Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic video game stores suck.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There has never been a batch of classic game stores around here really. But I have gotten some good stuff at GameCrazy before they went off the classic-plastic and went belly-up and I've also made killer scores at one of the Play-n-Trades that used to be around here. The only surviving indy store I know of is a long drive away. It just opened earlier this year and I can only manage to get down there once a month at best. Got good things there too.

The thing is, someone operating a classic game store is going to know their market (if they want to survive). You're not going to take them to the woodshed value-wise and cherry pick on the cheap like you can the pawns or the flea vendors. They're specialized! That has got to be worth something. Finds are much more consistent to boot, thanks to them knowing what is in demand and such. I'd post a supply/demand/price intersect here, but that's a little overkill.

I'm not saying they're all good at all. Most the Play-n-Trades were pathetic by report and by what I saw myself. There are good ones out there, even if they are hard to find as they have been for me.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-05-2010 at 09:00 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) punkrockdave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least you get to go to a dedicated classic video game store, I'd pay a little extra to dig through physical copies of carts. Maybe it's because I'm all about instant gratification.
    Last edited by punkrockdave; 10-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
    PSN- jorge0 YAY cyberpunk music: myspace.com/DJHolokost

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    I think people who say "Classic video game stores suck" suck.

The earth is not going to implode because an indie store goes out of busniess.

The earth might not, but I did - and have yet to recover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Wasn't the original NES released at the $200 mark? Maybe even higher? I was just a wee lad, but I could have sworn the NES wasn't exactly a cheap piece of equipment back in the '80s. Sorry, maybe I am reading this wrong, but now I'm curious as to the original NES launch price.
    In my area, the SNES launched at $199. The NES "zapper set" was priced at $109.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    There has never been a batch of classic game stores around here really. But I have gotten some good stuff at GameCrazy before they went off the classic-plastic and went belly-up and I've also made killer scores at one of the Play-n-Trades that used to be around here. The only surviving indy store I know of is a long drive away. It just opened earlier this year and I can only manage to get down there once a month at best. Got good things there too.

The thing is, someone operating a classic game store is going to know their market (if they want to survive). You're not going to take them to the woodshed value-wise and cherry pick on the cheap like you can the pawns or the flea vendors. They're specialized! That has got to be worth something. Finds are much more consistent to boot, thanks to them knowing what is in demand and such. I'd post a supply/demand/price intersect here, but that's a little overkill.

I'm not saying they're all good at all. Most the Play-n-Trades were pathetic by report and by what I saw myself. There are good ones out there, even if they are hard to find as they have been for me.
    This is what I'm talking about. Most classic stores that have any form of decent prices will go belly under in the long run. The ONLY way for a pure classic video game store to stay afloat is to charge way above market price for games. I probably shouldn't have mentioned flea markets and thrift stores. That seems to have confused everyone.

I think people who say "Classic video game stores suck" suck.
    I've never been in the DP store, so I don't know the prices. From what I've seen at the online rarity guide, if that's the prices you charge, some are really good, some are spot on, some are majorly under priced, and some are majorly over priced.

The earth might not, but I did - and have yet to recover.
    My point exactly. Any decent classic gaming store with great inventory generally doesn't last. Any one that does usually has something else going for it.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny that you take up on agreement with my post, because I thought I was rebutting you. I don't think any of the evidence out there indicates what you are saying at all.

GameCrazy closed because they were run by marginally-functional retards and had the dead weight of a parent company video store that killed any good they could have managed to scrape together on their own.

Play-n-Trade is/was a total crap shoot. The only good one that I knew of was run out by their neighbor businesses buying their lease out from under them, forcing them out. That is why you never allow your business to become the local teenage human garbage hangout spot... I loved the store itself, but some of the kids that seemed to nearly be permanent fixtures were beyond obnoxious, loud as hell and half of them could be considered scene kid rejects that try to hard to be liked or hated, never settling for anything between.

The new indy store that I have been going to for about half a year now has a great selection and the prices range from a bit less than going to a smidge more. Rare is it you find something super stupid cheap or laughably expensive. Plus, the best thing going for this one is the owner. He is simply an awesome guy. I'm working to try to get a local gamer meet established with his store as the gathering beacon (yes, something somewhat like NAVA). He tells me that he was surprised by the reception his store has had as he was certain the first year or two would be a tooth and nail fight against red ink and overhead. I took that as his venture was doing much better than planned, if not outright well.

It takes something of a miracle to keep a poor enterprise going for long, but one disastrous thing can take down an otherwise healthy one... A store with fair pricing and good selection does have a lot going for it rather than against it though. Those are merely the fundamentals. Many other things can go to pot, and many of those are outside of operators direct control in some cases too.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I have not seen a store that carries 8 and 16 bit games in over 2 years. Quit bitching nancy.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    If that damn leprechaun would ever give up his gold I would buy way more games at B&M shops.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Oh man. It sucks that you don't have anything reasonable in your area. BUT. In Virginia Beach there is a store called COOL STUFF.

This place is the friggin BOMB. The prices are reasonable. It is like a pawn shop for movies and video game stuff. I HATE HATE HATE driving to va beach from hampton cause of the damn tunnel traffic here. But as soon as I stride through the front door of that place, it all washes away. Remember when you were a kid and you couldnt wait to go to a certain store??? Thats how this place is and I am 27 years old. Ok, I am done plugging this place, I just wanted to say don't give up finding a good retro game shop!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Open your own store, mark SMB3 for 5 bucks, ???, Profit? or not?

Tell me how that goes, thanks.

BTW, Captain Obvious here! My work is done! Up, Up and all that! WHOOOSH!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah honestly this works both ways.

You complain you can't find Secret of Mana for $10, why? If you want to find amazing classics for $10 and resell them, it's for your own "needs", so it should not carry over to your hatred to game stores for doing research.

As a collector of course I looked for cheaper stuff elsewhere, but if I needed something at a classic game store, I would pay market value.

Complaining about not being able to find crazy deals on stuff at classic game stores is kind of wtf....

Trying running one and then having to pay someone 30% of their value for stuff and see how they react to that, ....

I'm pretty fair on pricing and I have tons of 50 cent cheap crap bins and $1 boxes, but I am selling every single Mario/Zelda popular title at market value because they always sell at those prices and I pay decently to bring them in. No point in changing it...

It's like the guy who was complaining our Final Fantasy VIII for PS1 was $17.99 CIB

Him: You can buy it new on Amazon for that!
    Me: Go ahead and buy it on Amazon then!

We're also here for convenience you know...stores have that luxury and there are fewer and fewer these days for such a thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Now, there's another guy, conveniently closer to me, who sells classic games. He isn't giving the stuff away but his prices are fair, usually a little lower than online, and you get a square deal from him. He sold me Dragon Warrior 3 loose for, I think it was about $15. No, it's not an amazing deal that would have people oohing an ahhing in the finds thread here, but it wasn't a ripoff either.

So simply saying "classic game stores suck" isn't fair, because they're not all like that.
    I discovered a Dragon Warrior II CIB for $2 in awesome condition 3 years ago. Gave the box+inserts to Daria and the cartridge to a friend, no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinChargers View Post
    One of my greatest finds came from a B&M classic video game shop. I got Master Builder (R8) for the 2600 for $3. The one in my area has (or had, I haven't been there in awhile) all Atari carts for $3 no matter what the title or rarity.

Granted there prices are quite high, higher than ebay even, on most of there other stuff.
    About two years ago I saw a copy of Karate on the 2600 at a retro gaming shop and I knew some print of it was rare, but just not sure how to identify it. So I thought it was the Ultravision and ended up as the far more common Froggo Games release. It's all good since I did pick up Meteorites from them for $5 CIB and very nice condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch3008 View Post
    Oh man. It sucks that you don't have anything reasonable in your area. BUT. In Virginia Beach there is a store called COOL STUFF.

This place is the friggin BOMB. The prices are reasonable. It is like a pawn shop for movies and video game stuff. I HATE HATE HATE driving to va beach from hampton cause of the damn tunnel traffic here. But as soon as I stride through the front door of that place, it all washes away. Remember when you were a kid and you couldnt wait to go to a certain store??? Thats how this place is and I am 27 years old. Ok, I am done plugging this place, I just wanted to say don't give up finding a good retro game a bushop!
    Cool Stuff is alright. They have a lot of inventory that is cheap at the moment due to their own mismanagements and same "hardcore" gamers behind the counter for years. Don't get me wrong, I buy from there every few months (grabbed a dozen SMS games a few weeks ago CIB/$1 each) but there are a bunch of other great places to look around on the South Side; if that was the only place you dug then I'm sorry. Check out the following next time:
    X-Treme Media
    Replays
    Video Game Heaven

There are also a ton of typical Game Stop, Play 'n Trade, and Game Crazy stores along with lots of pawn shops and thrift stores to rummage through.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I must be lucky in that I have several stores in the area that offer fair prices. The one local chain that is somewhat overpriced still isn't too over the top. I still get most of my stuff from thrift stores though, when they aren't pricing stuff crazy high that is. Yesterday I saw a loose Mario Party 3 at Goodwill for $30 and a loose Goldeneye for $20.
    I'm in this boat too.
    We've got 3 stores, one local chain dedicated to games, another regional chain that also does movies and cds, and then one local guy who also runs a thrift store.

the local guy isn't going to give you anything that'll blow your socks off, price-wise, but he's an awesome guy, knows his stuff, and is decently cheaper than ebay.

the regional chain mostly bases its stuff off ebay, but the area manager tells everyone to price em a few bucks lower than a comparable copy (I know this because I just started working with him)

as for the local chain, this place is just freaking awesome! I've never seen anything overly overpriced there, and i've even found some pretty sweet deals there, like Mega Man legends 2 for $18 CIB

as for the whole B&M pricing, it's generally done by what sells, hence the $15 mario, hell, i can't find one locally for less than $18, and it ALWAYS sells, same thing with all-stars and world on snes, those are both ~$20

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm, I feel I should chime in here. While I'm only a mere walk from the Midwest Gaming Expo when it's going on (just West of Milwaukee), there's not really squat for game stores here. We've got several mega Media Exchanges that sell games for the usual at or above online prices, ex: 5 copies of FF7 in their case for $70 a piece, $30 Mario Karts, etc.. basically the places college kids go to buy 'old school N64's, man'.
    Oconomowoc has a store (not sure if I should name it? If you live in the area you'll know) that just plain sucks. It's about half DVDs, half games, but the shelves are loaded with nothing more than dozens of SNES and Genesis sports titles, and innumerable copies of Mario/ Duck Hunt and other crap. This place really sums up the terrible side of some old game stores.
    One afternoon I was looking in their glass case up front, thinking it odd how they NEVER get any good games in, when I see a giant stack of games on the floor: Klonoa, the Suikodens, sealed Saga Frontiers, etc. I asked if I could see them and the girl said sure and put the stack on the case. After excitedly looking through all of them, I asked her for the prices, and she told me 'Oh, they're NOT FOR SALE, but I could get their Ebay name and buy them on there'. I was flabergasted, and naturally left, but I decided to go back the next day and see if someone else with any sense was working. Sure enough the owner was, and he told me the same thing. I asked him what advantage I had over any other item on Ebay and he said 'well, I guess you could save on shipping.' Then I asked him for a reason that I should ever revisit his store and he just shrugged. What a crock. Now WHILE I'm standing in there, 3 hipster kids come in with a copy of FF7 and tell the guy they need beer money. He offers them $5 for it, and they say sure. Well, I told them I would give them $6. The owner got furious and threw us all out, and I've never been back. I did get the $6 FF7 and they got their beer. I think.
    The most ironic part is that THAT SAME NIGHT 3 kids broke into his store and stole a few hundred worth of cash. I had an idea of the suspects. But I digress. I know that a game store has to survive somehow and that Ebay is a part of many businesses, but the problem here is that 1- there is no reason to physically go INTO the store, 2 - the store is set up and displayed very poorly regardless of his stock, and 3 - the owner was just a prick with NO customer service skills whatsoever, and didn't care if he lost a potential customer.
    The sad part is that for every place that's run like Digital Press is (and I would LOVE to have a place like that by me, don't get me wrong) you have 5 places like this, that instead of having any reverence or love for the hobby itself only want to make a quick buck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

I love that every other letter of the word Oconomowoc is an O. I'm in Madison, WI but I haven't been to the particular store you're talking about, but we do have a store here in Madison that has taken that all one step further. You can't even buy games there. You can sell them games, and then they put them on ebay. That's it. And I agree, knowing that you can't buy stuff that is there for sale is just plain offensive.

I can see a store selling something on eBay if their inventory gets too high or if it has been sitting on the shelves for a while. And I would hope that these stores are also looking on ebay for ways to find new product cheaply (this is certainly what I would do if I was running a store), but unfortunately not all store owners are logical.

We have a few preplayed video game stores here in Madison that I frequent because I do find good deals there (in box Super Mario 3 for the same price as the cartridge, complete mass effect 2 collectors edition are some examples). But it blows my mind when they have 10 copies of Final Fantasy VII at $50+ each. The economist in me realizes that when you have excess supply, perhaps lowering the price will make these not sit in inventory for eternity.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've found some impressive deals at some stores, and then they'll have prices on something that are totally out of whack with the rest of the world. At local Movie Trading Company stores (owned by the Vintage Stock chain) I've bought Rescue Terra I for the 2600 for $1.99, Lunar for the Sega CD for $19.99, several others that I can't recall off the top of my head too. Then one location will have Atari 2600 Space Invaders marked up to $9.99 in their expensive game case for no real reason, but have thirty on their regular shelf for $1.99 each.

Sure there are some classic game places that tend to overcharge, but not all of them. You know, when I really started collecting more than casually, around 2003, there was only a stall out at the local flea market that had any old games. I had to dig through loads of grungy thrift stores to find anything, but I did end up with a whole lot of good stuff that way. Now, all around the Dallas area there's heaps of shops with classic games in them. There's 13 Movie Trading Company locations, four Console Game Exchange stores, two Play N' Trade stores (with a third one opening up soon), two FX GameExchange stores, and four local independent stores, along with the aforementioned guy out at the flea market. In my area, we are absolutely spoiled as far as classic gaming goes. It's a damn good time to be into retro gaming around these here parts. Sorry if it sounds like I'm rubbing your nose in it, it's just that I'm pretty happy about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A classic game store near me has a different problem -- shitloads of games are out with no price marked. I sure as hell am not going to stand there and ask "how much is this one? and this? and this?" How do they expect to sell anything? Also their loose N64 games are on a rack with the sides of the carts facing out, and the titles written in sharpie on every single cartridge. Really? They couldn't have stuck little labels on?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch695 View Post
    The sad part is that for every place that's run like Digital Press is (and I would LOVE to have a place like that by me, don't get me wrong) you have 5 places like this, that instead of having any reverence or love for the hobby itself only want to make a quick buck.
    This is completely true. As an owner of a good retro game store, it baffles me when I shop around and see these idiots consistently running their stores into the ground. The only saving grace is that when the market for retail games crashes (very soon), most of them will be gone and only the good ones that can adapt will remain.
    *** Visit our store ***
    Gamedeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster BC
    http://www.gamedeals.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Yeah honestly this works both ways.

You complain you can't find Secret of Mana for $10, why? If you want to find amazing classics for $10 and resell them, it's for your own "needs", so it should not carry over to your hatred to game stores for doing research.
    I used bad examples. I shouldn't have mentioned flea markets and cheap prices.

As a collector of course I looked for cheaper stuff elsewhere, but if I needed something at a classic game store, I would pay market value.
    No you wouldn't. You would probably pay twice or three times the market value. That's what my claim is based on.

Complaining about not being able to find crazy deals on stuff at classic game stores is kind of wtf....

Trying running one and then having to pay someone 30% of their value for stuff and see how they react to that, ....
    That's my point. These stores can't really profit unless they have something else going for them. The only way for a classic gaming store to stay afloat is to charge ridiculous prices, like $45 for Mario All-Stars.

I'm pretty fair on pricing and I have tons of 50 cent cheap crap bins and $1 boxes, but I am selling every single Mario/Zelda popular title at market value because they always sell at those prices and I pay decently to bring them in. No point in changing it...

It's like the guy who was complaining our Final Fantasy VIII for PS1 was $17.99 CIB

Him: You can buy it new on Amazon for that!
    Me: Go ahead and buy it on Amazon then!

We're also here for convenience you know...stores have that luxury and there are fewer and fewer these days for such a thing.
    And what's market value for those Zelda games to you? My guess is you probably charge over market value. That's what I've found the majority of these stores to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    You would probably pay twice or three times the market value. That's what my claim is based on.

If somebody's willing to pay that price, then it IS the market value.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!