why not just put it down until a possible patch is released. Give it a bit and see if Namco gets one out there.

I've read that this version of Time Crisis is also compatible with the PS3 Guncon. You could probably pick one of those up on the cheap if you absolutely MUST have a Time Crisis fix in the meantime.

*EDIT* WAIT WAIT, JUST FOUND A POSSIBLE FIX FOR YOU:

Before you play, disable the magnetometer tracking in the XMB accessory menu by going to the first calibration screen and pressing triangle. This eliminates cursor drift.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-29-2010 at 06:35 PM.