Thread: Tie Fighter - collectors edition - how to play under windows 7?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tie Fighter - collectors edition - how to play under windows 7?

I'm in the mood to play Tie Fighter (collectors edition).

2 problems:

1. I'm using windows 7

2. I want to use my USB control stick - I've had problems using USB control sticks with older games (Descent was a real bastard)

Any suggestions on how to get Tie Fighter running properly? I'd like to avoid Dosbox if possible because it always confuses the hell out of me.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'd like to avoid Dosbox if possible because it always confuses the hell out of me.
    There are frontends that make using it easier if you find it that confusing.

If you have Windows 7 64-bit you won't be able to get it running, period - at least not without a virtual machine, and you really ought to have a thorough go at figuring out DOSBox before you go that route.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

DOSBox is going to be the only way to get this to work.

I could NEVER understand how to add joysticks to it, though. The input mapper never worked for me. I just went back to XPadder and created profiles through it. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DOSBox. I'd suggest D-Fend Reloaded for your front-end. You can use the wizard in D-Fend to add the game. It may work with default settings. You might also check the DosBox compatibilty page for the game to see if users have any suggestions.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the frontend "D-Fend Reloaded." It has a full GUI for configuring game directories, system parameters, and joysticks. There's a few variants of D-Fend, last I checked, so read into it and see how it works for you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello - sorry for the necro-post, but I recently picked up the Tie-Fighter collector's edition on CD. I have Windows7 Pro and I am trying to get the game to run through DosBox, but when I try to install I get the error "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

Any thoughts on how to get this to work in Windows7?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by eppst1 View Post
    I get the error "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."
    You are attempting to run a 32-bit Windows program in DOSBox, for some reason.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Well I thought this game included DOS binaries.

Guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    You are attempting to run a 32-bit Windows program in DOSBox, for some reason.
    Yeah, I think that was my fault. The CE is not a DOS based program, thus it is not working in Dosbox.

But... I did install XP mode onto my machine, got it to install but can't get XP mode to recognize my gamepad (Saitek P2500). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Well I thought this game included DOS binaries.

Guess not.
    The Win95 CD remake version (TIE Fighter for Windows 95) is Win95 and above only, if you want to play it in DOS you need the floppy version or the original CD release, TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM (the DOS version of it). The Win95 remakes of TIE Fighter and X-Wing both use the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter engine, so they have improved graphics versus the original releases, but will not work in DOS, just like XvT itself. (Though, even in the DOS versions the graphics pretty much improve a little in each version -- TIE Fighter CD looks better than TIE Fighter floppy which looks better than X-Wing floppy, etc.)

Also, XvT, TIE Fighter 95, and X-Wing 95 do require a joystick to run, yes. The DOS versions don't -- you can also play with the mouse if you really, really want -- but you don't want to, controls are atrocious that way, which is probably why they just removed it from the next one and went to requiring a joystick (though I do imagine an analog gamepad would work, of course control-wise it'd be nowhere near as good as using an actual joystick. I'm sure the games would be much harder that way.).

They also replace the original music with CD audio, if I remember right (redbook; the DOS CD version doesn't use it)... some fans don't like that and prefer the DOS CD version.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the necro; but if anyone is encountering an error at installation on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate (x64) that reads: "The TIE Fighter setup program was unable to launch. Please make sure the TIE Fighter CD is in the CD-ROM drive or try running SETUP.EXE directly from the Install folder on the TIE Fighter CD-ROM.", here's the way around it:

1.) Make sure you're running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate. To find out which edition of Windows 7 you're running, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.

2.) Find out whether your computer's CPU is capable of hardware-assisted virtualization. To check, download and run the Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool.

• If you receive the message “This computer is configured with hardware-assisted virtualization,” you can run Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode. See the instructions below.
    • If you receive the error message "There is no hardware-assisted virtualization support in the system," your computer's CPU doesn't support hardware-assisted virtualization. You can still use Windows XP Mode by installing an update to Windows 7. See Why am I receiving errors about hardware-assisted virtualization (HAV) when I try to use Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC?. Be aware that XP Mode will run much better if hardware-assisted virtualization can be enabled.
    • If you receive an error message saying "Hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled," this means your computer supports hardware-assisted virtualization, but you need to change settings in your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) to turn on hardware-assisted virtualization. Procedures to turn on virtualization settings in your computer's BIOS vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the computer manufacturer's website.

3.) Download and install Windows XP Mode:

• Go to the Windows XP Mode page in Download Center.
    • Under Quick Details, select your language.
    • Click Continue and follow the instructions on the screen to validate your copy of Windows 7.
    • Select a version of Windows XP Mode to install and click Install.
    • Note: WindowsXPMode_N versions do not include Windows Media Player.
    • Click Run in your browser's message bar, and follow the instructions on the screen.
    • When setup is completed, click Finish.

4.) Download and install Windows Virtual PC

• Go to the Windows Virtual PC page in Download Center
    • Under Quick Details, select your language.
    • Click Continue and follow the instructions on the screen to validate your copy of Windows 7.
    • Select a version of Windows Virtual PC to install and click Install.
    • Note: The x64 version works with 64-bit versions of Windows 7. The x86 version works with 32-bit versions of Windows 7. To find out if your PC is running 32- or 64-bit Windows 7, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. 32-bit and 64-bit information appears next to System type.
    • Click Run in your browser's message bar, and follow the instructions on the screen.
    • Click Yes to install Update for Windows (KB958559).
    • If you accept the license terms, click I Accept.
    • After installation is complete, click Restart Now to restart your computer.

5.) Setup Windows XP Mode for first use:

• Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.
    • If you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.
    • On the Installation folder and credentials page, accept the default location where Windows XP Mode files will be stored, or choose a new location.
    • Type a password, type it again to confirm it, and then click Next.
    • On the Help protect your computer page, decide whether you want to help protect your computer by turning on automatic updates, and then click Next.
    • Click Start Setup.
    • After setup is complete, Windows XP Mode opens in a separate window.

6.) Install and use a program in Windows XP Mode:

• In Windows 7, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.
    • In Windows XP Mode, insert the program's installation disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive; or browse to the program's installation file, open the file, and follow the instructions to install the program.
    • Click the Close button Picture of the Close button at the top of the Windows XP Mode window.
    • In Windows 7, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Windows Virtual PC, click Windows XP Mode Applications, and then click the program you want to open.

If you still have trouble, let me know and I'll try to help. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow great post thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Now why would you want to go to all that trouble??

Use this: http://www.markusegger.at/Software/Games/Default.aspx

GO there, download the file according to the version of Tie, XWing, and even the Indiana Jones games you have and follow the instructions. You'll end up with a new installation disc that will install it to a 64bit version of windows.

Easy and only costs you a little time and a CDR. This also works for ALL version of Win7 not having to pay for the most spendy versions with that bullshit they pulled hiding XP mode inside that and not in the main home users version which was really classy by Microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CPLWeeks View Post
    Sorry for the necro; but if anyone is encountering an error at installation on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate (x64) that reads: "The TIE Fighter setup program was unable to launch. Please make sure the TIE Fighter CD is in the CD-ROM drive or try running SETUP.EXE directly from the Install folder on the TIE Fighter CD-ROM.", here's the way around it:
    Isn't this the bog-standard procedure for running any application in XP Mode?

Also, doesn't XP Mode already include Virtual PC? I thought it did.